Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by rxlexi »

i think there's still plenty of momentum on the east edge. it's scrappy, just like the west edge was 10 years ago.
  Therein lies one of the Xroads biggest problems right now.  Property values are way too high for what you get, in the western xroads...high enough to drive out artists and the DIY crowd, as well just about any urban minded younger folks...and yet there is little if any development on the radar, and new construction lofts are rental is unjustifiable, because property values aren't that high yet, and retail sits empty, etc. etc.  As cool as the area is, it (to me) is sitting in limbo between a true, organic arts district and a more high end urban chic loft district...and it's not pulling off either one with any spectacular results.  The west edge is no longer scrappy, but it's a long way from being a real hot spot, yet.

Problem 2 lies in the xroads spread out nature, but that's a whole 'nother issue.  I'm more concerned that the neat indie stuff is being driven out...but the big money that should follow in it's wake is nowhere to be found.  Exhibit A, of course, is the failed Broadway tower.
are we spinning free?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: Problem 2 lies in the xroads spread out nature, but that's a whole 'nother issue.  I'm more concerned that the neat indie stuff is being driven out...but the big money that should follow in it's wake is nowhere to be found.  Exhibit A, of course, is the failed Broadway tower.
i brought up this issue at the area plan meeting last week, and i hope the crossroads leaders see merit in it. basically, we need nodes of activity since the area is so large and so sparsely occupied: main and/or grand for restaurants and clubs, cross-streets for galleries, wyandotte for boutiques... stuff like that. not strict, just a general identity (like w. 39th). there are few enough property owners to make it work, i think. people in kansas city don't respond well to spotty retail coverage, and it might alleviate the parking issue by making people less likely to insist on a front door spot.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think the big thing for the Crossroads is to continue building residential population.  With the P/L district open and the economy in a slump i think it'll be tough to open new restaurants/bars in the area for the next year or two.  Retail would seem like the natural place to take a lead, but again, with the economy the way it is it's pretty tough to make that work it seems. 

However, maybe if the property owners were willing to take a lead in trying to jumpstart something by way of offering store fronts for below market rents who knows... It seems like the folks along 18th between Baltimore and Wyandotte tried that, and it worked out decently (considering it's the only existing retail node in the Crossroads).  Of course, there's only so much attraction one block's worth of retail is going to have, and they've had a good amount of turnover over the years.

The most promising node, in my opinion, would be Grand just south of the P/L district.  A)  It has high visibility, large traffic counts in terms of cars going by.  B) Proximity to the P/L district and Arena provides the potential for capturing some of that pedestrian traffic C)  For about a block before hitting the Star parking lots it's pretty intact. 

Right now, other than some destination retailers (i.e Bob Jones), i don't think many people are going to say "hey, lets drive downtown to walk up and down that one block".  However, with the P/L district nearby, folks heading to the district might say "hey, there are some funky shops just a block away.... (next to the titty bar...but we'll ignore that for now)... let's check it out!".

Of course, with Cordish putting a lot of its retail over on the other side of the district, i don't see much synergy coming off of that... (one of the more annoying aspects of the District in my opinion is how the stuff facing Grand really fails to live up to the street they face)....

but getting back to my point... yeah, Grand.  Of course, i may be biased, because it's my firm belief that Grand could/should be our Michigan Avenue.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

not sure if this is news, or whether it has been mentioned, but Phenom (the avant-urban wear store at 15xx grand next to cigar box) has closed and is empty. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

great... :(
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

This ground has been covered many times before - but no small clothing retailer is ever likely to suceed when it is five blocks+ from the next closest retailer. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Story in the Star today about the New Kemper Branch in the Crossroads.  It's to open in November

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 28494.html

Here is a rendering from Artdaily.org

Last edited by Midtownkid on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Wow, they really pulled out all the stops with that rendering!!!  :P

Very subtle changes.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, it's not going to look all that spectacular really.  I wish they would still employ the 'billboard' on the corner. (it appears they won't).  It could just be a sign for the gallery or something that changes with each exhibit.  It really gave that intersection some interest.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Certainly hope they do some nice street/sidewalk scaping.  8)
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

yeah, I was hoping for something with a little more pop re: the Kemper's Xroads design.  That's a very prominent Xroads corner, and could stand to have an eye catching facade or lighting treatment, or something.  Nonetheless the Kemper's move downtown makes me very, very happy, and provides some legitimate big money arts backing along with the upcoming PAC.

I do wish Dolphin had relocated elsewhere in the Xroads, rather than along an empty stretch of the West Bottoms...we need the all of the arts related density we can get in the Xroads, and we need it yesterday!
are we spinning free?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Vespa Dealership is coming to 19th and Main according to the Star.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

KCMax wrote: Vespa Dealership is coming to 19th and Main according to the Star.
I noticed a sign in the window the other day.  I hope they do well.  It's a great space.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Which corner/building is this going in?  The little white terracotta building or it's gray neighbor to the east...(not actually on main...19th, off main?)
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

The gray one.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Cool, it's about time they fill that space. :)  Funny how 5 years ago it really looked like that area was becoming the new 'gay' area (Natasha, 'in the life', and DB)...now all those places are gone. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anybody get a chance to check out the new kemper space or the vespa store? both were open last night. we only made it to the kemper.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

DaveKCMO wrote: anybody get a chance to check out the new kemper space or the vespa store? both were open last night. we only made it to the kemper.

I went into the new Kemper Space. Went in around 8pm and it was pretty crowded. Very interesting installation but it was not my kind of thing so I can't say too much about it. I made a few videos of the place. I'll post them once I get them on youtube.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

The Vespa store is really cool!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Anyone else go to the new Kemper?  I am hungry for details!  Was it awesome, or just so so?  Hoping to see those videos soon.  (Info on the web is really sparse)