Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

Milhaus plans to keep Locust open. Yay!
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

KCDowntown wrote:The development tracker has the general development plan for the East Crossroads Milhaus development at 19th & Oak.

3 phases to the plan, which is still preliminary:
Phase 1:
70-unit, rectangular 4-5 story building facing 19th with street-level retail
78-unit, rectangular 5 story building facing Oak
90-unit, U-shaped 5 story building at the northwest corner of 20th & Locust
98-unit, L-shaped building on the east side of Locust
Mid-block restaurant on the west side of Loucst

Phase 2:
2-story commercial at the SE corner of Locust and 19th

Phase 3:
Eastern side of block from 19th/20th - Locust/Cherry reserved for future development

KCDowntown
When is construction expected to begin? It looks like this is progressing nicely.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCDowntown wrote:The development tracker has the general development plan for the East Crossroads Milhaus development at 19th & Oak.

3 phases to the plan, which is still preliminary:
Phase 1:
70-unit, rectangular 4-5 story building facing 19th with street-level retail
78-unit, rectangular 5 story building facing Oak
90-unit, U-shaped 5 story building at the northwest corner of 20th & Locust
98-unit, L-shaped building on the east side of Locust
Mid-block restaurant on the west side of Loucst

Phase 2:
2-story commercial at the SE corner of Locust and 19th

Phase 3:
Eastern side of block from 19th/20th - Locust/Cherry reserved for future development

KCDowntown
Putting the garage next to the viaduct is smart.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

East Crossroads Apartment Plan Praised by Community Association
Construction of a planned East Crossroads project that would replace parking lots with four apartment buildings totaling 350 units could begin late this year and be completed by late 2020, according to the developer.

https://cityscenekc.com/east-crossroads ... sociation/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

So looks like Crossroads East says they want their parcel (NE quadrant) incorporated into this plan? Does that mean they plan on selling their parcel to Milhaus?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

alejandro46 wrote:So looks like Crossroads East says they want their parcel (NE quadrant) incorporated into this plan? Does that mean they plan on selling their parcel to Milhaus?
I got the impression that was what Milhaus wanted, or at least not to leave the Abbott parcel as a surface lot.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if that is why they left that one parcel, south of the Abbott lot, unbuilt in their plans? They are waiting to see if they can buy and absorb that parcel into their plan.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Broadway Deli Plans to Pile on the Pastrami in the Crossroads
In a match made in sandwich heaven, the soon-to-open Broadway Deli is bringing the piled-on-thick, genuine Chicago flavor of Manny’s, one of America’s great Jewish delicatessens, to the Crossroads Arts District.

The new deli, which plans to open in late April, is a collaborative venture between Bill Fromm, an entrepreneur who founded Barkley advertising and co-founded Service Management Group, KC Hopps and Manny’s Cafeteria & Delicatessen.
Fromm was sitting at a table in the new deli space at 2101 Broadway. The building at the foot of the Broadway viaduct was once occupied by Pezzettino Italian Deli & Market.

https://cityscenekc.com/broadway-deli-p ... rossroads/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this place. An owner that admits having no experience, flying in produce every day (????), and all the "we're so funny" crap.

It's just a hard place to get excited about
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Church of Scientology moving forward with renovations on historic building on Grand Boulevard

http://fox4kc.com/2018/03/27/church-of- ... rand-blvd/
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Con: such a nice building being put to use by a terrible organization.
Pro: assuming the move actually happens, I can't imagine that greeting the nice people offering personality tests on First Friday with a friendly "Hail Xenu!" will ever get old.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kobi Q, ‘Blade Runner Meets Asia’ in the Crossroads
Kobi Q, a new Korean street food place with added flavors from Vietnam and Thailand, is expected to open in the former Czar Bar space at 1531 Grand next month.

Hours still are being determined, but Kobi Q will likely open at 11 a.m. and close around 10 p.m., later on weekends.
https://cityscenekc.com/kobi-q-blade-ru ... rossroads/
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

Just saw this article that Pizzabella has closed: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 50804.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote:Kobi Q, ‘Blade Runner Meets Asia’ in the Crossroads
Kobi Q, a new Korean street food place with added flavors from Vietnam and Thailand, is expected to open in the former Czar Bar space at 1531 Grand next month.

Hours still are being determined, but Kobi Q will likely open at 11 a.m. and close around 10 p.m., later on weekends.
https://cityscenekc.com/kobi-q-blade-ru ... rossroads/
I'm thrilled about this.

Also, can we get a Laotian place in KC. I know there are Laotian chefs at Kokothai and that the food truck down on SW BLVD. is run by a Laotian chef. But neither of them do Laotian food.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, would like to try barbecued bee larvae, ant egg soup, goat blood salads, fried crickets, skewered frogs, sauteed silkworms, boiled blood cubes. :) Of course with a side of sticky rice.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

earthling wrote:Yeah, would like to try barbecued bee larvae, ant egg soup, goat blood salads, fried crickets, skewered frogs, sauteed silkworms, boiled blood cubes. :) Of course with a side of sticky rice.
Yep, bugs a blood, that's all they eat. Good job not perpetuating racial stereotypes. &
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

SE Asian is my favorite to cook and have heard of these, so literally curious. & noted but playing the stereotyping card is a bit of an overreaction. Some interesting actual Laotian eats... wouldn't mind trying some. Have tried ants/insects when in Central and S America, tasty if prepared or sauteed with something. BBQ bee larvae sounds interesting, and ant egg soup - it's no more bizarre to me than caviar or escargot. Is curious chicken eggs are not considered bizarre but insect eggs are? But nevertheless risky to put on American menus and was of course joking.

Also, the French influence on Loatian cooking gives some nice dynamics to SE Asian eats. I enjoy the challenge to balance SE Asian, so many layers of flavor can happen in one bite if balanced right. Lots of prep work but worth it.

But otherwise agree with you, would like to see more common Laotian eats hit KC. Grilled water buffalo sausages with a variety of dipping sauces would be nice.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

SimplyKC wrote:Just saw this article that Pizzabella has closed: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 50804.html
i thought that billboard was hilarious. also, i am in keno's a good amount, and it's doing okay, but not killing it. hard to believe the billboard is the causal mechanism (but even if it was, still, hilarious)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

earthling wrote:SE Asian is my favorite to cook and have heard of these, so literally curious. & noted but playing the stereotyping card is a bit of an overreaction. Some interesting actual Laotian eats... wouldn't mind trying some. Have tried ants/insects when in Central and S America, tasty if prepared or sauteed with something. BBQ bee larvae sounds interesting, and ant egg soup - it's no more bizarre to me than caviar or escargot. Is curious chicken eggs are not considered bizarre but insect eggs are? But nevertheless risky to put on American menus and was of course joking.

Also, the French influence on Loatian cooking gives some nice dynamics to SE Asian eats. I enjoy the challenge to balance SE Asian, so many layers of flavor can happen in one bite if balanced right. Lots of prep work but worth it.

But otherwise agree with you, would like to see more common Laotian eats hit KC. Grilled water buffalo sausages with a variety of dipping sauces would be nice.
I retract my snark. I thought you were being a putz. Apologies.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

SimplyKC wrote:Just saw this article that Pizzabella has closed: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 50804.html
Sad. I really liked that place!