Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Misc Crossroads News

Post by cdschofield »

Here's a few bits of news for the Crossroads, forgive me if any of it has been mentioned somewhere else. An "ultra lounge" is going in at 1520 Grand called Skybar and the old Sammich Shop location is going to be a beer garden. The Farm is moving towards having more live shows throughout the month other than just First Fridays, this Friday John Doe will be there. There is the possibility that another small live music venue will open up in the East Crossroads. Due to popular demand the Gay Pride Street party will keep going a little later this June's First Friday.

Evidently after the recent Sasaki presentation Barnes talked about wanting to remove the M-1 (industrial) zoning from the Crossroads which sent shudders through the Crossroads community since most in the neighborhood want to continue to allow future industrial uses in the Crossroads. I don't think the zoning change will take place since it seems there has been a quick and polite response to Barnes that light industrial companies are welcomed in the neighborhood and are important for it's uniqueness. The Crossroads community is becoming ultra sensitive to gentrification and is scrutinizing any proposal that could damage it's uniqueness from streetscaping to a baseball park.

There is talk that the city is willing to give the Crossroads a blanket parking variance now instead of waiting for the new building and zoning codes to be implemented in about 2 years. Some or maybe all businesses under 2,500 sf would not be required to have parking.

The organic farmers market will be back this summer at 18th & Wyandotte. Local Harvest is consolidating their operations at 18th & Wyandotte.

Because the numbers of people are becoming so crushing on First Fridays there are some serious discussions to come up with some new events or stagger some existing events on other weekends of the month for next year.

I think the Rime Buddhist Center on Pennway is starting some sort of open house or community outreach thing on First Fridays and are wanting to expand their involvement in the Crossroads neighborhood.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by ComandanteCero »

wow, that's a fountain of info cd, thanks!  i'm glad they are actively thinking about all the issues you mention.  The industrial zoning thing is particularly important, not only in terms of gentrification but also the kind of freedoms the artists in that area have (i.e because industrial zoning is the most inclusive of all zoning categories it basically means any other zoning is also allowed in industrial areas (be it residential or commercial).  It means an artist like Stretch can have his studio, restaurant and his living space in the same or adjacent building and doesn't have to worry about getting variances or any of that rigamarole.  Industrial, in other words, is the closest you'll get to no-holds barred zoning, which is what eclectic and diverse underbelly places are all about. 

As to the FF issue, i think need to do a combination of staggering events through the month while at the same time adding and diversifying the activities available on FF.  In other words, make FF a kind of artsy, alternative town carnival, and deemphasize the gallery crawl aspect of it (make that more of an event for the other more laid back weekends).  And when i say make FF an alternative town carnival, i mean it in every sense of the word, to the degree that i would even suggest a circus tent on some empty lot, hehe (with the caveat that this not be a cheesy circus, but genuinely edgy, fun but scary). 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

I even find my self  longing for some sort of "beautification" of crossroads to satisfy my white middle class upbringing and the desire to have everything "tidy and pretty", but I suppose the organic uproach is unique, and in the end, i think if artists here are given more freedom to express and expand, that ultimatley it will be good for the area and the city as well, because i firmly believe you cant have too many artists in todays crazy world!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i wondered when the Rime Buddhist Center would create more of a presence in the neighborhood.  glad to hear.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The FF crush should be lessend when the P&L District opens.  A lot of the FF crowd are people that are there just because it's the only mass social event in town,  not necessarily for the art.  Once there are more things to do all weekend or all month long, people will be less focused on going to FF.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

^

i dunno.  i think a lot of people that go to FF are there for the FF events.  people can drink and gawk anywhere/anytime.  i dont think JoCo people are just itching to come downtown just to come downtown.

