One Kansas City Place

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: One Kansas City Place

Post by AllThingsKC »

Robafurd wrote: or trans-siberian orchestra
Or maybe a reflection from the Trans-America building?!
KC is the way to be!
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

I noticed the lights on Wednesday night, too.  Looked good.

But now they're back to displaying the French flag.  I guess KC is making a play to be the "Paris of the plains"!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I know there was some talk of GXP putting some sort of display in the former food court area fronting Main, but now that Cordish has all the small storefronts built around 12/Main there should be an effort to redevelop the abandoned 1KCP food court as an anchor restaurant or retail space.

There would have to be some remodeling done to access the space from the street, but it really is a prominent and promising piece of frontage on Main Street. There really are a number of things that would work nicely including dividing part of the space for a new McDonald's and a bookstore or maybe a large restaurant like Maggiano's. The location sandwiched between the financial district and P+L entertainment (RIGHT next to Midland) surely must account for something. Maybe Tower could even get Cordish involved in helping to lease the space with an appropriate tenant.

Here's some inspiration from Fashion Show Mall in Vegas in how they worked large restaurant spaces into a multiple level area facing street traffic.
http://myworldreviews.com/reviews/Maggi ... ig-412.png
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Executive Hills has leased to KCP&L.  There's something planned for the food court but I don't know what it is.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Energy Center of some sort.  Public exhibit. 
cdm2p wrote: Executive Hills has leased to KCP&L.  There's something planned for the food court but I don't know what it is.
2taall
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 2taall »

Hey All,

This seemed to be the perfect thread in which to post this information.

Per Architect Dave Mullick At PBNI, from the 1KCP's blue prints..

The official height of 1KCP from the Main Street entrance(the building's main entrance) is:

575'  parapet-main roof line
585'  parapet- rooftop structure that spire sits atop
623'  spire

I am unsure where the 632' height figure came from that is posted all over the web, however years ago 1KCP was listed a 626, 610, and even 601 I believe, so I was able to get this straightened out finally.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thank God that got cleared up, I couldn't even sleep last night. :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Don't stand next to 2taall at the urinals.  See his posts on the skyscraper page.com.  Seems to have an obessession with reducing the heights of buildings in KC. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they've been working steadily on the energy center, in what used to be the food court facing main street.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have always tried to figure out how a 42 story building was 630 feet tall.

That 630' number has been out there forever.  Somebody officially put tht number out there and it stuck and whow know's, it could still be right.

But who cares????

Till KC stops building 5 story buildings in the suburbs, the skyline won't change anyway.  KC's skyline has barely changed since the 1980's.
Last edited by GRID on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2taall
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 2taall »

moderne wrote: Don't stand next to 2taall at the urinals.  See his posts on the skyscraper page.com.  Seems to have an obessession with reducing the heights of buildings in KC. 

I already worked STL over, so it's time for KC. :)

The Hyatt is off, too. It's 425' to the "saucer" ,not 504' as listed all over the web. Per the building engineer blueprints.

AT&T is shorter than its listed 591' to its spire. This is just from visual observation as compared to 1KCP. It's probably more likely in the 560' range. In order for AT&T to be 591', its spire would have to rise above the 585' roofline of 1KCP, which it obviously doesn't and, in fact, falls several stories shorter. I'm trying to get in contact with the architects over this one to get its exact height.
2taall
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 2taall »

moderne wrote: Don't stand next to 2taall at the urinals.  See his posts on the skyscraper page.com.  Seems to have an obessession with reducing the heights of buildings in KC. 
Nope. Just trying to get accurate info.
2taall
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by 2taall »

GRID wrote: I have always tried to figure out how a 42 story building was 630 feet tall.

That 630' number has been out there forever.  Somebody officially put tht number out there and it stuck and whow know's, it could still be right.

But who cares????

Till KC stops building 5 story buildings in the suburbs, the skyline won't change anyway.  KC's skyline has barely changed since the 1980's.
Actually, Plinko from skyscraper page thinks he's the one who came up witht he 632' figure. I just re-read the thread.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

GRID wrote: I have always tried to figure out how a 42 story building was 630 feet tall.

But who cares????

What about the PAC?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Driving back from KCI tonight I noticed the lights have been changed back to all white. It looked very strange....I don't think they have been all white since 9/11. I liked to see the go back to all white.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I noticed it too while driving in from the Northland. I was amazed at how bright it seemed. It was the brightest part of the whole skyline! All white looks plain, but the brightness is pretty cool.

This is my "crappy cell phone camera while driving at night" photo:
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I like it since it's brighter but our skyline will always look underwhelming at night until a lot of our buildings add decent lighting.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KansasCityCraka wrote:I like it since it's brighter but our skyline will always look underwhelming at night until a lot of our buildings add decent lighting.
The KC skyline is not bad at night, but would be a lot better if they lit up the town pavillion. That building would look very sharp at night with its unique top. Never understood why they didn't light it up.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

1201 Walnut used to be lit at top, but those lights are slowly burning out, or burnt out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... tower.html
Timothy Walsh, COO of Los Angeles-based Gaw Capital Partners USA LLC, said that within the next two weeks, he expects to announce two new tenants that will relocate to about 20,000 square feet in One Kansas City Place from locations in Overland Park and the Country Club Plaza.
By the end of this year, Walsh said, work will begin on an interior makeover that will include new lighting, lobby finishes, soft seating, sculptures and other art.

The improvements, expected to be completed by the second quarter of 2015, are being designed by two local firms: BNIM of Kansas City and Kaster Architects of Overland Park.