Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm The old KC Star lot (used mostly for newspaper truck parking) on the 1700 block of Locust is being prepped for redevelopment. No sale or permits yet.

Welp, it's being paved so it'll be a surface lot for awhile... presumably for Parlor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Sweatheory, a wellness spa, plans a September opening at 170 E. 19th St.
...It will be in the former Bob Jones Shoes Warehouse building, which is being redeveloped for such tenants as Afterword Tavern & Shelves. East + West was the first tenant to open in the building.
Locally owned Urban Provisions has relocated from the East Bottoms to the Goodrich Alley, 115 W. 18th St., Suite 107.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... rylink=cpy
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

sweatheory is quite possibly the worst portmanteau i have ever seen in my life
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

McQueeny Lock building reopens after renovation (photos).

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lding.html
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

Visited the new YJ's space on Washington and spoke with David Ford.
He gave me a tour of the place.

INCREDIBLE! Ceiling was removed revealing the height of the old Hotel lobby and some walls have been opened up/removed.
Small stage built and the space is going to be fantastic for live music.
David's art studio is next door and he lives in the building.
He doesn't have a hard opening date and has kept quite since he doesn't have a landline yet and the remodel/move is going slow.

DaveKCMO may be glad to know that while the street is technically east of I-35, the neighbors definitively refer to it as "West Side."

The side walk is larger than 18th Street and I think live music will still occur on First Fridays and maybe even more often.
Very excited about the new YJ's.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anonkcmo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:50 pm DaveKCMO may be glad to know that while the street is technically east of I-35, the neighbors definitively refer to it as "West Side."
Ambivalent, at best.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Just for the record, the 'Westside' is quite adamant that Broadway to I-35 is part of the Westside.
It's a multi-generational point of contention and frankly a point of honor.
I would not even hint at a dispute, as the resulting acrimony would be ponderous.

The Westside had near zero political power until the 1970's and were for many decades marginalized and institutionally abused.
When the highway system was installed, it slashed through the poorest communities and on the Westside, I-35 was laid atop Pennsylvania Street and isolated these blocks on the west side of Broadway from the area west of I-35, with family members, neighbors and businesses separated.

The old people of the Westside still sing loudly the songs of their broken streets and the young people are actively practicing those tunes.

There are multiple neighborhoods that have fluid boundaries and instances where geographic areas are 'shared' by adjoining communities, both perceptually and as political subdivisions.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

^ Thanks for the redundancy but that wasn't a part of the discussion in the thread RE: YJ's.

A million Kansas Citians including every single news "reporter" stupidly refer to anything east of Troost as the "East Side."
Old School KC's know that the "East Side" was always Truman Rd to 31st St and Jackson Ave east to I-435.
Times always change. I would like to see some of the original names come back.
"River Market" was the safe, generic name the city and Copaken came up with to replace the mob-soaked association of the "River Quay."

And the same association that made them change "The North End" or "Little Italy" with the generic, boring "Columbus Park."
I would love to see those names restored.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

anonkcmo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:03 am ^ Thanks for the redundancy but that wasn't a part of the discussion in the thread RE: YJ's.

A million Kansas Citians including every single news "reporter" stupidly refer to anything east of Troost as the "East Side."
Old School KC's know that the "East Side" was always Truman Rd to 31st St and Jackson Ave east to I-435.
Times always change. I would like to see some of the original names come back.
"River Market" was the safe, generic name the city and Copaken came up with to replace the mob-soaked association of the "River Quay."

And the same association that made them change "The North End" or "Little Italy" with the generic, boring "Columbus Park."
I would love to see those names restored.
Way off topic, but... People already think we are in Kansas, do you really want to hear out-of-towners say the sentence: "Oh, I really enjoyed the the River kway in Kansas?" I like the term, but probably 50% of people would mispronounce it.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

fortunately "river quay" is changing....been a tough one to spell and pronounce and just was probably poorly selected.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am fortunately "river quay" is changing....been a tough one to spell and pronounce and just was probably poorly selected.
Any movement on Delaware landing?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am fortunately "river quay" is changing....been a tough one to spell and pronounce and just was probably poorly selected.
plenty of movement OnDelaware, the new brand going forward....dining On, exploring On, etc...Delaware Landing was too long, dated too. Hired the pros....two more restaurants to open this month, now working boutiques, the trolley and new designs
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm
plenty of movement OnDelaware, the new brand going forward....dining On, exploring On, etc...Delaware Landing was too long, dated too. Hired the pros....two more restaurants to open this month, now working boutiques, the trolley and new designs
Specifically the Delaware row houses.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Ah, the townhomes/rowhouses/brownstones. Delayed this summer a bit. Still plan to have designs done, bidding this Fall but macro plans also interfering so have to work thru that as well. Lots of demand it seems.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ToDactivist wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:59 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Ah, the townhomes/rowhouses/brownstones. Delayed this summer a bit. Still plan to have designs done, bidding this Fall but macro plans also interfering so have to work thru that as well. Lots of demand it seems.
Thanks for the update. Been leering at the renderings for awhile.

Sorry for the sidebar on this thread.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

...and what's now the Crossroads was once considered "Midtown".
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 pm ...and what's now the Crossroads was once considered "Midtown".
Also commonly was referenced as "Crosstown".....
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 pm ...and what's now the Crossroads was once considered "Midtown".
Still looking forward to the freeway. So hard to get around this city! :lol:
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Or, as I knew it the first time I passed through it decades ago, at night: "that creepy area south of downtown with all the abandoned buildings". How things change.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am
Or, as I knew it the first time I passed through it decades ago, at night: "that creepy area south of downtown with all the abandoned buildings". How things change.
Or in real estate developer parlance: "Opportunity." :lol: