Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

Specifically, I think it's Christ Community Church, which currently uses a smaller storefront next to the old Sundry space on Baltimore.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish these congregations would get together to share and maintain existing church buildings -- like Seventh Church of Christ Scientist on the Plaza, so those buildings can maintained and not sold to developers for office towers. Surely they can time their services where three or four congregations can share a building designed for such purposes instead of storefront churches.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:45 pm I wish these congregations would get together to share and maintain existing church buildings -- like Seventh Church of Christ Scientist on the Plaza, so those buildings can maintained and not sold to developers for office towers. Surely they can time their services where three or four congregations can share a building designed for such purposes instead of storefront churches.
It doesn’t bother me too much. Every building that they use pushes more demand for similar buildings. I am curious about OfficePort, if they are folding or looking to move to a larger space. It looks like on their website they had a lot of offices open for rent, so likely the former. Glad the space won’t sit empty. I’d guess the other office rental spaces hurt them.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Regarding Ruins, I always thought it was pretty gross that you used the same glass the entire time but were invited to rinse it on the glass rinser...which in most establishments is for a clean glass to be rinsed prior to filling with beer, but at Ruins was for rinsing already used glasses. Thus, every patron's mouth germs were on there. Disgusting.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

forgot about that, that's disgusting. the self-pour shops i've been to in other cities encouraged the use of fresh glasses for each pour.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well now I'm disgusted...but then couple trips there I never washed my glass out between beers
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'm a germaphobe and that never occurred to me. Now I feel sick. I guess I subconsciously assumed the high ABV of the beer styles I prefer would take care of that sort of cross-contamination.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

scooterj wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 pm I'm a germaphobe and that never occurred to me. Now I feel sick. I guess I subconsciously assumed the high ABV of the beer styles I prefer would take care of that sort of cross-contamination.
[-X
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

May I submit also that not only are all the rims of the glasses touching the same plate rinser, but also whatever is inside the glass be it beer, spittle, piss, etc. is also being rinsed down over the same plate. All day long and into the night.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Trying to eat here.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

scooterj wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 pm I'm a germaphobe and that never occurred to me. Now I feel sick. I guess I subconsciously assumed the high ABV of the beer styles I prefer would take care of that sort of cross-contamination.
Not unless you like beer that's stronger than liquor. Even 10% alcohol might as well be water, as far at the antibacterial properties go.
bryan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bryan »

Rochester Brewing and Roasting was approved for their liquor license and is currently building out their space at 2129 Washington St.I work close by and we've been told their build out will be quick. An early 2019 opening is likely.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

smh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm May I submit also that not only are all the rims of the glasses touching the same plate rinser, but also whatever is inside the glass be it beer, spittle, piss, etc. is also being rinsed down over the same plate. All day long and into the night.
Somebody ought to alert the new owners.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 pm
smh wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm May I submit also that not only are all the rims of the glasses touching the same plate rinser, but also whatever is inside the glass be it beer, spittle, piss, etc. is also being rinsed down over the same plate. All day long and into the night.
Somebody ought to alert the new owners.
Haven't I done enough?! :lol:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:17 am Ron Rico closes Dec. 15: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... close.html
I hope they open somewhere else, i loved the Mofongo
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Has anyone been to the pop-up Christmas bar above Rockhill Grill? A co-worker begged me to check it out with her yesterday, so we showed up ten minutes after it opened (4pm) and there were already around 20 people in line - people who didn't make it in before the space reached capacity. At 5:00 the line was even longer and when I drove by again around 6:30 the line was even longer.

Good for them to have that kind of business on a Tuesday afternoon, but the crowd (not surprisingly) was young and hipster.

Thankfully we ended up at Brewery Emperial and Casual Animal where $12-$15 goes to more than a single drink.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tried to go last night around 6...stood there for a bit and bailed....seems like you have to dedicate like an hour to just getting in
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

kcjak wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:29 pm Has anyone been to the pop-up Christmas bar above Rockhill Grill? A co-worker begged me to check it out with her yesterday, so we showed up ten minutes after it opened (4pm) and there were already around 20 people in line - people who didn't make it in before the space reached capacity. At 5:00 the line was even longer and when I drove by again around 6:30 the line was even longer.

Good for them to have that kind of business on a Tuesday afternoon, but the crowd (not surprisingly) was young and hipster.

Thankfully we ended up at Brewery Emperial and Casual Animal where $12-$15 goes to more than a single drink.

I went a couple weeks ago and I honestly kind of hated it. The door guy indiscriminately let people in and out in uneven numbers, told people to wait in the restaurant even though the line was clearly the only thing he was focused on, if there was "room for one more" he would skip parties of two in line, ask them to split up, or find one person further back to go in. This isn't Vegas, its the top floor of Rockhill Grill with Christmas stuff hung up everywhere. Hard pass on doing that again.
Last edited by snigglefritz on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I've been wanting to visit, but have held off for fear of what you describe.

It was written up in a LOT of media.

As for the cocktail price, I don't mind paying that for a one off quality cocktail in the Swordfish Tom/Manifesto league.

Don't know if these apply, but the list did look tasty.