Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by earthling »

This map shows development planned/in progress (blue) around Xroads, development sites (orange) and residential buildings (violet/purple).
https://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/u ... p-2018.pdf

Many surface lots in Xroads!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This map is from March so don't assume everything is accurate with it today. Things have changed already, like #15 was completed months back.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

FangKC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm Bob Jones Shoes is closing.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/downtown-k ... g/22779380
Sorta surprised, but not really. Last time I was in there, maybe a year ago, place was pretty dated. Found a couple pair of dress shoes I liked, but none in my size. Bummer though.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 pm
FangKC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm Bob Jones Shoes is closing.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/downtown-k ... g/22779380
Sorta surprised, but not really. Last time I was in there, maybe a year ago, place was pretty dated. Found a couple pair of dress shoes I liked, but none in my size. Bummer though.
Wish they could have sold it to somebody who would have tried to update it. Land was probably more valuable than the business though.
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 pm Sorta surprised, but not really. Last time I was in there, maybe a year ago, place was pretty dated. Found a couple pair of dress shoes I liked, but none in my size. Bummer though.
I went in to buy some Birkenstocks a couple of years ago and the salesman was really shitty about it. He said his boss(and he used some colorful words to describe the boss) hadn't placed their yearly order for them and tried to get me to go talk the boss to ask/antagonize him why. It was really uncomfortable and I decided this is why people buy things over the internet, because "local business" isn't always the rosy picture everyone portrays.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think the shoes I'm wearing right now for work came from Bob Jones. Better dress shoes selection in one place than about anywhere within reach.

It had the feel of an old shoe store in an old building where they haven't updated the space since 1975 and both the building and decor need work.

I'm a fan of reuse but if ever there was a building that replacing with six stories of something would be valid it's this one.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 am I'm a fan of reuse but if ever there was a building that replacing with six stories of something would be valid it's this one.
I’m hearing this will be what happens and will be announced soon.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I haven't checked permits. Does anyone know what's going in immediately south of this? (Where city barrel brewing was originally slated). Workers have been there past couple of weeks. It's been gutted, all old storefront removed, and today I could see a concrete pump truck on site.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm I haven't checked permits. Does anyone know what's going in immediately south of this? (Where city barrel brewing was originally slated). Workers have been there past couple of weeks. It's been gutted, all old storefront removed, and today I could see a concrete pump truck on site.
Spire Care Crossroads, it's on their website already

http://spiracare.com/care-centers.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:16 am Renovation of 1707 Locust for Parlor KC food hall. Photo: July 13, 2018.

Crossroads food hall signs 5 restaurant tenants, from pizza to Korean street food

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 86214.html
Parlor KC scheduled to open in September.
Here is a list of the eateries available:

Sura Eats -- Korean food specializing in bowls.
Karbón -- Yucatan and middle eastern eats.
Yaki-Ya -- Japanese grilled street food.
Farm to Market Bread Co. -- Sliced meat sandwiches with a farm to table flair.
Vildhäst KC -- Scandinavian street food.
Providence Pizza Co. -- a pizzeria based out of Grandview pops up at Parlor.
Mother Clucker -- Nashville style hot chicken.

https://fox4kc.com/2018/08/23/new-food- ... cal-flair/
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

"I don't think Peggy's retaining her lease. There's a rumor that Birdies will also relocate.

In the article, the developers claim to be getting 'hate mail' but don't elaborate. Actual reporting would enlighten this- and perhaps Sight Commercial Realty could be more transparent about their vision/plans and ease people's fears."

Apparently none of the tenants will remain in that building. The developer told the tenants that "nothing would change for at least a year" before the purchase but has since given everyone until sometime in December to vacate.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

FangKC wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:56 pm
FangKC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:16 am Renovation of 1707 Locust for Parlor KC food hall. Photo: July 13, 2018.

Crossroads food hall signs 5 restaurant tenants, from pizza to Korean street food

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 86214.html
Parlor KC scheduled to open in September.

Unless they've made some amazing progress since that photo was taken I don't see September happening at all. (It seems like most places around here end up about 4-6 months off from their planned opening dates.)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:32 pm
Unless they've made some amazing progress since that photo was taken I don't see September happening at all. (It seems like most places around here end up about 4-6 months off from their planned opening dates.)
The hotel is probably paying for priority with trades to make their first big conventions and that's probably pushing on everyone else's schedule, even competitors of who are building the hotel.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I don't think those two projects are drawing from the same pool of labor.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm I don't think those two projects are drawing from the same pool of labor.
There's a zero chance there's no overlap. It's not like concrete companies are somehow magically setup only to support certain sizes of projects. Steel companies don't choose to make sales only to projects over 20 floors. And so on all the way to the cleaning staff they need to hire before opening being able to get hired in either hotel.

And even if a sub only bids on large projects that means they're not necessarily serving the next largest project which went to someone else, and so on down to the smallest project. A single large project with a hard deadline is going to have a trickle down effect raising prices and/or changing the schedule for everyone else.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So you're saying there's a chance.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

There's a chance that an absolute truth is nonsense.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Need a shot of absolut, thanks.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

McQueeny Lock Building Reopens Its Doors With Three New Tenants