Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat »

Driven a couple times since this happened and made a point to drive through this. Zero traffic....wish could have been on display from Truman to 20th for better data.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm I mean is a two block backup at rush hour really a mess? Cars not yielding to peds at a 4 way stop is just a mess that happens everywhere in this city because dick drivers.

The car traffic, no. It's more the pedestrian issue. There were more pedestrians out than I normally see through there when there isn't a show (maybe a combination of nice weather and trivia at iTap?), and several times they were hesitant to cross because they couldn't tell if it was their turn, safe, or that they would be seen by drivers that were focusing on figuring out when it was their turn to go..

In general, I hate 4-way stops in locations that have both high vehicle and pedestrian traffic. It makes it more confusing and more dangerous than having controlled regular intervals where everyone knows when and where pedestrians can cross safely.

I do think what they have done here would work in a more permanent setting if they leave the traffic lights on.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It is a wide stretch for a four way stop... I think if it was reduced on the other side too, it may be doable.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:28 am It is a wide stretch for a four way stop... I think if it was reduced on the other side too, it may be doable.
Yeah, that could work.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

drumatix wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 am "I don't think Peggy's retaining her lease. There's a rumor that Birdies will also relocate.

In the article, the developers claim to be getting 'hate mail' but don't elaborate. Actual reporting would enlighten this- and perhaps Sight Commercial Realty could be more transparent about their vision/plans and ease people's fears."

Apparently none of the tenants will remain in that building. The developer told the tenants that "nothing would change for at least a year" before the purchase but has since given everyone until sometime in December to vacate.
White Neighborhood Table has opened in the former YJ's space.

https://cityscenekc.com/wheat-neighborh ... rossroads/
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

LOL... White Neighborhood....
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Thought that was seriously the name for a second,
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

A building at the NE corner of 18th & Locust collapsed this morning. I think it’s the one on the corner that’s had the barricade around it, but I’m not sure.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/bu ... 8th-locust
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That’s it.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Had it been barricaded because it was being worked on or was it because it had already been deemed dangerous?

Edit: Is this the building that was hit by a car several months ago?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Should we move this to the Downtown Buildings with Activity thread? :lol:
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

"Edit: Is this the building that was hit by a car several months ago?"

That's the one. And it was hit by another car a few doors down to the East.

https://kmbz.radio.com/articles/news/ca ... s-district
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Star article about the collapse indicated that space was being renovated for a restaurant, which was news to me (the restaurant bit, not the renovation). It had been purchased by Matt Abbott about a year ago.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I wonder if we will get a new corner on that building or a whole new building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Had heard a rumor that kokothai wanted to sell....now there is a liquor license application for Pokesan at their address?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm Had heard a rumor that kokothai wanted to sell....now there is a liquor license application for Pokesan at their address?
That would be a shame if kokothai went away. Love that place.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

That would be disappointing. They have great food. Perhaps they'd just like to be in a less funky space? The HVAC in there seems to be all over the place.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am That would be disappointing. They have great food. Perhaps they'd just like to be in a less funky space? The HVAC in there seems to be all over the place.
I love the food too, but the service has been equal to the heating and cooling in dependability.
They have never seemed to figure out a system and it ends up looking like everyone's first day on the job.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 am
smh wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am That would be disappointing. They have great food. Perhaps they'd just like to be in a less funky space? The HVAC in there seems to be all over the place.
I love the food too, but the service has been equal to the heating and cooling in dependability.
They have never seemed to figure out a system and it ends up looking like everyone's first day on the job.
It occurs to me that I haven't eaten *in* the restaurant in more than a year. Always get it to go in an effort to avoid just what you describe.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC aims to 'dream big' with innovation district along 18th Street
When Pinsight Media CEO Kevin McGinnis left the Sprint Corp. subsidiary in March, he knew one thing – he wanted to serve the Kansas City community in a bigger way.

So he started having coffees and lunches to figure out his next move, and one of those meetings reconnected him to KC Rising, where in 2015 he had pitched building an innovation hub.

Now, he is dusting off the idea and spearheading an effort to build an innovation district inside Kansas City's 18th Street corridor that will bring density and scale to innovation and entrepreneurship. McGinnis isn't ready to disclose the precise location of the district but wants it initially to connect the Crossroads Arts District and the 18th & Vine Jazz District.

The innovation district won't solely offer office and coworking space.

"It's mixed-use for innovation," McGinnis said.

The district would be constructed in phases and would include mixed-income housing as well as amenities that could include a music club, coffee shop, restaurants and an event space, McGinnis said. There also will be an innovation space that can be used for a variety of purposes such as university research or prototyping.

https://tinyurl.com/yaao2lh7