Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote:Did anyone walk or spend time on Oak outside of a car, maybe talk to any of the business owners or residents?
If the road diet was doing something you would think that the change would be even a little bit perceptible to drivers. That’s certainly true of other road diets I’ve driven on. Sorry if you don’t think that talking about whether this was successful or not is productive.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:Did anyone walk or spend time on Oak outside of a car, maybe talk to any of the business owners or residents?
If the road diet was doing something you would think that the change would be even a little bit perceptible to drivers. That’s certainly true of other road diets I’ve driven on. Sorry if you don’t think that talking about whether this was successful or not is productive.
If you paid attention to the parking signs you would have noticed that until a few weeks ago that just SB had missing, mismatched or a former bus spot a total of 5 places in 12 blocks.

my favorite was the 9-4 parking sign pointing to a 9-6 parking sign for a zone 3 cars long.

This isn’t a street that has had thought put towards it and getting out and walking would have identified this.

We got painted bumpouts at a few places and the same lane design. Code says a 10 feet parking gap is required at EVERY corner. So those new marked no parking spots should be the minimum standard for every parking lane.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Bummer, improved parking signage means more people are going to realize the place I usually park when going to iTap is in fact legal parking. ;)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

All of the parking signage has been updated. What was once a rush hour travel lane is now all-day parking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that is definitely an upgrade. Pretty shitty that the city didn't provide crosswalks w/o having to be paid for from PIAC.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:All of the parking signage has been updated. What was once a rush hour travel lane is now all-day parking.
The signs changed, yes.
Practically speaking with no enforcement it was all-day parking already. You couldn't take the outside lanes because there were always cars parked in them.

I took Oak into work this morning. Noticed I was being quickly passed by everyone through the crossroads.

I checked and found I was going 30 which is over the speed limit. So every other car was going at least 40.
That's what this road was designed to allow.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ask the businesses on Oak if there was no enforcement of the previous parking regs.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crossroads seems like the only area parking enforcement works...and with no mercy.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

flyingember wrote: Practically speaking with no enforcement it was all-day parking already. You couldn't take the outside lanes because there were always cars parked in them.
I think this is the main reason nothing seems different to me. I have never driven in the outside lanes, and never seen them anyone else do it either, because they have always had cars parked in them.

I was out walking around the area last night and honestly the only thing I could see that changed was the painted lines marking the no-parking next to the metal man statue outside the CBD Store, and another set of matching markings a block north. South of 18th it didn't seem that they had finished working yet.

(As for the parking signs, I couldn't guess what's different because whenever I've parked in that area it's always been evenings or weekends so I've never looked at the signs beyond making sure I wasn't in a no-parking zone.)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I just realized I was wrong about something on Oak that's a key detail and it explains a lot.

US 71 to downtown didn't exist in 1997, it wasn't finished as a road until 2001, so it wasn't that long ago that Oak would have been used for inbound traffic from the south. Get off 71 at US 56, turn north onto Troost, to 18th to Oak.

This traffic count data gives us numbers each direction on Oak (go to the page with line 470) that's better than my anecdotes.
https://data.kcmo.org/Traffic/Traffic-C ... /s7kw-x59n

At peak morning hours you can see there's now more cars heading SB until you hit 19th. You can see a lot more EB traffic on 19th than 18th and more WB traffic at 18th. So it appears most cars in this area take Oak SB and enter the crossroads at 18th. This makes sense, 18th is a 35mph road until just west of Main so it would get more use. I would guess 19th EB is traffic is drivers taking Oak from 22nd and turning to double back south to the Children's Mercy lots because it would take longer to get off at Truman.

Gillham at 27th has more SB traffic in these counts, showing this trend continues south through the end of downtown. Holmes/Truman has less cars WB than Oak and Truman, showing more cars take Truman after the one-way split than before it, and Oak is the major SB street in this area.

To be fair the numbers don't differ by much, it's not a 3:1 ratio, but they consistently show more SB traffic.

I checked google street view and the 1800 block didn't have a 9-6 pointing to a 9-4 sign. It was a 7-4 sign pointing to a 7-6 sign. So that one block allowed parking during peak hours already. The 1900 block didn't have any hours control, it was a 24-hour parking zone that ended where 20th would be at. Both blocks were already signed for two lanes SB

If we look at Truman to 18th SB the signs disallowed parking 4-6. So it's signed for outbound traffic in the afternoon coming from the CBD expecting people to turn at 18th

NB north of 19th was no parking 7-9, one hour 9-6. South of 19th was no parking. So it's signed for inbound traffic in the morning going to the CBD

It appears the city never flipped the no parking hours to adjust for changing traffic patterns after US 71 opened. It doesn't matter what parking enforcement there was or wasn't because for more drivers parking was always allowed in the outbound lanes at peak hours.

We're finally seeing the traffic control changed for a post-US 71 environment. So when this change is underwhelming it's because it's 15 years behind.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

"So when this change is underwhelming it's because it's 15 years behind."

I think those words are engraved on the wall in the council chamber.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

flyingember wrote:I just realized I was wrong about something on Oak that's a key detail and it explains a lot.

US 71 to downtown didn't exist in 1997, it wasn't finished as a road until 2001, so it wasn't that long ago that Oak would have been used for inbound traffic from the south. Get off 71 at US 56, turn north onto Troost, to 18th to Oak.
I didn't move back to KC until 1995, but I think you could get pretty close to downtown starting in the early/mid 90's - even though it wasn't completed. The first section opened in 1990. I'm guessing a lot of people would get off and use the Paseo at different points before they'd head all the way back to Oak. But I'm just guessing.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote:
flyingember wrote:I just realized I was wrong about something on Oak that's a key detail and it explains a lot.

I didn't move back to KC until 1995, but I think you could get pretty close to downtown starting in the early/mid 90's - even though it wasn't completed. The first section opened in 1990. I'm guessing a lot of people would get off and use the Paseo at different points before they'd head all the way back to Oak. But I'm just guessing.
There's aerial photos available from pieces of the construction at https://www.historicaerials.com/

1990, 96 and 97 are during the construction period
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:Renovation has started on 1735 Locust.

Hutch has moved into 1735 Locust.

https://cityscenekc.com/omaha-based-hut ... rossroads/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:Disc Golf Building renovation, E. 18th Street between Cherry and Locust. March 6, 2018.

Finished renovation. Photo: July 13, 2018.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:
Critical_Mass wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:Hey what’s going on with the warehouse building across from the substation on 19th and Cherry?

2 pages back:
Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am

new event space at 19th and cherry: https://www.theabbottkc.com
The Abbott KC event space under construction.

The Abbott. Photo: July 13, 2018.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

1607 Oak housing O'Neill Marketing & Events. Photo: July 13, 2018. This building used to house Posterworx. The building is south of Vee Village.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Renovation of 1707 Locust for Parlor KC food hall. Photo: July 13, 2018.

Crossroads food hall signs 5 restaurant tenants, from pizza to Korean street food

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 86214.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

1608 Locust renovation complete. July 18, 2018. Home of Alaris Litigation.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Does anyone know what is going into 1919 Wyandotte?