Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:Just a random anecdote:

This past Friday night I went out for a solitary dinner at a Crossroads establishment.

Thought I was going to enjoy my own company for a change, but the owner came by to check in and ended up sitting down with me. We covered a broad range of topics, but one has been replaying ever since.

The owner shared an observation about a well known business, which is located exactly one block away. I was told that at least some of the employees of this business come in for lunch nearly every day. This has been part of the routine, for years. A couple months ago, one of the principals of the neighboring business returned to the restaurant immediately after leaving. They complained to the restaurant owner that someone had put a note on their car, asking them to not block a driveway. This customer was livid...saying 'I park there all the time and nobody ever said anything'.

The restaurant owner interrupted the customer and asked innocently, 'why is your car parked there anyway? You've got your secured parking lot a block away.' The customer said, 'Oh, I always drive here.......'.

The restaurant owner said that following this, they started talking to the employees of the business and watching them leave the restaurant. They all....ALL drive the one block and look for parking on the street, closer to the restaurant. And there is a consistent grumble as they come in, about how hard it was to find parking.

Further, upon discretely questioning this covey of non-ambulatorians, the restaurant owner has found that not one of the employees, or owners, lives any closer than ten miles of the business.

The restaurant owner said this scenario is upsetting them so much that they have started wearing prayer beads on their wrist, to find their mellow when these folks come in.

A Portlandia episode waiting to happen....
This is the most depressing thing I've read today.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

1. That is completely insane that they drive a block
2. The free plaza parking has screwed people here when it comes to parking at places like downtown, westport and the Crossroads.
3. People afraid of parking and not really trying or knowing what to do(Settling for a paid surface lot) has made this probably the easiest large city to find parking
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed May 14, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i hear people on a fairly regular basis complain about parking on the plaza.

let that one sink in.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

No different than people who bitch about having to park a block or two away in a downtown but think nothing of walking that far or more to get from their parking space to a store inside a mall.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KC0KEK wrote:No different than people who bitch about having to park a block or two away in a downtown but think nothing of walking that far or more to get from their parking space to a store inside a mall.
that might actually be a good model to work as a visual aid to distances around town.

Take a slice of a busy Walmart/Target or such and show how far away people park and walk.

Like the Boardwalk Walmart from the far side of the lot to the back side of the store is very close to the distance two blocks off the streetcar line or one block north to south.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KC0KEK wrote:No different than people who bitch about having to park a block or two away in a downtown but think nothing of walking that far or more to get from their parking space to a store inside a mall.
OMG, burn a calorie... you probably need to... I take a 2 mile downtown lunch walk when I can. Sheesh!
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

brewcrew1000 wrote:To bad KC Bier didn't set up shop in this area as well, we'd have our own little Pearl District, all we need now are lots more condos and apartments.
There aren't enough self-righteous, twee douchebags in a 4 state area to fill up a Pearl District in KC. Most of them already moved to Portland.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

geeman68 wrote:
OMG, burn a calorie... you probably need to... I take a 2 mile downtown lunch walk when I can. Sheesh!
I wouldn't be surprised if many of those who drive a block or complain about not having parking outside the font door also are ones who pay for a gym membership when they could burn just as many calories by using their car less.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KC0KEK wrote:
geeman68 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if many of those who drive a block or complain about not having parking outside the font door also are ones who pay for a gym membership when they could burn just as many calories by using their car less.
Or have obesity-related diseases.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

There's talk of a 'Westportlandia' series spoofing that area, but given the nature of the topic, anybody involved is too drunk to start it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KC0KEK wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if many of those who drive a block or complain about not having parking outside the font door also are ones who pay for a gym membership when they could burn just as many calories by using their car less.
While a hugely valid point, one can get value from a gym membership AND use a car less.

For many running in winter is not going to happen for any number of reasons. Having access to an indoor pool or track has value. (Thinking more a community center than gym)
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote:1. That is completely insane that they drive a block
2. The free plaza parking has screwed people here when it comes to parking at places like downtown, westport and the Crossroads.
3. People afraid of parking and not really trying or knowing what to do(Settling for a paid surface lot) has made this probably the easiest large city to find parking
come to think of it, i have never really thought about it, but it's highly unusual for an urban destination district of the scale and wealth of the plaza to have free parking.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

perhaps with streetcar extension to main there would be some interest in eliminating their 1/2-cent TDD (and then charging for on-street and structured parking).
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

come to think of it, i have never really thought about it, but it's highly unusual for an urban destination district of the scale and wealth of the plaza to have free parking.
You are very right, and it's similarly unusual in Westport, 39th St, the Westside, City Market, and most of the Crossroads. And even within the densest parts of the loop, free street parking begins in earnest at 6pm, and lasts all day Saturday and Sunday.

Compared to say StL :D , where it's challenging to find a non-metered spot anywhere that isn't within a park or strictly residential street, and that has metered parking until 7pm even through Saturday downtown, it's a damn wonder anyone in this city ever complains about parking or the lack thereof. Truly amazing.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I agree its odd, in the entire city of Milwaukee you needed to buy a yearly parking sticker to park on the street overnight. I think KC should start a pilot parking permit program in Union Hill, this area will be very dense and hard to park once all those new apartments are done, make the residents buy parking stickers if they want to park overnight or risk being ticketed.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

A commercial tenant finish permit came through today for 1706 Baltimore for a place called 'The Sundry Market.'

Looks like a kitchen / grocery store based on this incomplete website I found:

KCDowntown

Downtown Development Map
KCPowercat wrote:Saw that 1703 Baltimore had a for lease sign on it...seems this would be a great restaurant or bar property...
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0925,-9 ... 50Z-lQ!2e0
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:There's talk of a 'Westportlandia' series spoofing that area, but given the nature of the topic, anybody involved is too drunk to start it.
:D

I don't know if anyone else found this funny, but damn that got me rolling! I'm sure you're joking... but you could be completely serious too.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Its funny but it ain't a joke!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

interior demo in full swing at 1801 main (formerly mobilfone).
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

I believe a local bank's operations are going in the Mobilfone space? At least that is what I heard...hopefully they add some windows to that place.