Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

longviewmo wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Couple new liquor licenses

KobiQ in old czar bar space (pic posted somewhere else on here) and Ron Rico opening next to border brewery in east crossroads.

Can't find any real info on either of them.
Yeah, that's why I posted the pic of KobiQ... didn't seem to exist online anywhere, which is weird anymore.
here's their liquor license app: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001YeRuQyYN ... fnMq1LUg==
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

McQueeny-Lock Building to be renovated, and will house three companies.

New Crossroads Office Project to House Three Firms, Employ 150
Construction on the latest Crossroads Arts District office project is underway, an $8.5 million renovation of the former McQueeny-Lock building that will house three firms.

The project, called 520 Penn, will accommodate the headquarters of Centric Projects, Superior Bowen and Inspired Homes, for a total of about 150 employees.

https://cityscenekc.com/new-crossroads- ... mploy-150/

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Milhaus has two blocks in the East Crossroads under contract for multi-family, mixed use development. This appears to be part (or all) of the property put up recently that was owned by a Crown Center subsidiary.

https://cityscenekc.com/big-residential ... rossroads/
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I love all of the action the east crossroads is getting, I think adding mixed use with residents will really keep things rolling
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Be interesting to see if they seek any incentives since Foutch Bros. plan in the east crossroads was denied.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Those blocks are across 20th street north of the huge parking lot being vacated by Childrens' Mercy, right? Hopefully, it will be snatched up quickly. And with the development of these two blocks, the block-sized parking lot northeast of 20th and Grand will be in-the-middle-of-it instead of on-the-edge-of-it. That's the block that belongs to Assurant which until recently had operations in the shorter building north of the IBM/Mutual Benefit Life/Lathrop and Gage building. Assurant recently sold both the operations (to Sun Life) and the building (to Stanton Road Capital LLC). The change in ownership of the building doesn't show in the KC parcel viewer yet, so can't tell if the fact that the viewer still shows Assurant as the owner of the 20th and Grand lot means it wasn't part of the sale or not. If not, perhaps that lot will go into play. Someone on here probably knows more. Would sure be nice to see that lot transformed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Be nice if we could bring Oak and McGee down to grade until 20th but then that's a pretty steep climb to get over the RR tracks.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

KCPowercat wrote:Be nice if we could bring Oak and McGee down to grade until 20th but then that's a pretty steep climb to get over the RR tracks.
I'd rather they just make an easment for pedestrian circulation down to the lower grade at Oak & 20th. Could make for an intriguing urban condition like the high line or spanish steps, but on a super micro level.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

missingkc wrote:Those blocks are across 20th street north of the huge parking lot being vacated by Childrens' Mercy, right? Hopefully, it will be snatched up quickly. And with the development of these two blocks, the block-sized parking lot northeast of 20th and Grand will be in-the-middle-of-it instead of on-the-edge-of-it. That's the block that belongs to Assurant which until recently had operations in the shorter building north of the IBM/Mutual Benefit Life/Lathrop and Gage building. Assurant recently sold both the operations (to Sun Life) and the building (to Stanton Road Capital LLC). The change in ownership of the building doesn't show in the KC parcel viewer yet, so can't tell if the fact that the viewer still shows Assurant as the owner of the 20th and Grand lot means it wasn't part of the sale or not. If not, perhaps that lot will go into play. Someone on here probably knows more. Would sure be nice to see that lot transformed.
Per the KCBizjournal, Stanton Road did obtain that enormous surface lot.

The deal included partial ownership of a 1,300-space underground parking garage plus ownership of a 2.3-acre surface parking lot covering the entire block bounded by 19th Street, 20th Street, Grand Boulevard and McGee Street.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe this was already assumed but the 19th/Oak project will apparently be residential as that is apparently the only thing Milhaus develops. Will be interesting if they target mixed-use retail given the location is a bit isolated. Would hope they at least target retail spaces and use for community space or even storage until timing is right. Couldn't find any mid/hirise projects, might not be over 5-6 floors...

https://milhaus.com/portfolio/search/
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Milhaus' twitter handle is @ThinkMixedUse

I guess that could just be marketing, but its a positive sign.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

earthling wrote:Maybe this was already assumed but the 19th/Oak project will apparently be residential as that is apparently the only thing Milhaus develops. Will be interesting if they target mixed-use retail given the location is a bit isolated. Would hope they at least target retail spaces and use for community space or even storage until timing is right. Couldn't find any mid/hirise projects, might not be over 5-6 floors...

https://milhaus.com/portfolio/search/
The Cityscene article features a Milhaus rep saying the development will be in line with the mixed use, residential developments the company is known for.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Looks like they have a few 6-10 story buildings. Would be nice if they left a pad site for a highrise portion and/or partnered with another developer who would. Overall will be a great project.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Based on the downtown plan, it should be 10-12 stories max. I'd tend to agree in this instance. For at least the foreseable future that'd still be one of the tallest structures in the crossroads.

Though my money is still on it being only 5-6 stories tall. That's the sweet spot for code and construction costs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Since this is outside of the downtown rail zoning, they’ll have to meet parking minimums. :(
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 48984.html

^ The sad news about a guy getting killed in the NE crossroads led me to wondering, is there anyway to get rid of the remaining strip clubs? The district has rebounded so amazingly, but these places show no evidence of disappearing anytime soon.

I could care less about the morality of it, to me it's more of about signaling to outsiders that this is a real neighborhood where families live.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Families live near strip clubs in many large cities. I have no problem with the club remaining, and can see families also living nearby. It's not like the strippers are dancing in windows along Grand. A mature city can handle these things.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

WON’T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I don't think people give it much thought. As long as it is discreet people don't care. The church of the resurrection seems to wear it as a badge of pride that they are building a church near a strip club. As fang mentioned, other cities handle it just fine.

It probably does help the hotel market though. I know several people that go to breastraunts a lot when they travel for work, and probably strip clubs as well, although most won't admit that.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So a guy, with a history of getting stabbed, got in an argument with people not even in the same place as him, made a future appointment to fight more, and ended up getting shot?

I feel sad for the family and friends, but it's not like a young child got whacked by a stripper here. It sounds like he went to a strip club, started two fights, and then got shot. Something his father said in the article he seemed to have a habit of doing. :/