Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:37 pm How is Blvd Tavern doing? I feel like that place has no buzz, same with the Health Food place right by it
Health Food place? I can only assume you mean Town Topic.

Or, if you're referring to Cafe Gratitude - they seem to have a pretty dedicated following. Even though it wasn't for me.

I haven't been in Blvd Tavern for a while, but I do like that space quite a bit. I heard their Wings were really good, but I wasn't all that impressed. Have only tried a few other dishes, but nothing ever really grabbed me. I should give it another shot.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

wahoowa wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:11 pm lol i know your reddit username now. but agreed. self-serve gimmick was fun for a minute, but no substance behind the gimmick. there are an awful lot of places within a five minute walk that i would rather be, so never ended up there, even if it was "fine."
I disagree - it's great to try a dozen beers without having to keep asking a server for tasters. And to be able to have six half-glasses instead of three full glasses. Food and service consistently sucked and the atmosphere was too sterile to be comfortable. That said, we went several times when it first opened and it seemed they kept raising the prices to the point where it wasn't worth going back.

Also, a ruins pub can't/shouldn't be emulated unless it's in the proper setting - and the former Bulldog building is anything but that.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:47 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:37 pm How is Blvd Tavern doing? I feel like that place has no buzz, same with the Health Food place right by it
The health food place is called Evolve, i think its Paleo or something
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 pm
wahoowa wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:11 pm
Also, a ruins pub can't/shouldn't be emulated unless it's in the proper setting - and the former Bulldog building is anything but that.
I agree, the spot wear swordfish tom's is located feels like its more ruins pub vibe than Ruin's Pub itself
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

kcjak wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 pmI disagree - it's great to try a dozen beers without having to keep asking a server for tasters. And to be able to have six half-glasses instead of three full glasses. Food and service consistently sucked and the atmosphere was too sterile to be comfortable. That said, we went several times when it first opened and it seemed they kept raising the prices to the point where it wasn't worth going back.
i don't think we disagree. the gimmick could work if incorporated successfully with other design choices. but as executed, i don't want to sample a couple oz of a dozen beers for fairly high prices when i'm not getting good food out of it and dj alexa in the corner is blasting despacito at unreasonably loud levels.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:59 pm
WSPanic wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:47 pm
The health food place is called Evolve, i think its Paleo or something
Yes Evolve is paleo/keto it’s not a restaurant but you preorder food for the week and eat at home/work. It’s pretty good if your into that sort of thing - better than eat fit go
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i actually liked that place. My wife. friends and i always ended up there on first fridays. I only had food there once and i don't remember if I liked it or not (maybe due to the beer) but i feel like i would remember it if it was terrible. Sad day.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

They have a dedicated following.

I'm surprised Ruins lasted as long as it did.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like Ruins will be opening with same concept and new menu but the name will change to "Taps on Main". Why do they have to do the generic name. I refuse to go now because of this name.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It’s my understanding that the restaurant is owned by Bazookas. I guess it takes a little more skill and creativity to build a successful restaurant concept than strip club.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like Blvd tavern quite a bit and they are always busy.

Glad ruins is changing concepts
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 pm Looks like Ruins will be opening with same concept and new menu but the name will change to "Taps on Main". Why do they have to do the generic name. I refuse to go now because of this name.
How about Streetcar Taps? KC Taps?

Or, Kansas City Streetcar Beer Hall Cafe, Taverne and Occasional Stripper?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like Ron Rico is closing, some kind of disagreement with the landlord. I really loved Ron Rico, i hope they reopen somewhere else.
Thank you so much to all of our loyal customers! The support you have shown has been nothing short of tremendous. Our sales have been above and beyond anything we could imagine. Unfortunately, sometimes, as a small business, there are things outside of your control. With business going so well it is even more difficult to post this. Due to an ongoing disagreement with our landlord about our operations, our last day in business will be Saturday, December 15th. Please come see us one last time. We will miss you all, but we’re sure you will hear from us very soon! Gracia!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:59 am I really loved Ron Rico, i hope they reopen somewhere else.
Really? The place looks completely slap dash. Never been in because I'm not a big rum drinker. Was the food that good?

Not surprising they've had landlord issues. The Surface family owns that stretch and is pretty dysfunctional when it comes to tenant relations. Note the vacant lot across from Grinders that's been roped off for months because they are also in a dispute.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The food was great. Really loved the mofongo, it's a total comfort food
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wanted it to be good....it was a half baked situation....and 87% sure my credit card got skimmed there.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Hearing that OfficePort is selling to a church.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

ChurchPort
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 pm Hearing that OfficePort is selling to a church.
Confirmed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:57 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 pm Hearing that OfficePort is selling to a church.
Confirmed.
You didn’t trust me. ;(