First Friday

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: First Friday

Post by shinatoo »

Long wrote: Is it just me, or does the scene at the Dolphin gallery completely blow? 

At the other galleries we went to, people seemed to be there to actually look at the work.  People would stop and look at painting, photographs, etc., study them, discuss them with their friends.  At the Dolphin we felt like cattle-- there was just a line of people moving through at a steady pace around the perimeter, not really stopping to actually look at anything, and a group of people standing in the middle of the space talking.  Lots of leather coats and black dresses.  We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Friday was the first time the wife and I have been, I would say that I was amazed at how out of place I felt. The crowd seamed very pretentious. Not near as earthy as I would have suspected. I guess I should leave my preconceptions at home, but it was definitely not my crowd.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

shinatoo wrote: Friday was the first time the wife and I have been, I would say that I was amazed at how out of place I felt. The crowd seamed very pretentious. Not near as earthy as I would have suspected. I guess I should leave my preconceptions at home, but it was definitely not my crowd.
This was my first time too, and as other suggested, I noticed that the closer I got to 20th & Baltimore, the more trendy/snooty the crowd was and the more cattle-like the procession was.  Back around 18th & Wyandotte it was much more relaxed and down to earth.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^Pretty much expected given that the monthly event is now mainstream.  The galleries know it.  If you call snooty people anyone with money, you wouldn't have anyone to buy all that art if they were not present.  It's necessary.  It's why it succeeds.

East Crossroads tends to have the vibe you may be looking for.  But the purpose of the event is to showcase art for purchase, not for freeloader crowds to stand and model.  Xroads has several smaller events that tend to attract those like-minded with the artists.  First Fridays is intentionally for the masses.

Want something earthier, check out Reggaefest.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

For me, money and snooty are not equal. Anyone can dressup one night out of the month will very little money. It was more attitude and comments that I overheard.

But I shouldn't judge people from 15sec of contact.

BTW we were centered around the Twenty 20 club because we ate at City Tavern and didn't get out until 8:30, so we didn't make it very far.
w00lyb00ger
Pad site
Pad site

Post by w00lyb00ger »

What exactly is First Friday?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

w00lyb00ger wrote: What exactly is First Friday?
http://www.crossroadscommunityassociation.org/faq.asp
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

w00lyb00ger wrote: What exactly is First Friday?
The first half of this thread.  About 60 galleries in Crossroads district.  Gallery crawl the first friday of each month, even in winter.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthr ... =mega+loft
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

shinatoo wrote: Friday was the first time the wife and I have been, I would say that I was amazed at how out of place I felt. The crowd seamed very pretentious. Not near as earthy as I would have suspected. I guess I should leave my preconceptions at home, but it was definitely not my crowd.
Yeah, the 18th and Wyandotte area was definitely more relaxed, but even the other galleries on Baltimore between 20th and Lydia's weren't bad.  I didn't feel that the crowd at the Dolphin was necessarily more "pretentious," I just got the feeling they were there to be seen, not to look at the art.

This was the first time I've been in a couple years. . . the whole event was a bit different back then.  For one thing, Twenty 20 was a nice quiet coffee place/bar, the other night it looked like it wanted to be a rave.  That scene doesn't quite do it for me either.  Maybe I'm just getting old.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I've never thought the crowds for FF seemed all that pretentious. Though I've been going a lot in the winter months, so those who go to be seen aren't likely to come at that time. And I love 18th & Wyandotte, and it has a markedly non-pretentious vibe to it, I've always thought-- despite being one of the best blocks in the city in terms of vibrancy and adherence to design principles.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think First Friday should continue diversifying the cultural and entertainment options (beyond the art galleries).  I'm guessing most of the people crowding galleries aren't looking at the art, much less thinking of buying, and if they had some other activity option they'd just skip out the galleries entirely and let other peeps who do want to see what's up get a chance without feeling like cattle.  In the warm weather it seems there are a couple of things that can be done. (and please add whatever ideas any of you all get)

1)  Experimental open air theater

Plenty of interesting places to try experimental theater in the crossroads (i.e alleys, surface parking lots, sidewalks).  (i would keep the theatrical pieces short, and probably just repeat them as the evening went on).  Or they could even set up a small temporary theater space, and do a straight play.

2)  Open air movie projections

You chould project onto buildings, or a screen.  Depending on the demand i guess they could show full length movies, but maybe shorts would be more appropriate (maybe MK12 can get on that ((since they are located right off Baltimore), project their inhouse projects onto a wall).

3)  Outdoor installation art/architecture

Christo in a parking lot? It would be cool if they created temporary structures on the surface lots, and have people wander around in them, give "form" to these empty lots.  I think artists and architecture students could collaborate to create some interesting stuff.

