Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by kboish »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:55 am
I see more and more runners on Main Street all the time. It’s great to see renewed activity in the city, but it’s kind of awkward when trying to walk with someone else on the sidewalk and a crew of joggers comes barreling towards you. Has anyone thought about turning the alley between Main and Baltimore into a jogging trail? Is it still used for truck deliveries? Would need more lighting and proper running surface but could be a nice addition to DT.
Seems like as good a time as any to bring up the real need for a major urban core recreational path. Whether this is an extension of the existing and much beloved Trolley Track Trail or something else entirely. There is a nice little piece along the riverfront and over through the West Bottoms, a solid stretch along Brush Creek east/west, and some great singletrack in the wooded hills of Cliff Drive and Rosedale Park, but no central, accessible off-street path through the heart of the city.
We have come surprisingly close to having some major trails connected out South over the past few years. Unfortunately, we still lack a clear connection between the Plaza and downtown. I think there may be some hope that Gillham is eventually connected, but its a travesty (and speaks volumes about priorities) that something doesn't exist yet.

You can now ride all the way from the Blue River Trail (at Minor Park south of Red Bridge Road) to the Indian Creek Trail which links into the Johnson County trail system. The Blue River Trail also now is within a stones throw of connecting to the Trolley trail. If you want, you can get there via street connections easily today.

(the sink hole section of the trail has been repaired)

The Brush Creek trail has been extended South so you can get all the way to Swope Park. There are some really cool sections on this. Ironically, there is just about no way to get through Swope Park to the south side where you would be able to meet up with the Indian Creek and Blue river Trail junction. Hopefully one day our LARGEST PARK can have a contiguous trail through it. Because once it connects those trails, there will be a really nice circuit out south of the plaza just waiting to get plugged into a downtown trail.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Guy Fieri is currently filming at Extra Virgin's patio this morning, apparently having a fake or before opening hours meal. There are extras "dining" there.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:57 am Guy Fieri is currently filming at Extra Virgin's patio this morning, apparently having a fake or before opening hours meal. There are extras "dining" there.
He was at Banksia yesterday doing the same.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think they are doing another episode of Diners Dives and Drive-ins or whatever it's called.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Guy Fieri in Kansas City on Wednesday for some bomb-dot-com tasty events

https://www.kmbc.com/article/win-dinner ... e/26965869
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Exciting times in Kansas City.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Mean Mule tasting room opens April 12: https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 3e829.html
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am I see more and more runners on Main Street all the time. It’s great to see renewed activity in the city, but it’s kind of awkward when trying to walk with someone else on the sidewalk and a crew of joggers comes barreling towards you. Has anyone thought about turning the alley between Main and Baltimore into a jogging trail? Is it still used for truck deliveries? Would need more lighting and proper running surface but could be a nice addition to DT.
For the kind of urban etiquette you're describing, us longtimers carry mace. At least, I carry.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The grinders parking lot has been emptied out with barriers blocking the entrances. Adjacent paved lot was also emptied today. Is something in works?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That grinders lot has been blocked off for months hasn't it? Or is this a new type of blocking?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 pm That grinders lot has been blocked off for months hasn't it? Or is this a new type of blocking?
It could have been. I haven’t walked over there in a while.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's in a trust controlled by a bank and the Surface brothers. They ran afoul with Stretch (who had it leased) and roped it off last year. They own most of that south side of the block (CBD, Border, Double Shift, etc.).

The Star owns the paved lot to the north of there. They recently renovated it and fenced it in.

Such a shame to have that much surface parking underutilized when there are dozens of small businesses nearby that could benefit from sharing it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is the point of renovating and fencing it in?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 pm What is the point of renovating and fencing it in?
I am disturbed by the vacancy rates at our parking lots.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:13 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 pm What is the point of renovating and fencing it in?
I'm disturbed that the streetcar has been running a few years and several surface lots directly along the line still don't have development plans. Though nearly all RM lots have something in the works.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:35 am
I'm disturbed that the streetcar has been running a few years and several surface lots directly along the line still don't have development plans. Though nearly all RM lots have something in the works.
All of the vacant lots along Main in the Crossroads have a plan, they just haven't been executed yet.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Apparently one of the spaces in the building on the NE corner of 18th & Wyandotte will become a "real street taco place like on the Boulevard or in KCK - not that Guy Fieri BS" and the hoped-for opening is in September.

(source: guy sitting next to me in a bar who had been working on the sprinkler system in the building)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:39 pm
earthling wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:35 am

All of the vacant lots along Main in the Crossroads have a plan, they just haven't been executed yet.
What's planned for either side of Anton's and Plexpod buildings? Would be good to see a list of dev plans along the line within a block or two.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thou Mayest wants to create coffee-style version of a restaurant group; moving to 519 E. 18th Street
Thou Mayest Coffee Roasters is continuing its evolution, evidenced by a recent acquisition and a new focus on crafting a coffee-style version of a restaurant group.
As part of its vision to create experiential retail, Thou Mayest is launching another concept, Thee Outpost, which will have multiple locations. The first spot opens in May at Kansas City's Collective Ex, a collaborative space featuring a variety of local artists and makers, such as Careful Hands Design, KC Print Garage and SewKC.

Thee Outpost will occupy a nearly 2,000-square-foot space at 519 E. 18th St. in the East Crossroads. It's about a block away from Thou Mayest's former flagship location, which has been taken over by Grinders owner Jeffrey "Stretch" Rumaner, who transformed the space into Chances Social.

Thee Outpost will feature the "best-of-the-best" of Thou Mayest's products, including coffee, tea and pastries. It also will feature a dedicated laboratory for testing new drinks and giving patrons a chance to sample them. It allows Thou Mayest to streamline research and beverage testing and build out the right processes.
https://tinyurl.com/y434h894

https://tinyurl.com/y4hmhbjn
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

OK. I always thought "Thou Mayest" as a name was inscrutable. Now, "Thee Outpost". Worse than inscrutable. Nonsensical, Those folks need an ad or PR company. I don't know who takes care of that sort of thing.