Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCMax »

WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Loftguy, if you think Stretch is trying to kill a windmill, you are misinformed.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Henderson Engineers opening a new branch office in the Crossroads
Within the next two weeks, eight to 12 of Henderson's Lenexa-based employees will move to 5,800 square feet of space at a one-story building at 1619 Walnut Street, Rich Smith, president of Henderson Engineers, said in an interview.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Love it.
"If we're going to call Kansas City our corporate headquarters ... we need to have a presence downtown," Smith said.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

Eon Blue wrote:Love it.
"If we're going to call Kansas City our corporate headquarters ... we need to have a presence downtown," Smith said.
=D> =D> =D>
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This is why despise Black and Veatch, they started out in KCMO and never really looked back. All they have in KCMO is some little office on 85th and ward parkway. I don't even think they really sponsor any kind of cultural amenities like Science City, Museums or ball fields.
Volker Dad
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Volker Dad »

brewcrew1000 wrote:This is why despise Black and Veatch, they started out in KCMO and never really looked back. All they have in KCMO is some little office on 85th and ward parkway. I don't even think they really sponsor any kind of cultural amenities like Science City, Museums or ball fields.
And this is why I decided not to work there, or Burns and Mac...though the later seems to be more involved in the city than the former.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not sure how accurate but Simplyhired.com is showing B&M is growing jobs more than any other company in KC, more than Cerner and Sprint at the moment. B&M has an important impact to KC economy but would be nice to see them step up with being more involved with the city.

Job posts on simplyhired.com for KC
Burns & Mcdonnell 950
Cerner 535
Black & Veatch 523
Sprint 487

There are probably duplicate postings but the ratio still appears to be that B&M is growing jobs fastest in KC.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Volker Dad wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:This is why despise Black and Veatch, they started out in KCMO and never really looked back. All they have in KCMO is some little office on 85th and ward parkway. I don't even think they really sponsor any kind of cultural amenities like Science City, Museums or ball fields.
And this is why I decided not to work there, or Burns and Mac...though the later seems to be more involved in the city than the former.
I heard Black and Veatch is a horrible place to work for, people have told me that if you have seniority and been there for many years that the company will try to force you out and replace you with a lower paying/younger engineer/worker.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Volker Dad wrote:
BMcD was a big supporter of the e-tax when it came up for a vote a few years back.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Seeking approval for two encroachments resulting from the historic renovation of the 7-story Globe building at 1712 Main Street: outward door swings and the installation of a new Siamese Fire Department connection. Patricia R. Jensen of WGBMS&W, Brad Nicholson of 1712 Main Street, LLC, Brian Czerw of Stark Wilson Duncan Architects and John Williams presenting.
this was the home of retro inferno before they moved to truman and grand. has been vacant since.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Seeking approval for two encroachments resulting from the historic renovation of the 7-story Globe building at 1712 Main Street: outward door swings and the installation of a new Siamese Fire Department connection. Patricia R. Jensen of WGBMS&W, Brad Nicholson of 1712 Main Street, LLC, Brian Czerw of Stark Wilson Duncan Architects and John Williams presenting.
this was the home of retro inferno before they moved to truman and grand. has been vacant since.
Also the original home of el dorado architects and that ultrahip, eastern-european, soviet bloc era, poster gallery that they operated when they weren't pushing pencils.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Renovation of the Western Blue building (1808 Main)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 9434e2cd3a
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I am liking how there is a trend of blowing out blank brick walls to put in windows around downtown. that building was horrendous before.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kboish wrote:I am liking how there is a trend of blowing out blank brick walls to put in windows around downtown. that building was horrendous before.

I may have missed a thread somewhere, but wasn't that building taller before? Or is my mind just playing tricks on me with the building's facade being off?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yes, the northern third (where the main western blue entrance was) had two additional stories that were recently removed.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Looks like there did used to be a couple story structure to the north.

I didn't even notice it was gone in the pic.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Love the planters! I hope they put them back.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:I am liking how there is a trend of blowing out blank brick walls to put in windows around downtown. that building was horrendous before.
the other nice trend is removing back to the historic brick and ceilings and then not putting anything back in front.

the building I work in is like this. we have a lot of surface conduit as a result.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

It's quite possible that whenever the building was remodeled 30-40 years, that the windows were either filled in or covered up and they're just putting the windows back in.

There's are a lot of buildings around downtown and in the Xroads that had their windows covered following a redo in the 60's or 70's. The building on the northeast corner of 18th & McGee reclaimed their windows and the one on the west side of Oak between 18th and 19th did the same and added more.

The building that Midwest Musical is in at 19th & Locust used to have huge plate glass windows in it's life as an auto parts store. You can now see where they filled the space in later and added smaller windows, which were mostly all removed and bricked in. 19th & Oak had auto junkyards or auto related businesses on every corner at one time.

The former Circulation building owned by the Star on the corner of 17th & McGee used to have huge windows as well that were covered up in the 60's or 70's.