in need of suggestions...

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
jennmkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jennmkc »

I've been scoping out lofts downtown for almost 2 years now and I'm still searching. The first of March I plan to move the heck out of Independence. I'm looking for a studio or 1 bedroom where I can have pets (2 cats). I wanted to live in the Library lofts but the only thing they have available is for $795 a month :shock:

So if anyone has any suggestions... I would like to keep it under $600 a month... I know this may be tough but a lot of places are giving a month free so you can pro-rate it out a bit... I really want to live at the Clubhouse lofts... but there is no way I can afford $770 a month either :(

help ](*,)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

New Quality Hill always seems to have deals but they are usually for the harder to rent 2 bedrooms.

Quality Hill towers has cheap places but not sure how "quality" they really are.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
jennmkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jennmkc »

KCPowercat wrote:Quality Hill towers has cheap places but not sure how "quality" they really are.
yeah i toured those... quite scary... *sigh*

unless this new job i'm going for pays a lot... i guess i'm stuck :(
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

910 Penn is right around there. Did New Quality Hill not have anything?

If you qualify for affordable housing check out places like Finance Building, Hanover, etc. Especially if you have a low paying job now and are about to get a big bump, as long as when you apply for affordable housing, you can prove your income level below whatever the cutoff is, they cannot kick you out of the building for making more than that in future months.

jennmkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jennmkc »

KCPowercat wrote:910 Penn is right around there. Did New Quality Hill not have anything?

If you qualify for affordable housing check out places like Finance Building, Hanover, etc. Especially if you have a low paying job now and are about to get a big bump, as long as when you apply for affordable housing, you can prove your income level below whatever the cutoff is, they cannot kick you out of the building for making more than that in future months.
Quality Hill requires your cats to be declawed. Yeah I think I make right at the cutoff... Do you happen to have the contact info for the Finance Building or Hanover? or do I just need to go by them?

Thanks for all the info btw :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think I have it at home, I'll post it then.

jennmkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jennmkc »

KCPowercat wrote:I think I have it at home, I'll post it then.
awesome... again i really appreciate it...

i called quality hill and they said nothing about declawing... i will probably tour them saturday... i just really wanted to be in a big building but at this point i'll take what i can get :wink:
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:New Quality Hill always seems to have deals but they are usually for the harder to rent 2 bedrooms.

Quality Hill towers has cheap places but not sure how "quality" they really are.
Actually, I think Quality Hill Towers is one hell of a deal. Awesome view and good location for a next to nothing price. I strongly considered those when I moved here and know people that like it there. I'm not sure where the "scary" element comes from. They are pretty small and they only window A/C units (that are already in place), but for the price, you can't complain.

The other affordable options in the immediate area are the income restricted stuff, Walnut Tower, 910 Penn, and University Tower over on the other side of the Paseo. I've only toured QHT and UT and liked both, but UT is sorta a diamond in the rough and you won't be walking to a lot of neighborhood amenities from there.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

I think in KC, ''Scary element" means the sighting of a black person in the vicinity!
jennmkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jennmkc »

omenapt wrote:I think in KC, ''Scary element" means the sighting of a black person in the vicinity!
haha... no... i called it scary cuz i've had some friends live there and i've heard the quality of the builiding isnt great, the walls are thin, and WINDOW AIR [-X !!!

i guess i'm kinda spoiled after looking at library loft, clubhouse lofts, and some of the nicer ones in the river market area... *shrug*
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

omenapt wrote:I think in KC, ''Scary element" means the sighting of a black person in the vicinity!
Yeah, I sorta had that thought, so I'd hope somebody would be forced to clarify on what "scary" meant or admit that it was a baseless comment.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You guys have to admit QH Towers vs. new places charging close to the same prices are in different leagues. I'm sure the type of tenant wasn't in question. fishing for drama I think.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:You guys have to admit QH Towers vs. new places charging close to the same prices are in different leagues. I'm sure the type of tenant wasn't in question. fishing for drama I think.
I wouldn't call a place in an older building "scary" -- slummy, maybe, but scary has a different connotation.

Besides, I don't think you are going to find something downtown with a better quality/price ratio than Quality Hill Towers. Everything is $700+ or you're going to make a compromise. My point that the compromise at Quality Hill Towers isn't all that significant.

I head people call a lot of less expensive places "scary" because rents are cheaper, which means the tenants can be less polished and in higher proportions of minorities. However, a downtown without affordable housing options is just a crap yuppy playground and not a real urban center.

I like Quality Hill Towers and I have a friend that is moving in there. If you are on a budget, you'll compromise to get downtown. It reminds me of my friend's parents that wanted to move to a condo downtown, but they wanted tons of rooms and space like in their JoCo house. It is more than just the dwelling itself, people, its DOWNTOWN!
jennmkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jennmkc »

sorry it i used the wrong word...

i'm open to almost anything... but having pets i would prefer to have central air... i understand that living downtown you have to compromise on a few things... but i think the pros out weigh the cons...

thanks for all the suggestions...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kc loft central does all of those buildings I was disucssing (hanover, finance, chambers, etc)

866-24LOFTS

here is their website (doesn't have the ones above on the site)
http://www.kcloftcentral.com/

Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Some of the apartments in the River Market owned by Embassy Properties (leasing office on Delaware Street) were income restrictive. The cut-off should be around $27 - $29 K. I think rent was $525 / mo.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Critical_Mass wrote:Some of the apartments in the River Market owned by Embassy Properties (leasing office on Delaware Street) were income restrictive. The cut-off should be around $27 - $29 K. I think rent was $525 / mo.
According to the girl at the Downtown Neighborhood Association meeting, the cutoff is $29,200.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Hey, Mikey, when someone calls a place "scary", I just want to understand their perspective. I have a friend that is moving to this building and I want to know what has driven others away. Also, simply calling it scary might not help other readers understand the intricacies of the place. If someone is specific about what turned them off about a certain place, each person can judge for themselves if that factor is important to them and they can form their own opinion.

Simply calling something "scary" is counterproductive and doesn't say anything. I wasn't attacking anybody -- I just wanted to understand the perspective, both to realize what factors people consider when they move downtown so I can give better advice to people in the future, and to understand what someone else saw in Quality Hill Towers that I didn't.

Relax, man. Besides, we're asking questions. You're doing the policing.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.