OFFICIAL - Commerce Tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Commerce Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

DaveKCMO wrote:Really a shame that they are touting low rent but bundling the price of parking into the price. Make it cheaper an unbundle the parking for those who don't want to store a car!
I asked the developer about separating them out one time and he couldn't understand why you would want to do that.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

If you believe everyone should own a car, why would they be separated?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:If you believe everyone should own a car, why would they be separated?
if you believe everyone should own a car, why would you make such a big deal about developing at a streetcar stop? :-/
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

DaveKCMO wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:If you believe everyone should own a car, why would they be separated?
if you believe everyone should own a car, why would you make such a big deal about developing at a streetcar stop? :-/
It's an extra amenity, like liquor storage or an indoor dog park, but nobody's going to use it as a serious primary form of transportation. That's ridiculous. Everyone still NEEDS a car.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

geeman68 wrote:Wow. under $700 mo for a 1 bedroom AND parking!
Studios start at 700

1 bedrooms start at $1095/month

Also I just put down a deposit on a 28th floor unit!!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
Everyone still NEEDS a car.
My brother, a lawyer, lived in KC/River Market after college in the late 90s not owning a car (now in Brooklyn). He took bus, rode bike and rented car or borrowed mine if he really needed to. Now with Zipcar adding downtown locations, streetcar, bikeshare, Uber cheaper than cabs and somewhat better bus system, owning a car downtown certainly isn't needed for everyone - depends on where you work.

When you consider the cost of a car, insurance, maintenance, garage parking spot, etc. renting a car only when needed probably pays off for downtowners, unless you have to drive daily for work - and that's considered so last century to millennials and urbanites. I own a car but consider it a luxury as I take bus and use bike often. And when getting car serviced at Northtowne dealers, can still take bus home.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I understand the reasons for not owning a car but when I was younger a car was definitely needed. My sport activities took me all around town. I had trips out of town. Even kids required the use of a car for their various activities like sports and dance. For one job I had as an auditor I went around the town and out of town, all requiring a car. Even working for the city required a car since I had to visit various city locations and on weekends doing inventory at varous city locations.
So, yes, I can see someone requiring a car and still wanting to live on the streetcar line if able to.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

aknowledgeableperson wrote:I understand the reasons for not owning a car but when I was younger a car was definitely needed. My sport activities took me all around town. I had trips out of town. Even kids required the use of a car for their various activities like sports and dance. For one job I had as an auditor I went around the town and out of town, all requiring a car. Even working for the city required a car since I had to visit various city locations and on weekends doing inventory at varous city locations.
So, yes, I can see someone requiring a car and still wanting to live on the streetcar line if able to.
The question isn't whether individuals on the streetcar line need a car or not. The question is why a developer can't see that there are individuals on the streetcar line that don't need a car.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Maybe the developer does see that situation but at the same time but decides it is easier to market with the parking spot. Afterall he doesn't know beforehand how many do need or how many don't need a parking spot. At the same time a tenant may need a parking spot to start but after a few months may not have the need for whatever reason or the reverse (marriage, divorce, job change, etc). At the same time it could be a requirement from the finance company.
Who knows, after some experience the policy will change.
More in response to this: "I asked the developer about separating them out one time and he couldn't understand why you would want to do that."
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:I understand the reasons for not owning a car but when I was younger a car was definitely needed. My sport activities took me all around town. I had trips out of town. Even kids required the use of a car for their various activities like sports and dance. For one job I had as an auditor I went around the town and out of town, all requiring a car. Even working for the city required a car since I had to visit various city locations and on weekends doing inventory at varous city locations.
The question isn't whether individuals on the streetcar line need a car or not. The question is why a developer can't see that there are individuals on the streetcar line that don't need a car.
Thinking as the developer they're probably worried if they unbundled they would run out before the last units lease.

So the trick is I would reserve a spot for every unit but not make people take it. They pay less without parking.

Earlier residents can get their name added to a pool and they can get any spot that's released. So a two bedroom could take three spots. (I'm thinking roommates and someone owns a motorcycle too)

When someone moves out with no parking the next available spot goes to that unit and the first leaser gets first choice for it, and so on. If two people with multiple spots move out the dedicated one(s) stay with that unit and the rest go back into the pool with the same caveat. At any time someone can release a spot back into the pool. They can stop paying and lose the right to the spot. This gives some seniority while always giving each unit a chance to have parking.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Another situation arises. How does the developer pay for the parking associated with all the units. If he has to pay for parking dedicated to the development the best way for him to make payment is to have the tenants pay for the parking through the rent. Lowering the rent to making a parking spot optional could make him pay more for parking than he takes in on rent.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

The pricing sheet I received from one of the leasing agents lists parking at $100/space. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. Unless one space is included and each additional is $100?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

hgascoigne wrote:The pricing sheet I received from one of the leasing agents lists parking at $100/space. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. Unless one space is included and each additional is $100?
1st Parking space is included in rent, 2nd space is $100
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://bit.ly/2ctswcl

"It's the most complicated project the city has ever helped put together or that anyone from HUD has ever done," Knight said. "It's been a long process but the cool thing is that we've had so much buy-in, from schools, the city, the state, the federal government, all the way up to Jonathan Kemper himself."

:roll:
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Apparently move-ins have already started.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

The replaced windows look horrible and don't match the existing windows.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

still plywood covering a vertical row of windows on the west side as of this weekend.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dnweava wrote:The replaced windows look horrible and don't match the existing windows.
Where are these windows?
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

smh wrote:
dnweava wrote:The replaced windows look horrible and don't match the existing windows.
Where are these windows?
upper floors on multiple faces, the replaced windows have a white trim, so the trim alone makes them stand out badly. But also the color of the glass doesn't match the old windows either.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dnweava wrote:
smh wrote:
Where are these windows?
upper floors on multiple faces, the replaced windows have a white trim, so the trim alone makes them stand out badly. But also the color of the glass doesn't match the old windows either.
Interesting. I look out at the west face of this building all day long and have not noticed. I think the building looks the best it has in years.