Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

Also, Ron Berg (previous owner of SoT and Berg Event Space) will relocate his photography studio to 17th & Holmes.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Have they announced the new tenant for the Michael Smith space yet?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's going to be private event space. I assume until the landlord gets a tenant.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Assurant lot at 20th & Grand is under contract. Expected to be mixed use, maybe 5-7 stories.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The whole block 7 stories? Wow.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

That would be phenomenal.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 am The Assurant lot at 20th & Grand is under contract. Expected to be mixed use, maybe 5-7 stories.
(Almost) Anything on this site is better than the current situation, however I would hope for something more dense than a 5-7 story project.
That would essentially be another City Club, Milhaus East Crossroads, Gallerie, 4400 Washington, Union at Berkely Riverfront, etc. type of project...a concrete parking & retail podium w/ wood frame construction on top. Pretty much the bottom-barrel of what a multi-family developer can build (finishes aside).
In contrast, REVERB has only about 50% less units (142) than City Club (293) which is on a site about 3 to 4 times larger.
You could fit 4 REVERBS or more on this entire block and the taller construction would force the construction-type to be steel or concrete...something built to last.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm (Almost) Anything on this site is better than the current situation, however I would hope for something more dense than a 5-7 story project.
That would essentially be another City Club, Milhaus East Crossroads, Gallerie, 4400 Washington, Union at Berkely Riverfront, etc. type of project...a concrete parking & retail podium w/ wood frame construction on top. Pretty much the bottom-barrel of what a multi-family developer can build (finishes aside).
In contrast, REVERB has only about 50% less units (142) than City Club (293) which is on a site about 3 to 4 times larger.
You could fit 4 REVERBS or more on this entire block and the taller construction would force the construction-type to be steel or concrete...something built to last.

I agree and would welcome something taller and more substantial,
But can we really expect mid to high rise density in only moderately growing KC while there are still dozens of empty blocks and 100+ surface parking lots left to develop? If this turns out to be 7 floors tall I'll be cheering, and would be completely satisfied with 4-5.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:09 am The Assurant lot at 20th & Grand is under contract. Expected to be mixed use, maybe 5-7 stories.
(Almost) Anything on this site is better than the current situation, however I would hope for something more dense than a 5-7 story project.
I generally agree with everything your saying. However, steel and concrete are incredibly CO2 intensive materials. We need to move away from the notion that wood can’t be built to last or built tall. Mass Timber (CLT) is lighter, cheaper, quicker to construct, more fire resistant, and just as strong as steel. Unlike steel and concrete, mass timber has a net negative carbon impact.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

7 floors is about the point when stick framing ends. Going higher makes it more likely they become luxury apartments.

With all the options for engineered and laminated wood like CLT already mentioned they can build some really ecologically friendly wooden structures using all the wood of a tree.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Re: maximum height of wood structures
https://tinyurl.com/jx7asah

Date:
September 30, 2016
Source:
University of British Columbia
Summary:
The mass wood structure and façade has been completed for UBC's Brock Commons student residence -- the world's tallest wood building at 18 storeys (53 metres, about 174 feet) -- four months ahead of schedule, showcasing the advantages of building with wood.

Local building codes come into play, of course.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

missingkc wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:47 pm Re: maximum height of wood structures
https://tinyurl.com/jx7asah

Date:
September 30, 2016
Source:
University of British Columbia
Summary:
The mass wood structure and façade has been completed for UBC's Brock Commons student residence -- the world's tallest wood building at 18 storeys (53 metres, about 174 feet) -- four months ahead of schedule, showcasing the advantages of building with wood.

Local building codes come into play, of course.
I wonder what KCMO building code say about Mass Timber/Cross Laminated Timber. I would assume it’s allowed here if it’s allowed in Nashville, Austin, and Milwaukee .
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The office proposal at 3rd & Grand is timber.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

There is a pretty big difference between one plus five stick constrution and mass timber. The first mass timber building in KC will likely be luxury, just because of the relative project risk and project costs, using new supply chains, etc.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Baramee Thai Bistro Brings Heat to Crossroads https://cityscenekc.com/baramee-thai-bi ... rossroads/
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:30 pm Baramee Thai Bistro Brings Heat to Crossroads https://cityscenekc.com/baramee-thai-bi ... rossroads/
Finally!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm very excited to try this place. I love good Thai food.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I've been to the Lee's Summit location several times. Foods ok, but I would rate their restaurant skills as amateurish. Kind of a mess, no attention to detail.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

This may be covered elsewhere, but the new (ish) Waldo Thai Place at 85th and Wornall (where Swagger used to be) is really, really good. The food is really flavorful and hella spicy - the thai fried chicken is amazing ("fried" is a bit misleading, it's brined for several days, slicked with a hot marinade and flash fried without breading so the skin crisps up).