Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by snigglefritz »

grovester wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm I've been wanting to visit, but have held off for fear of what you describe.

It was written up in a LOT of media.

As for the cocktail price, I don't mind paying that for a one off quality cocktail in the Swordfish Tom/Manifesto league.

Don't know if these apply, but the list did look tasty.
They don't really. They're just "Christmas-themed" versions of normal drinks. Or $14 for a 4 oz. glass of spiked eggnog.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 pm Has anyone been to the pop-up Christmas bar above Rockhill Grill? A co-worker begged me to check it out with her yesterday, so we showed up ten minutes after it opened (4pm) and there were already around 20 people in line - people who didn't make it in before the space reached capacity. At 5:00 the line was even longer and when I drove by again around 6:30 the line was even longer.

Good for them to have that kind of business on a Tuesday afternoon, but the crowd (not surprisingly) was young and hipster.

Thankfully we ended up at Brewery Emperial and Casual Animal where $12-$15 goes to more than a single drink.

I went there a few weeks back. Similar experience.

A friend went to the Made in KC space on the plaza last weekend. She said she got a $15 craft holiday cocktail. Turns out its just Louisburg Cider with whiskey.

People are really cashing in on this whole "craft" branding stuff. I don't see any of it lasting much longer...its one thing to actually get an amazing drink and pay $10-15 for it, but thats not what most of these places are really selling. There is no "craft" component, its just branding.

The Pitch had a good article (for once) about this faux craft KC trend and how its being totally co-opted as a cash grab.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I saw a drink menu for the Rockhill pop up- the drinks looked pretty legit. They're still $14/$15 - but at least they were more than cider + whiskey.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know what I'm bringing to Christmas!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

snigglefritz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm
grovester wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm I've been wanting to visit, but have held off for fear of what you describe.

It was written up in a LOT of media.

As for the cocktail price, I don't mind paying that for a one off quality cocktail in the Swordfish Tom/Manifesto league.

Don't know if these apply, but the list did look tasty.
They don't really. They're just "Christmas-themed" versions of normal drinks. Or $14 for a 4 oz. glass of spiked eggnog.
The do, really, with half of the drink menu designed by Ryan Maybee/Manifesto and the other half is what is available to the national pop-up rollout.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I have to say, I was disappointed when I heard it was going to be held at the Rockhill.

That place is just off-putting. Like a little bit of the plaza in the crossroads.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

grovester wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm I have to say, I was disappointed when I heard it was going to be held at the Rockhill.

That place is just off-putting. Like a little bit of the plaza in the crossroads.
I hadn't really thought of why it feels wrong before, but you exactly nail the problem with the Rockhill
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

It's been quite some time, but I really liked the second floor space of The Rockhill. Reminded me a bit of the Pendergast Room above The Majestic - but bigger. Lots of nice leather furniture and a nice bar. I don't care much for the downstairs.

I've heard there a bunch of TVs up there now - I'm not sure that's always been the case. The friends I talked to that went to the popup went during the Thurs night Chiefs game. They said there was no line.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

The Crossroads has had a "little bit of the Plaza" for years...more like "a lot of the Plaza."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like rockhille ...shrug.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i've been once or twice for lunch and thought it was pretty solid. i don't get the "plaza" hate for the crossroads, since that kind of vibe has been part of the neighborhood for a long time (and is trending even moreso).
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 pm The friends I talked to that went to the popup went during the Thurs night Chiefs game. They said there was no line.
I hear they are going to start serving craft cocktails at Arrowhead.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

taxi wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:45 pm
WSPanic wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 pm The friends I talked to that went to the popup went during the Thurs night Chiefs game. They said there was no line.
I hear they are going to start serving craft cocktails at Arrowhead.
SoCo and Mountain Dew would pass as a craft cocktail at Arrowhead.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I blame all of these $15 fake craft cocktails on the Bar Rescue TV show. Anything served from a bottle that doesn't have dead bugs in it is considered a craft cocktail in Kansas City now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Miracle pop-up stuff is happening at several bars nationwide. I suspect its provided by a distributor or national brand and allows each bar to customize. We went once. It was neat, but I don't need to drink inside a box of christmas ornaments more than once a year.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

This is just proving how much City Market is missing the boat by not having a Christkindlmarkt on December weekend evenings. Serve Christmas-themed cocktails in the shelter with garage doors. Do a Christmas light show on the Steamboat Museum building. They'd make a killing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great idea
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 pm This is just proving how much City Market is missing the boat by not having a Christkindlmarkt on December weekend evenings. Serve Christmas-themed cocktails in the shelter with garage doors. Do a Christmas light show on the Steamboat Museum building. They'd make a killing.
They have been doing this in downtown Milwaukee and all over the suburbs on select day. It looks like its been a success. Does any place in KC even do a Christkindlmarket?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:04 pm They have been doing this in downtown Milwaukee and all over the suburbs on select day. It looks like its been a success. Does any place in KC even do a Christkindlmarket?
This is the only one I know of. Pretty homegrown, but seems to be popular. http://kcucc.org/kristkindl-markt/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm surprised that Kansas City doesn't have some kind of Christkindlmarket, since German is the largest percentage ancestral group among residents (around 23 percent). The next largest group is Irish at 13 percent, then English at 10 percent.

https://statisticalatlas.com/metro-area ... y/Ancestry