Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by grovester »

I'm totally OK if it's a temp thing, but something tells me we'll be waiting on their conversions much like parking lots.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the former meers advertising space will become a community america branch: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ranch.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Crossroads....more like bankroads
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote:Crossroads....more like bankroads
Really?! How many new banks do we have on Main Street now? Not the best retail.

BTW, congrats on 15 years for kcrag.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Banks are a proxy for lots of residential in an area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

beautyfromashes wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Crossroads....more like bankroads
Really?! How many new banks do we have on Main Street now? Not the best retail.

BTW, congrats on 15 years for kcrag.
15 years? wow. I thought the anniversary was January sometime?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I think he meant your "Joined" date under your avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ahhh, yeah no idea if that date is anything given all the database/domain/bbs moves....
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Went to Swordfish Tom's last night. Almost too authentic, I half expected re-enactors to show up at any moment. Don't get me wrong, the drinks were absolutely killer, and though expensive, very generous.

I will make my way through their drink menu, but not more than once a month.

We went early, anyone been late? What's the crowd like? How many folks fit in that spot?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

like 15 I think?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Right? Nice of them to put theater seats in the waiting area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

couple of updates:

1808 mcgee looks nearly finished for a tenant

the "disc golf" building is getting new windows to house the "made in KC" HQ

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Just wanted to say it is totally so sad what has happened to the East Crossroads since the streetcar was built. Everything you think is happening is a lie. There is only the appearance that momentum in the area has actually increased since the streetcar was completed. In reality, things are dire and we should have kept downtown a sleepy backwater with little to no foot traffic on non-First Friday days. People have completely stopped investing in downtown due to property tax increases. /s
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote:Just wanted to say it is totally so sad what has happened to the East Crossroads since the streetcar was built. Everything you think is happening is a lie. There is only the appearance that momentum in the area has actually increased since the streetcar was completed. In reality, things are dire and we should have kept downtown a sleepy backwater with little to no foot traffic on non-First Friday days. People have completely stopped investing in downtown due to property tax increases. /s
Things were always going to take more than a year to get going. Just the real estate deals can take a couple years.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

flyingember wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:Just wanted to say it is totally so sad what has happened to the East Crossroads since the streetcar was built. Everything you think is happening is a lie. There is only the appearance that momentum in the area has actually increased since the streetcar was completed. In reality, things are dire and we should have kept downtown a sleepy backwater with little to no foot traffic on non-First Friday days. People have completely stopped investing in downtown due to property tax increases. /s
Things were always going to take more than a year to get going. Just the real estate deals can take a couple years.
Sorry, sarcasm doesn't always come across via the Internet. I'm actually joking about how the East Crossroads has never seen as many people on weeknights. I drove through the area last night, and there were people all over the place. Just a few years ago, it was a ghost town save for people inside the concert venue at Grinder's if there was a concert... the streetcar and "oppressive" tax scheme don't seem to have deterred people from wanting to be in the area. I'd imagine Grinder's lost more money from people boycotting it due to the lawsuit than it has lost money from increased taxes. On the other hand, the boycotting folks may not be noticeable because the streetcar has brought so many new people to the area who don't even realize Stretch tried to prevent the streetcar from being built.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

It's hard to believe how recently it was that Oak was way far east of the action and was pretty much a dead zone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The 18th 19th and 20th ped experience leaves a lot to be desired...crazy to see how many people walk it regularly now...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:The 18th 19th and 20th ped experience leaves a lot to be desired...crazy to see how many people walk it regularly now...
it just goes to show you that -- assuming you're not in a wheelchair -- good content trumps good infrastructure. that being said, let's fix the sidewalks, too!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. Getting that albatross parking lot at 19th and grand removed would be a great first step. I know you aren't a fan of greenspace and event space there....but I still am!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

On the upcoming PIEA schedule has an abatement request for 1717 Walnut, which is the building just north of the Walnut Terrace project that appears to be getting close to completion. Currently, there weren't any details as to what the plans are for the building.

Streetview

KCDowntown