Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:The Kenton property was purchased by Shirley Helzberg.
people were complaining about parking in that part of town
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:The Kenton property was purchased by Shirley Helzberg.
MMMMoooooooooooooooooooooarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr parkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkingggggggggggggggggggggggggg plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Developer Plans to Convert Former Auto Row Building on McGee Into Offices

...Andrew Brain of Brain Group development plans invest up to $12 million to covert the 100 year-old building at 1824-32 McGee into office space.
The building at 1824 McGee opened in 1919 as the Franklin-Williams Motor Co. Its neighbor at 1832 McGee also opened in 1919 as the Newell Motor Car Co. The corner building at 19th and McGee also is part of the 1824-32 group and will be incorporated into the project.

https://cityscenekc.com/developer-plans ... o-offices/

Google Streetview:

https://tinyurl.com/yct43zzf
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^ im worried that he also bought the corner building next door for parking...

Edit: didn't read the full past. Collision's original sorry did not include that info. Good news!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Building Housing Crossroad’s Favorites YJ’s, Birdies Sold
The red-brick building at the corner of the Crossroad Arts District‘s funkiest retail scene has been sold, leaving unclear the future of its marquee tenants including YJ’s Snack Bar and Birdies.

Dan Sight of Sight Realty has a contract to purchase the 19,000 square-foot building at the northeast corner of 18th and Wyandotte and along with his 29-year-old son, Spencer, plans to redevelop it. He expects the deal to close next month.

https://cityscenekc.com/film-row-buildi ... dies-sold/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

For some reason, I thought Birdies closed up years ago
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

We will have to see how all of this shakes out, but if all the tenants do move out, it will suck for the Crossroads, but could be a great opportunity for an up-and-coming area.

It looks like YJs already has a new location in the "downtown area", however that is defined. The owner saying, "If I can make a difference in another neighborhood, I will" is encouraging. I would love to see YJs go to Troost, the Northeast, or maybe Tower East. A smart developer would be courting all of these business to add cachet to a new area.

I know Spencer Sight and I'm a little surprised that he is involved in this. He seems more likely to be hanging out at YJs than evicting them (though to be fair, that hasn't happened yet). It is good to see that he has his dad getting invested in the urban core.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

The article really shorts Ford's pioneering efforts and business savvy. I'm proud of him for going on the record with rare, actual, passionate opinions. Better journalism had better be forthcoming.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I would love to see YJs go to Troost
I would selfishly love this so much, but I do think it would be a good fit also.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There are many spots on Troost where YJs would work well, but I think Troost Market Collective - 31st and Troost - would be a perfect fit. I'm not sure where things currently stand with their plans, but if the Herrons are still looking to sell all of their buildings, it would be smart to give YJs (and maybe some of the other tenants of that building) free rent in order to sell the surrounding buildings. It's not as if the store fronts are currently drawing income.

As much as I would love YJs on Troost for selfish reasons as well, I think it might even have a bigger impact if they went to the Northeast. The Troost momentum pretty much seems inevitable at this point, but I feel like the Northeast really needs that first establishment with hipster cred to pave the way.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

This is potentially terrible news. For me, that block really embodies everything I value about the Crossroads. Plus, I love all those businesses and artists.

Peggy Noland is living/working in LA now so I kind of doubt she will continue to have a presence here...that's sad.

KC is really starting to change. I just hope we can hold onto what makes us unique and cool!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

5 Restaurants signed on for Parlor KC
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 86214.html

Karbon, a mixture of Yucatan and Middle Eastern dishes. Owner Rinas has worked at The Local Pig, SoT and most recently Jarocho Authentic Mexican Seafood.

"A lot will be my own take on Turkish and Mexican street food," Rinas said. "This is like a tech incubator but for restaurants. It will be a nice challenge to myself. Can I do this?"

Sura Eats, Korean street food. Owner Keeyoung Kim also has a catering company and does pop-up restaurants.

"I will be doing something similar — Korean street food, heavy emphasis on bowls and some late-night options on the weekend," said Kim, who signed a three-year lease. "There's nothing like it in Kansas City, so we can't anticipate how it will go for the late-night specials. I'm excited to be part of the family, to learn and grow with the other chefs."

Mother Clucker, Nashville hot chicken. Derrick Foster, a Kansas City native and owner of Ember BBQ in Santa Ana, Calif., and food hall veteran Andy Nguyen have signed a three-year lease and will focus on Nashville hot chicken and traditional sides, including mac-and-cheese and slaw.

