Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Do you consider row houses good or bad pedestrian experience....like the ones in quality hill...
Row houses are fine because the first floor is generally not living space and there are features of interest, like patios, plants, stairs, the front door. This is just a blank wall with glass that looks like it should be retail but isn't.
Good point...I think the first floor is living space on those but yeah they are more than just a blank wall at the sidewalk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Do you consider row houses good or bad pedestrian experience....like the ones in quality hill...
Row houses are fine because the first floor is generally not living space and there are features of interest, like patios, plants, stairs, the front door. This is just a blank wall with glass that looks like it should be retail but isn't.
You're specifically talking about walkups. Not all row homes are walkups. Like the row homes on Oak in the river market have living spaces at street level.
Because that's what I asked about.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

No that's a solid, logical point. You just don't need to be such a patronizing dick about it. Geez.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The inclusion of affordable rates has a political calculation as well. I would agree with Dave, if you want incentives, adding a fair minimum seems reasonable.

While I follow your logic of stair stepping up the real estate ladder, if there isn't the existing housing stock in an area it wouldn't work, at least not in a timely fashion.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

pash wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:No that's a solid, logical point. You just don't need to be such a patronizing dick about it. Geez.
I enjoy being a patronizing dick every now and then. You shouldn't let it get to you too much. :P

If I can be earnest for a moment—and, yes, again a bit of a dick—let me say this: it greatly annoys me when people advocate policies without bothering to inform themselves about their consequences. One of the great lessons of economics is that good intentions are insufficient for good outcomes (and often unnecessary as well); wishing and hoping are no substitute for looking and thinking.

My annoyance increases when the uninformed advocates of poor policies are in a position to influence others. Dave, you're moving up in the world. You are no longer an Internet loudmouth of no consequence like the rest of us. You are increasingly in a position to change the way this city works and to influence others who have even more power to do so. And you have a responsibility to inform yourself about the policies you advocate, and to shut up about things you haven't bothered to read well up on. Leave the ignorant windbagging to us hoi polloi.

Now, I don't mean to demean anyone's ability to research and reason. Nor do I mean to intimidate you—I am no expert on housing policy (that's not my kind of economics). But as someone with an interest in cities and a background in economics, I have the odd habit of reading what intelligent people who spend their lives studying these things have written. And I hope that if you are advocating policies that they reject that you have reasons that amount to more than a vague idea that you want to help poor people. Because that's not how you help poor people.
Spoken like someone with a graduate degree in economics.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

spoken by the ragger who voted yes for the chastain light rail plan.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wow, that delegitimizes his points about housing? If that's supposed to be an argument, I am embarrassed for you.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I actually also have a graduate degree in Economics. Please don't hold all of us in contempt now. :)
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

JBmidtown wrote:No that's a solid, logical point. You just don't need to be such a patronizing dick about it. Geez.
Some people can't help themselves. It's pretty much why we are where we are.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody have info on the building at 18th and McGee that has been totally gutted and is advertising design your own condos?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Anybody have info on the building at 18th and McGee that has been totally gutted and is advertising design your own condos?
all i know so far is that it's the same developer as corrigan, 2101 broadway, and the creamery building.
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

I catch the bus at 19th and Grand in the mornings. There's been a lot of activity in the 1834 Grand/Royal Squirrel location in the last few weeks.
Workers with hard hats and headlamps inside in the mornings. Looks to be mostly empty inside when I peeked inside the other day.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lifted spirits opened last night. vodka and gin, for now. their upcoming whiskey (late 2017) will be 100% wheat, which i guess isn't common.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

There a few 100% wheat whiskeys on the market from NC and OH (OYO is supposed to be good) - but I've never tried one.

One of the distinctions about Pappy Van Winkle is that it uses wheat - but that's only as a secondary grain. Corn is still the majority.

If Bobbyhawks is around, I'm sure he can provide a bit more detail/expertise.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We tried to stop by, but they were pretty hammered. Been previously, once before they opened (free samples!), and once during a soft opening. He's sharing some space with folks making agave as well.

All really good people!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:lifted spirits opened last night. vodka and gin, for now. their upcoming whiskey (late 2017) will be 100% wheat, which i guess isn't common.
There's a good reason why.
WSPanic wrote:One of the distinctions about Pappy Van Winkle is that it uses wheat - but that's only as a secondary grain. Corn is still the majority.
Corn has to be the majority grain (51%) in the mashbill to be called "bourbon". Quite a few whiskeys (Makers, I think everything that comes out of Buffalo Trace) use some wheat in the mashbill, what makes Pappy unique is the high percentage of wheat used. Bernheim uses majority wheat, and is thus labeled a "wheat whiskey".
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The guy on the website said that Bernheim wasn't a great comp as far as what they were trying to do. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. OYO out of Columbus, OH does a 100% wheat whiskey. Not sure if you can find it in KS/MO.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Aged for 10-12 months probably means they will be using smaller barrels that are more likely to impart a very oaky flavor. They claim to be trying to avoid the super oaky flavor, so I'm not sure if they will be adjusting through the time in the barrel or by using the barrel for something else first. If they use normal-sized barrels, the whiskey will taste very very young at just a year old and have little color.

I guess they will also house the newer brand of Wicket & Peg, which is a 100% corn recipe bourbon. It is only 80 proof yet costs $50, so they aren't going after hardcore whiskey fiends (at least mostly) but more for people looking to support something local or just getting into neat/rocks whiskey. Hopefully, you will be able to pull some exclusive bottles from the local distilleries where they try things at a higher proof, but it is nice there is a lot of variation going on in the local spirits scene.