4)  Have a soap box derby car race

Seriously!!!  People could come up with nutty soap box cars, less about the race, and more about the creativity of the car.  Wyandotte would make a great street for that (seeing as it has a good incline).  Then again, i guess organizers could figure out what the best street was (since Wyandotte is pretty well trafficked) maybe the street a block over to the west (or maybe just a street in the east crossroads).  Plenty of streets have good soap box derby car racing gradients. 

Ok, those 4 things come to mind.  Anyone else got ideas?
AimlessLad
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AimlessLad »

Regarding the influx of "pretentious" people, I guess that's just the nature of the beast. First Fridays is a victim of its own success, and it's now a popular destination for many different reasons. We can't yearn for more people downtown, then be picky on which kind of people that includes.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

AimlessLad wrote: Regarding the influx of "pretentious" people, I guess that's just the nature of the beast. First Fridays is a victim of its own success, and it's now a popular destination for many different reasons. We can't yearn for more people downtown, then be picky on which kind of people that includes.
I hope my observations weren’t interpreted as exclusionary. If they were intended that way i would be more pretentious than the people I am making snap judgments about. I am just saying that the experience was not what I expected and that I might not be that jazzed about going back again.

More power to anyone that wants to go to first Fridays, it's great for our city. I sure as heck don't want anyone telling me where i can and cannot go.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

anyone got the feeling this FF is going to be a zoo?  I'm excited/anxious, since it's always great to see crowds on the sidewalks having a good time; at the same time, as evidenced last month, there's a point where it gets to be too much (especially if the crowds are packing into galleries).  Anyone know if they are going to have other activities, outdoor events etc. to diffuse and diversify the crowds a little?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ComandanteCero wrote: anyone got the feeling this FF is going to be a zoo?  I'm excited/anxious, since it's always great to see crowds on the sidewalks having a good time; at the same time, as evidenced last month, there's a point where it gets to be too much (especially if the crowds are packing into galleries).  Anyone know if they are going to have other activities, outdoor events etc. to diffuse and diversify the crowds a little?
The Star telling everyone to bring their strollers down certainly won't help anything.  :roll:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

"Nobody goes there anymore - it's too crowded."

-Yogi Berra
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Interesting article in USA Today last fall mentions Kansas City as one of three burgeoning art districts outside of New York.  Small blurb, but the noteriety is cool nonetheless.

Art districts paint the town
New York may be the nation's mecca for art lovers, but it's not the only U.S. city with an artsy vibe. Over the past decade, a growing number of other urban areas have sprouted thriving art districts — complete with live-in artists, galleries and funky stores. USA TODAY's Gene Sloan looks at three burgeoning art districts outside the Big Apple that are worth a detour.

The Crossroads/Kansas City, Mo.

The scene: Located just south of downtown, the Crossroads was a no-go zone of vacant buildings until artists began moving in about a decade ago. And it's only in the past few years that the area has exploded with art galleries, restaurants and design stores. Thousands now turn out for First Fridays, a community-wide open house that takes place the first Friday evening of every month (complete with art openings and live performances). And residents are moving into newly refurbished lofts. The boom, in fact, has come so suddenly that some pioneers, including artists, are starting to grumble (particularly about soaring property taxes).

The count: 60 galleries and decorative-object stores.

Top galleries: Byron C. Cohen Gallery, Dolphin, Sherry Leedy Contemporary Art Gallery, Blue Gallery, Grand Arts.

Wining and dining: Twenty 20 and Lidia's for contemporary Italian dishes; Webster House, an upscale eatery/antique store where you can buy a $20,000 sideboard along with lunch; Town Topic, an old-school hamburger joint here long before the artists.

Coffee fix: YJ's Snack Bar.

Don't miss: Christopher Elbow Artisanal Chocolates, where the art is edible; Retro Inferno, a leading outlet for mid-century modern design; Birdies, where Kansas City's emerging art star Peregrine Honig has a side business selling limited-edition panties.

Information: 816-472-5701; crossroadscommunityassociation.org.

Old City/Philadelphia

The scene: Ben Franklin surely would be shocked by the transformation of the historic waterfront area he once called home. A hideaway for artists as far back as the 1970s, the low-rise warehouse district has erupted with galleries and restaurants over the past decade and now lures upscale residents to newly built lofts. In addition to fine art, the district is known for craft galleries showing world-class clay, glass and fiber arts. And it's developing a reputation among serious modern-design collectors. (Moderne Gallery, in particular, is nationally known as a dealer in George Nakashima's hand-crafted furniture.) A watershed moment for the zone was the arrival of the critically acclaimed Arden Theatre in 1995.

