Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Gretz »

Is this that place at 18th and Wyandotte?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah.  I can't believe they are closing.  With the performing arts center coming on line on the next year or two and downtown finally awakening, I can't believe they are leaving.  I could see a fancy restaurant here though (but don't really want to).  Could this move be due to tax increases?  Hope we don't kill this district! 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: Could this move be due to tax increases?  Hope we don't kill this district! 
not sure, since it was in an abated property. how does that work for retail space in a residential building that has a property tax abatement? everytime i went in there i was the only person, which is a shame because he carried such cool stuff. with his mad gift-wrapping skillz, i doubt he'll be out of the biz for long...
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

Did anyone see that the Dolphin building is for sale?

It says that the Dolphin is relocating. 

http://www.thedolphingallery.com/building/
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

Kemper Museum will expand to CrossroadsKansas City Business Journal

The Kemper Museum of Contemporary of Art will expand into the Crossroads Arts District, museum founder Crosby Kemper Jr. said Friday.

Kemper said he had signed a contract for the museum's purchase of the Dolphin gallery on Friday afternoon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... a=from_rss
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that is such great news!  the kemper expanding into the crossroads makes a ton of sense, and the dolphin is the perfect venue for it.  i'm glad that a cornerstone venue for the downtown art scene will remain an art venue. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i bet the dolphin moves to troost.
studestevo
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by studestevo »

Gretz wrote: Is this that place at 18th and Wyandotte?

Aesthetica appears to be leaving its present location at 18th and Wyandotte in Kansas City Missouri

TMI

Stevo
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: i bet the dolphin moves to troost.
I thought they were supposed to be going to the west bottoms?
troostwood
Pad site
Pad site

Post by troostwood »

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I thought they were supposed to be going to the west bottoms?
yeah the Star article about the Kemper expansion says the Dolphin owner is looking at properties in the west bottoms. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Man, I was still hoping Kemper would come through at the end and renovate the old Opera house into a downtown satellite.
Last edited by ComandanteCero on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was also hoping the Kemper would also possibly renovate and expand into the Grand Opera House, or West High School on Summit.
There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it makes more sense for them to be at ground zero for the crossroads foot traffic.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Great news about the Kemper.  However, it is sad to see the Dolphin leave...I always loved their displays in the windows and on that little billboard thing on the side.  I wish they would just move to another place in the crossroads.  Lets hope this doesn't become a huge trend of artists leaving.  Any bets on when the first Starbucks opens in the area?  I'd say fall 2008.  haha
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Midtownkid wrote: Great news about the Kemper.  However, it is sad to see the Dolphin leave...I always loved their displays in the windows and on that little billboard thing on the side.  I wish they would just move to another place in the crossroads.  Lets hope this doesn't become a huge trend of artists leaving.  Any bets on when the first Starbucks opens in the area?  I'd say fall 2008.  haha
The crossroads is still VERY under utilized and under developed and it covers a very large area.  A little gentrification might actually help the area sustain its momentum by bringing in more traffic.  Retail still has a hard time down there.

There is room for both.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I really wouldn't have a problem with places like starbucks, whole foods, crate and barrel etc coming down there as long as a funky vibe remains in some areas and artists stay.  First Fridays are so amazing.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Midtownkid wrote: ...Lets hope this doesn't become a huge trend of artists leaving...
It may or may not be a trend just yet, but the rent increased by a third to double in the Leedy building a few months back. I can't blame the landlord, as trying to cover the recent tax increases is necessary for their continued ownership of the building. Anyway, there was a mass-exodus of residents from the Leedy when the increase happened. Most if not all of them were artists.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would have liked to see the Kemper go into the old City National Bank building instead of the Scientologists.  Another good building for the Kemper would have been the old Corrigan Building on Walnut and 18th.  Even the Missouri Engravers building on McGee would have been good.
There is no fifth destination.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

joyce smith's column from yesterday mentioned that "Peruvian Connections" is moving into the Aesthetica space. 

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/554686.html

"The store is scheduled to open in late April.

Peruvian Connection’s designers create the custom dyes, drawings and patterns. The knit and woven designs are then made into apparel, mostly in Peru. The company has a store in the United Kingdom, as well as stores in New Mexico, Maryland and Vermont. A flagship store is to open in Washington, D.C., in May."