that said, i think that the P+L District and FF will simply play off each other.  P+L will offer more pre and post-FF places to eat/drink, and the crowds will no doubt intermingle.  they will feed symbiotically off each other, like the John Kerry/FF crowds did last August. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

what exactly do these council actions mean? just updating the land use plan?
070208: Amending the Downtown Industrial Area Plan for 369 acres south of I-670/70, west of Troost Avenue, north of the Kansas City Terminal Railway, and east of Broadway, by changing the recommended land use from light industrial to mixed use (commercial, residential and light industrial).
070192: Approving the Crossroads Arts (PIEA) General Development Plan for 369 acres south of I-670/70, west of Troost Avenue, north of the Kansas City Terminal Railway, and east of Broadway; declaring the area included in such plan to be a blighted, unsanitary or undeveloped industrial area and its redevelopment necessary.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

in light of the new Crossroads Arts PIEA, the previous designated land use for the area was primarily industrial.  with the new PIEA plan, the land use classification has changed to incorporate a new "mixed-use" classification which more adequately represents the area.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Permit came across on KivaNet for a new business in the Crossroads:  TOM & RON'S L'ART COIFFURE SALON.

View permit here

KCDowntown
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

KCDowntown wrote: Permit came across on KivaNet for a new business in the Crossroads:  TOM & RON'S L'ART COIFFURE SALON.

View permit here

KCDowntown
I'm pretty sure this is already up and running above Grinders.  Not sure if that is the same address or not.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

CCA blog: 10 Priorities for the Crossroads

note: a controversial "building height/scale limit" is #4.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

hammerpress has moved into the old lula mac space at 110 southwest blvd. and will have a grand opening on oct. 5 (first friday). their flyer touts "cards, posters, invitations" and "fresh cut flowers", so it looks like they'll have a retail presence.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Removing the M1 zoning for the crossroads is only part of the city's growth. with the downtown becoming more dense with the P&L district and the revitalization of downtown as a whole to support retail, residential, and government entities the surrounding areas have to step up to the plate and do things a little different. The crossroads is no exception. they will have to become more retail and residential over time. This ultimately will mean that there be no industrial development in this area. Crossroads will become as time goes by a cultural, arts and residential area.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

OP firm moving to 2020 Baltimore, talking about 135 eventual jobs.  Incentives under MO quality jobs program.  Two other moves to KCMO discussed, briefly...

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that's great news, particularly the tech firm moving to the freight house area.  that will definitely add even more to that already-hot area.  we need more firms like that colonizing buildings over in the east crossroads.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: that's great news, particularly the tech firm moving to the freight house area.  that will definitely add even more to that already-hot area.  we need more firms like that colonizing buildings over in the east crossroads.
According to the star, it's only 15 people but I guess that is a start.  They plan on having a staff of 135 in five years.  We'll see. 

http://www.kansascity.com/382/story/285209.html
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Highlander wrote: According to the star, it's only 15 people but I guess that is a start.  They plan on having a staff of 135 in five years.  We'll see.   

http://www.kansascity.com/382/story/285209.html
There's an article in the Star about this today.  :(  The bad thing is that there will be a net LOSS to downtown as another company is moving about 100 people from DT to OP to occupy the old Applebee's HQ.  They may speak of cooperation between cities in the metro but the war of incentives will continue. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

fishnet security is expanding across the street from their current location at 1710 walnut. the new address is 1709 walnut (a nicholson group property) and it looks to be near completion.

http://www.fishnetsecurity.com/Company/ ... fault.aspx
Headquartered in one of the fastest growing US cities, Kansas City, Missouri, FishNet Security is currently expanding its corporate headquarters to include a unique state-of-the-art Security Operations Center (SOC) and customer briefing center. This sophisticated 15,000 square-foot Security Operations Center will be the base of operations for FishNet Security’s new Managed Security offerings, which are scheduled to hit the market October 1, 2007.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aesthetica, a crossroads retail pioneer, is closing at the end of december. 30% off everything from dec. 5-15, 50% after that.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: aesthetica, a crossroads retail pioneer, is closing at the end of december. 30% off everything from dec. 5-15, 50% after that.
Wow, and they JUST relocated.  Well everything in that store was so damned expensive.  I loved looking, as did a lot of people, but I rarely saw any transactions going down.  I'm not surprised really.  Sure hope it stays a retail store though, since it's a nice windowy corner.