OFFICIAL - Commerce Tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Commerce Tower

Post by earthling »

geeman68 wrote:That CVS needs to be a 24 hour store and there needs to be a secondary Walgreens or something in the Crossroads or in City Market
Yes, it's time for a downtown Walgreens but they are just now closing 200 stores so not likely to happen anytime soon.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

earthling wrote:
geeman68 wrote:That CVS needs to be a 24 hour store and there needs to be a secondary Walgreens or something in the Crossroads or in City Market
Yes, it's time for a downtown Walgreens but they are just now closing 200 stores so not likely to happen anytime soon.
Rite Aid, Good Neighbor Pharmacy, City Target...and so on
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I have a feeling that the CVS will move out of that retail spot at some point, and into a larger space in a new project. If I were to predict, I would say it will be into the Copaken project at 12th and Grand if it ever gets built. I can also see a Walgreens going into a new project on the Assurant surface parking lot at 20th and Grand, or as part of the Washington Square Park redevelopment, if that ever gets done.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

CVS could also be a good fit in the new KCPL North building. Tired of driving to North KC for late night drugstore trips.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:So anyway, 342 apartments on floors eight and higher. Is this going to be the biggest residential building downtown by unit count?
accurate!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

BTW, with this project KC will have the 3 tallest residential buildings in Missouri. 909 Walnut is also already tallest building in Midwest outside Chicago (I think still is) and when original KCP&L converts, KC will have 2 tallest buildings in Midwest outside Chicago.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

BTW, with this project KC will have the 3 tallest residential buildings in Missouri. 909 Walnut is also already tallest building in Midwest outside Chicago (I think still is) and when original KCP&L converts, KC will have 2 tallest buildings in Midwest outside Chicago.
While this may technically be true, office conversions don't really "count" in my head - purpose-built residential buildings do. To that end, I would think KC is more similar to peer metros, with Alameda Tower, San Francisco Tower or maybe One Light among the tallest?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Maybe conversions don't count from development perspective but in the end, when someone can choose to live at over 400', it definitely counts. KC will have 3 buildings that offer that. Most Midwest cities might only offer 1 (if that) outside Chicago.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

What will be truly unique about living in Commerce is if they keep the connections intact, you will have indoor access to the Commerce Tower apt, Commerce Bank (old and newer towers) including the Commerce Arcade, Town Pavillion and the Stinson building. How awesome would that be if you could walk to work from your apartment while never leaving an enclosed building and only having to walk outside for 1/2 a block to get to Cosentinos and P&L?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Good for winter, bad for street life.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:
pash wrote:So anyway, 342 apartments on floors eight and higher. Is this going to be the biggest residential building downtown by unit count?
accurate!
actually, not accurate. the riverfront development is ~400 units.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I know everyone is excited about the Riverfront development, but I don't like it. Those units should be in the CBD creating a centralized focus. Instead, we are trying to build on empty land.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:I know everyone is excited about the Riverfront development, but I don't like it. Those units should be in the CBD creating a centralized focus. Instead, we are trying to build on empty land.
same logic for columbus park development?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: same logic for columbus park development?
Probably unpopular, but yes. Although, they are totally different types of development. Columbus Park is an established neighborhood. Development that meets the ideal of the neighborhood should be encouraged. But, Riverfront Park is open land. We have enough open land in the CBD that needs focused on.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would be nice to see focus on more infill closer into downtown first but any opportunity to increase Greater Downtown population doesn't hurt. And at least Riverfront development plans aren't a sprawling suburban style office park that it could have ended up as.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

earthling wrote:And at least Riverfront development plans aren't a sprawling suburban style office park that it could have ended up as.
It looks pretty suburban to me, ala Mission Farms.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I agree with your sentiment, but on the other hand, the port authority is a different tool in the toolbox. And the potential of adding that area, and the riverfront in general is too much of a prize to put off.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:I agree with your sentiment, but on the other hand, the port authority is a different tool in the toolbox. And the potential of adding that area, and the riverfront in general is too much of a prize to put off.
Agreed! And unlike all the great projects filling lots, the riverfront project will be visible to every SB vehicle crossing the river. It's the kind of thing that people who don't stop downtown can point to as an example.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: It's the kind of thing that people who don't stop downtown can point to as an example.
Example of what?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.