The count: 40 art, craft and design galleries.

Top galleries: Gallery Joe, Pentimenti Gallery, Larry Becker Contemporary Art Gallery, Snyderman-Works Gallery, Moderne Gallery, Clay Studio, Wexler Gallery, Wood Turning Center.

Wining and dining: Farmicia, for local, organic produce and meats; Continental Restaurant & Martini Bar, a hipsters hangout for drinks and small bites; Tangerine, a theatrical, contemporary space serving Moroccan-influence dishes; Buddakhan, trs-chic, with pan-Asian cuisine; Fork, a bistro.

Coffee fix: Old City Coffee

Don't miss: Foster's Urban Homeware, for fun and hip items; Tin Angel, which books top singer/songwriters four nights a week; First Fridays, a district-wide open house the first Friday of every month.

Information: 215-599-0776; gophila.com; oldcitydistrict.org. Also, fallonandrosof.com/artblog, for art happenings citywide.

The Pearl District/Portland, Ore.

The scene: Few art districts have grown as quickly as The Pearl, which seems to become busier by the day. Located just a short walk north of downtown, the former warehouse area is now home to nearly 30 art galleries, up from a handful just a few years ago, and offers everything from wearable art to Picassos (at the Widney Moore Gallery and Lawrence Gallery, respectively). The area also boasts ethnic eateries, wine bars and coffeehouses, and it's quickly drawing an eclectic mix of home furnishing stores with everything from vintage to modern (from mom-and-pop boutiques to Design Within Reach). Loft living came early to htis area, and there already are 2,500 units in the area with more on the way, making for a homey, urban-village feel.

The count: Nearly 30 art galleries, 50 home furnishing stores.

Top galleries: Janice Griffin Gallery; Diamond Tanita Gallery; Marghitta Feldman Gallery; Lawrence Gallery; Mark Woolley Gallery; Elizabeth Leach Gallery; Quintana Galleries; Widney Moore Gallery; Bullseye Connection Gallery.

Wining and dining: Oba! Restaurant, for Spanish Mediterranean; andina, for Peruvian; Pho Van Vietnamese Bistro; Sin Ju, for sushi; Bridgeport Brewing Co., Oregon's oldest craft brewery; The TeaZone, for tea lovers; and, for wine, the Vigne Wine Bar and 750ml.

Coffee fix: Caffe Allora; Torre Fazione Italia.

Don't miss: Nationally known Jimmy Mak's jazz club; Powell's Books, a pilgrimage site for used-book lovers; First Thursdays, a district-wide open house/celebration the first Thursday evening of every month.

Information: 877-678-5263; shopthepearl.com.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinat ... icts_x.htm
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Who's going tonight?

I don't think I can make this one unfortunately.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

just follow the sound of off key sounds like a broken reed sax playing.........you'll find micheal.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Last evening's First Friday was the first time I decided to attend solo and I must say that it was the best time I've ever had!!

You always run into someone you know at FF ("Hi ya, riebschlager!") and if you're on your own, you can stop and chat (or not) for as long as you wish, take your time looking at exhibitions, dancing, films, or musical performances (there were some really talented musicians out and about last evening) without worrying about whether the person you're with is enjoying themself or whether you still have everyone in the group...

I find that attending FF with more than a maximum one other person is an absolute disaster! The best part about going alone is that it gives you an opportunity to chat with all sorts of people- people that would normally not approach you, or vice versa, if you were attached to a group of bodies awkwardly navigating their way through the bustling crowds. One example: whilst strolling about, I met someone who's only lived in KC for a month- we chatted about some of the many things that Kansas City has to offer over a beer at Grinders, then I continued on my way. 'Twas nice.

I love First Friday, particularly for the life that it brings to the city, reminiscent of the Golden Days of Kansas City, but, in my opinion, the event is simply more enjoyable when experienced alone. I recommend attempting it at least once.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I could not agree more scoot.  I took my wife last night and you always wonder if you are doing what she wants to do and if you are missing something you want to see.  It's always fun, but I gotta do it alone and just soak it all in sometime.

It was packed last night, awesome.

I have to wonder though, it seems like the concert at crown center has little effect on FF, I would bet the majority of the people that go there (especially a country concert ;)) do not even know FF is going on.

We had some relatives tell us after they went to a concert last year down there that they could not believe how vibrant downtown was now.  They just noticed all the people downtown.  I could not tell them it was only like that once a month, they were too amazed and impressed with downtown.

They were from Grain Valley and don't do downtown often.
Last edited by GRID on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.