Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:58 am
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 am I still desire a community space in the parking lot across from Bob Jones ...but not my direct neighborhood so I defer.
A park? Nah.
Not necessairly a block park but some green space would be a nice addition I think....tried to eat lunch outside in the crossroads one day and couldnt find any green space .
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:44 am Rumor awhile back that HyVee was interested in the property. They have one urban concept in Des Moines.
If they do something like the one in Des Moines I would be torn on it, the one in Des Moines focuses very heavily on prepped/hot foods and not really a whole ton of groceries, so I think lot of restaurants that depend on lunch rushes would be hit hard with an Urban Hyvee
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^About half of downtown Consentinos is essentially prepped foods.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

But it also is a full service grocery.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am ^About half of downtown Consentinos is essentially prepped foods.
The one in des Moines is essentially like a mall food court with a street taco/mexican station, sushi station, Chinese station, sandwich station, Italian station, tons of hot food by the pound, nice salad bar and an amazing dessert/bakery area. It probably hurts Consentinos but all lunch places could take a hit.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:08 pm
earthling wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:05 am ^About half of downtown Consentinos is essentially prepped foods.
The one in des Moines is essentially like a mall food court with a street taco/mexican station, sushi station, Chinese station, sandwich station, Italian station, tons of hot food by the pound, nice salad bar and an amazing dessert/bakery area. It probably hurts Consentinos but all lunch places could take a hit.
That's the basic setup of nearly all of their suburban stores. When HyVee came to Liberty there were four existing grocery stores and only one of them was left within a few years. Their current Liberty store is all about extras. They even have what amounts to a private event space inside the store.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:18 am None of the buildings are really very attractive in their current state. I think all the windows have been cinder blocked. I'd be fine with tearing them down as long as something went in it's place (besides a surface lot).
I wondered what these buildings might look like if they were taken back to their original appearance. I looked on the 1940s tax photo site, and none of them were remarkable. I would have no problem with them being demolished for a larger project that added housing or offices. I'm not big on demolishing functional buildings though for ecological reasons. I struggle with this though.

If they are retained, I'd like to see them taken back to the individual buildings, so several retail, or restaurant spaces, would be available to rent.

I'd prefer to see the retail building to the south of Bob Jones retained. It's an attractive retail building with nice decorative elements.

I would like the parking lots infilled, and if the Bob Jones' building is demolished, replaced by something similar to this density (not architectural style -- just massing).

Grand Boulevard is a major artery, and it should handle higher massing. It feels sort of anemic at points when driving through the Crossroads.

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

LEAVE ALL THE BUILDINGS AND GET RID OF THE PARKING LOTS!!! Jesus.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Oh my! Drilling at 19th and Grand!

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Is something known to be in the works on that block? How have I missed it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 am Is something known to be in the works on that block? How have I missed it?
Ownership changed earlier this year, but I've heard nothing either. That's why I was surprised to see this activity -- on a Saturday, no less!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I noticed that, too. Very curious.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if they are drilling to see how far down until they hit bedrock before planning a new building?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like something called Streetcar Grille & Tavern is going into the retail space of the Helzberg garage at 1524 Main St:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 65170.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm It looks like something called Streetcar Grille & Tavern is going into the retail space of the Helzberg garage at 1524 Main St:

Oh, the irony.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm It looks like something called Streetcar Grille & Tavern is going into the retail space of the Helzberg garage at 1524 Main St:

Not the Helzberg garage for Webster House. 1524 Main St is the garage retail space of the Courtyard/Residence Inn Marriott
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Why have such a stupid and lame name. It reminds of that one on 39th that was called Kansas Town
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:44 am

Why have such a stupid and lame name. It reminds of that one on 39th that was called Kansas Town
Only to be replaced by MO Brews.

I don't mind Streetcar as much as I do "Grille & Tavern". Never going to remember that - or the "e" on "Grille"
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It does sorta say "we don't know what we're doing".
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It does sorta say "we are void of creativity".