Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat »

Restaurant? Hope they use 100% bleach all over that place.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it got a serious clean-up before it was leased. they'd been working inside for awhile.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

any word on the new restaurant? is it jonathan justus's proposed PAC-area restaurant?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote:any word on the new restaurant? is it jonathan justus's proposed PAC-area restaurant?
no. i believe that is still going in the old dan meiners studio space on wyandotte.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

chrizow wrote:any word on the new restaurant? is it jonathan justus's proposed PAC-area restaurant?
I thought Justus was going into the old Mieners? space, though doesn't look like anythings been happening there since the announcement.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

The Daddy's space is to be a new concept.

Meat, meat and more choice meat. (maybe not so totally new?)

Walk in ageing locker to display hanging meat.

Smoked meat. Grilled meat. Fried meat. Roasted meat.

This is second hand, but reliable. Just haven't run into the first hand yet.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Whoa... salumeria? Charcuterie? Could we possibly be so lucky?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote:The Daddy's space is to be a new concept.

Meat, meat and more choice meat. (maybe not so totally new?)

Walk in ageing locker to display hanging meat.

Smoked meat. Grilled meat. Fried meat. Roasted meat.

This is second hand, but reliable. Just haven't run into the first hand yet.
i heard the same. it's being launched by a name familiar to the neighborhood.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

the anticipation is delightful.

you had me at meat
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote:Whoa... salumeria? Charcuterie? Could we possibly be so lucky?
that would rule. is this going to be a bar/restaurant concept or a deli/butcher shop (or both)? sounds great. i hope it has something to do with howard hanna and his amazing roasted whole pig he does on occasion - it is the best thing ever. his house cured mortadella at the rieger is awesome too.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it appears that an xroads outpost for jonathan justus is no closer to happening. from the pitch:

"On a completely different note: Fat City asked Justus for an update on the plans — announced earlier this year — to turn the old Universal Studios Exchange Building at 1700 Wyandotte into a dining venue called Universal: A Modern American Brasserie.

""The plans are stalled right now," Justus says. "We have not been able to interest investors in the concept, although I still believe there's a good chance it can happen. I think it's a really great idea with a lot of potential.""
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

I wonder if investors are leary of JJ or that there are too many restaurants downtown. According to yahoo listing, there are over 150 in a one mile radius. That's quite a few for a downtown population under 20K. They do well for lunch given the workforce is about 100K but weekday evenings is getting stretched as more restaurants are added.

Downtown KC
http://local.yahoo.com/results?p=restau ... 26zoom%3D5

Interesting that KC has about the same amount as downtown STL, though both have some missing places. Change 'Distance' to 1 mile...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

xorg wrote:I wonder if investors are leary of JJ or that there are too many restaurants downtown. According to yahoo listing, there are over 150 in a one mile radius. That's quite a few for a downtown population under 20K. They do well for lunch given the workforce is about 100K but weekday evenings is getting stretched as more restaurants are added.

Downtown KC

Interesting that KC has about the same amount as downtown STL, though both have some missing places. Change 'Distance' to 1 mile...
a) That listing is trash.
b) How many are lunch only?
c) We don't have nearly enough downtown....using residential population isn't an accurate measure of a downtown area. Even though downtown kc has more residents than many midwestern downtowns.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I have been to this place in Portland, i so hope it's something like
http://www.laurelhurstmarket.com/
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

KCPowercat wrote:
xorg wrote:I wonder if investors are leary of JJ or that there are too many restaurants downtown. According to yahoo listing, there are over 150 in a one mile radius. That's quite a few for a downtown population under 20K. They do well for lunch given the workforce is about 100K but weekday evenings is getting stretched as more restaurants are added.

Downtown KC

c) We don't have nearly enough downtown....using residential population isn't an accurate measure of a downtown area. Even though downtown kc has more residents than many midwestern downtowns.
By how are you deciding that we don't have nearly enough?

I would love that JJ concept to open up, but I also know that I can go into a lot of these restaurants downtown in November and not see a soul. In general, it appears that Kansas City's downtown restaurants live on lunch and summer weekends.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

coreyo wrote:I would love that JJ concept to open up, but I also know that I can go into a lot of these restaurants downtown in November and not see a soul. In general, it appears that Kansas City's downtown restaurants live on lunch and summer weekends.
If he can get people to drive to Smithville to eat his food, I don't think keeping a downtown restaurant busy would be a problem.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCLofts wrote:
coreyo wrote:I would love that JJ concept to open up, but I also know that I can go into a lot of these restaurants downtown in November and not see a soul. In general, it appears that Kansas City's downtown restaurants live on lunch and summer weekends.
If he can get people to drive to Smithville to eat his food, I don't think keeping a downtown restaurant busy would be a problem.
Fer real. Justus, directly across from the PAC seems to present a fierce opportunity.

The details of risk/reward, per chance?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

coreyo wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:

Downtown KC

By how are you deciding that we don't have nearly enough?

I would love that JJ concept to open up, but I also know that I can go into a lot of these restaurants downtown in November and not see a soul. In general, it appears that Kansas City's downtown restaurants live on lunch and summer weekends.
You can go to restaurants in any neighborhood in November and see the same thing.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Pretty sure Justus has no lease in Smithville, the location across from the pac will change his business plan. Oh yeah, and banks suck these days.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/12/31 ... -feel.html
•Jesse’s Tavern & Restaurant, 2853 Southwest Blvd., is scheduled to reopen under new ownership and a new name by early next week. The Matchbox Bar & Grill will offer calamari, burgers, tenderloins, and blue-plate specials.