"I've always wanted to put something in Kansas City and to bring Nashville hot chicken to Kansas City, because it isn't available," Foster said. "I think this food hall will be one of the hottest spots for the next five or six years."

Vildhäst, Nordic street food. Josh Rogers and Katee Mclean, owners of Krokstrom Klubb & Market, will offer a variety of sausages (Korvs) and open-faced sandwiches (Smorgas) that are commonly consumed late night in Nordic countries and that they currently serve on the restaurant's bar and happy hour menu.

"Our restaurant, Krokstrom Klubb, is Scandinavian comfort, like what your grandmother would cook," said Rogers, who signed a three-year lease. "This will be street food — hotdogs, sausages, Danish fries — and we will rotate through some seasonal ones. It's a way to try out a new concept and not have to do the long-term thing. Vildhäst stands for 'wild horse.'"

Providence Pizza. It will offer regional-style pizzas, starting with Sicilian, classic Italian, New York and Detroit-style, by brothers Luke and Aaron Salvatore. They opened Providence Pizza restaurant four years ago in Grandview.

"Our claim to fame is different styles and staying true to how they are done," said Luke Salvatore. "But this won't be a sit-down like Grandview so there will be different sizes of pizza, sharable or if you are by yourself, and we will be doing some different concepts and different appetizers. But you will definitely recognize Providence Pizza when you eat there."

Providence had previously created a Korean barbecue pizza with Sura Eats that's on its menu, and Sura Eats has done a pop-up in the Grandview restaurant. So the collaborative aspect of the food hall concept was appealing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Mixed-use project planned for East Crossroads would be ‘largest’ to date

Milhaus, an Indianapolis-based development firm, is planning about 340 market-rate apartments across multiple four-and five-story buildings along with parking and retail and office space for a two-block plot bounded by 19th, Cherry, 20th and Oak streets. The group plans to redevelop an old warehouse on the site into a restaurant.

Brad Vogelsmeier, director of development for Milhaus, said the company hopes to break ground on Phase One of the mixed-use development by the end of the year and finish construction within 18 months after that. Included in Phase One are apartments and retail space facing 19th Street at the corner with Oak Street and the restaurant, which Vogelsmeier said would ideally be a "neighborhood-type hangout spot."

The report advocating PIEA help for the project says the area is a "menace" because of problems including environmental issues, vermin, standing water, disease, sidewalk deterioration, trespassing, vandalism and other crime.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 68189.html
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

I overheard David Ford say YJ's is relocating just west of his restaurant, still in Filmaker's Row.
Plenty of empty storefronts and possibilities there, it should help bring the funkiness to the west.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anonkcmo wrote:I overheard David Ford say YJ's is relocating just west of his restaurant, still in Filmaker's Row.
Plenty of empty storefronts and possibilities there, it should help bring the funkiness to the west.
That's awesome! It's weird how vibrant one block of 18th is and then... crickets.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Rumor I heard is that YJ's is going into the former Sylvia's space.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

chrizow wrote:Rumor I heard is that YJ's is going into the former Sylvia's space.
Sounds about right. His exact words were "just west of here down the street."
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Oh, jeez, I hope they don't start another "Crossroads/Westside" identity battle. Just say you're on Washington and be done with it.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

So it appears that something may be happening in the W 17th St. TIF area.

For agenda the PZED Committee meeting tomorrow, under "Held In Committee", there is an item as follows:

"Approving and designating Redevelopment Project A of the W. 17th Street Tax Increment Financing Plan as a Redevelopment Project and adopting tax increment financing therefor; and directing the City Clerk to transmit copies of this ordinance."

Followed by similar items for Projects B, D, and E.

The TIF area was created in 2008 and the only project that has been completed is the Vitagraph building (it was Project C). The Helzberg garage at 17th and Wyandotte falls in these boundaries, but I don't think it used the TIF. I believe the proposed BNIM headquarters was to use this TIF, but failed.

My first thought is that this could have something to do with why the lot proposed for the UMKC Conservatory is no longer available. However, that lot falls just outside of the boundaries - unless there is something big in the works for that site, plus A,B,D, and E in the TIF area.

Here is a map of the TIF Project sites:

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I believe the proposed BNIM headquarters was to use this TIF, but failed.

That was project A