Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:Has Cordish indicated their anticipated contribution?
Since they will be the primary beneficiary, this is an expectation. I would also expect a contribution from Loews and AEG. There's no public support for this being primarily funded by local city dollars.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd like to know where the economic impact number was figured out.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If Cordish funds it, they're going to want to shut it down for private events all the time right?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Again, Cordish funds the cap of the highway in exchange for firm approval of the city funding all parking garages for Light 3-6. Good deal for both. Park shouldn’t be closed during normal business and entertainment hours. Would have to make sure it’s closed overnight so it doesn’t become a homeless tent city.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

I'm confused by this part:
The other significant savings comes from reducing the cost of ventilation and life-safety requirements by limiting the stretch of the South Loop running beneath the deck to 800 feet.
What's shown in the images is an uninterrupted deck between (effectively) Central and Grand which covers some 1700+ feet. If there's going to be a gap of more than 100 feet right at Main St then that's a big drawback that needs to be presented clearly.

On a separate note, I'm disappointed that there's never been any talk about doing something with the east side of Grand. It seems like a huge fail to me to spend so much money on a deck and leave half of a major street exposed like that. If it were up to me, I'd put in a thin retail strip there, maybe 50 feet wide -- just something as small as possible that would function as an attractive sound barrier. It would probably add less than $10 million to the project cost and part of that would be offset by the rents generated. It's a small price for something that would give this project its logical bookend. (I know that MODOT opposes using their air rights for private sector buildings, but that's purely a political issue that could be dealt with. Cities in other states do it.)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kas1 wrote:I'm confused by this part:
The other significant savings comes from reducing the cost of ventilation and life-safety requirements by limiting the stretch of the South Loop running beneath the deck to 800 feet.
What's shown in the images is an uninterrupted deck between (effectively) Central and Grand which covers some 1700+ feet. If there's going to be a gap of more than 100 feet right at Main St then that's a big drawback that needs to be presented clearly.

On a separate note, I'm disappointed that there's never been any talk about doing something with the east side of Grand. It seems like a huge fail to me to spend so much money on a deck and leave half of a major street exposed like that. If it were up to me, I'd put in a thin retail strip there, maybe 50 feet wide -- just something as small as possible that would function as an attractive sound barrier. It would probably add less than $10 million to the project cost and part of that would be offset by the rents generated. It's a small price for something that would give this project its logical bookend. (I know that MODOT opposes using their air rights for private sector buildings, but that's purely a political issue that could be dealt with. Cities in other states do it.)
Im pretty sure that its basically illegal to use it. Also, it would probably add a lot more than $10 to the cost
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

If it's illegal then it's only a law at the state level -- so as I said, a political issue. What sort of constituency would care at all about fighting to keep such a law on the books?

And as far as that goes, the image in the article shows retail/restaurant spaces in several locations anyway.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

ldai_phs wrote:Also, it would probably add a lot more than $10 to the cost
It might actually be cheaper: https://casestudies.uli.org/wp-content/ ... 035010.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm sitting with the designer. What would you like to know? Quickly!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Any limitations to water features or vegetation?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Could it support a stage? Maybe just something temporary for outdoor events or concerts
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

does the designer agree that it would be reeeeeally nice to extend it east of grand?
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Can there be a place for food trucks like a food truck park?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's not a bad idea. A food truck park at this location along streetcar line might attract broadly. Though if Cordish is partly funding the cap, they'll probably kill it (competing with P&L restaurants). Union Station needs to allow food trucks at the streetcar platform, even if licensed with a few allowed per day or timeslot.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Can we make it retractable?

&
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sorry for the tease, but our (unrelated) meeting ran long so I didn't get to ask. I'll try to follow up offline.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote:I'm sitting with the designer. What would you like to know? Quickly!
Did he mention anything about how the tunnel will deal with ventilation and emergency access? Like would it be completely sealed or will there be gaps between the overpasses and the decks to allow fumes to exit? I guess I'm wondering if it will be an actual tunnel with ventilation fans, smart technology to close lanes etc or will they build it to somehow avoid those added expenses.

That might be one reason they stop at Grand to keep it under a specific length to avoid the extra tunnel equipment. However, if they do avoid making it an actual ventilated tunnel to save money, that could dramatically change what they can do with the actual park on the deck. There might be more gaps etc, much like how bartle hall and the ballroom create a tunnel effect, but don't actually close off the interstate from carbon monoxide or fumes from a fire etc.

You would just have decks built over the interstate connected to the bridges with small foot bridges etc.

Just wondering how they are planning to do this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Based on the story sounded like they were doing what they could to avoid the ventilation infrastructure expense...at least that's this specific plan and why it's so much lower....something about under 800 feet...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It sounds like cordish knows that they're going to have to fund a significant part of this. I'm both thankful and nervous at the same time.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

WoodDraw wrote:It sounds like cordish knows that they're going to have to find a significant part of this. I'm both thankful and nervous at the same time.
How do you reach the conclusion that Cordish will contribute anything to this? they are not even funding parking garages physically attached their buildings.