Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by normalthings »

JBmidtown wrote:Is decking/capping across the whole south loop out of the question? The report from 2009 says the whole project wwould cost $145+ million. What other improvements does the bond package go towards?
According to the city weekly agenda, the GO bond will not exceed 93.5 Million dollars
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If I were picking, i would do Walnut next. It's getting the next tower right at it so there's going to be hundreds of new residents along it within the next few years.

Best to improve that experience so it's not a barrier to people visiting the crossroads from downtown. The train is great, but it doesn't make sense to walk to 14th, hop on the train and ride to 16th and get off when you can walk to 16th and Walnut.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Power and Light Park?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ldai_phs wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:Is decking/capping across the whole south loop out of the question? The report from 2009 says the whole project wwould cost $145+ million. What other improvements does the bond package go towards?
According to the city weekly agenda, the GO bond will not exceed 93.5 Million dollars
you must be looking at the wrong bond issuance. it will exceed that, guaranteed.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

ldai_phs wrote:
That $93.5 million figure oN last weeks agenda you were looking at is a refinancing package on existing bonds that should save the city about $8million in debt payments. If they want to cap the loop they will need to issue new bonds that would require a vote.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:
That $93.5 million figure oN last weeks agenda you were looking at is a refinancing package on existing bonds that should save the city about $8million in debt payments. If they want to cap the loop they will need to issue new bonds that would require a vote.
Ah ok. I'd personally rather see the money go into subsidies or streetcar expansion then into capping the loop. No point in capping it till theirs much stronger demand for land downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think MoDot should pay for it since they made the mess to begin with.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote:I think MoDot should pay for it since they made the mess to begin with.
But not without the blessings of the City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would imagine that if it is ever done that there will be some federal transportation money kicked in as well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Article discussing replacing part of the Central Freeway through the Hayes Valley and Western Addition neighborhoods in San Francisco, and creating a boulevard.

From Freeway to Boulevard

http://urbanland.uli.org/infrastructure ... boulevard/

Google Streetview showing the new boulevard where a decked freeway used to pass through the neighborhood.

http://tinyurl.com/nnnr6ob

http://tinyurl.com/nou5kt6

Removal of the decked freeway opened up parcels for redevelopment.

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

With inflation, cost of capping would go from $145-175 Million in 2009 Report to $160-$195 Million Today.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

ldai_phs wrote:With inflation, cost of capping would go from $145-175 Million in 2009 Report to $160-$195 Million Today.
Better money spent on that then an arena or stadium, in my opinion.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

shinatoo wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:With inflation, cost of capping would go from $145-175 Million in 2009 Report to $160-$195 Million Today.
i agree. this would be used on the daily, compared to a stadium that would only be used a couple days a year.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

ldai_phs wrote:
shinatoo wrote:
i agree. this would be used on the daily, compared to a stadium that would only be used a couple days a year.
The Royals Stadium would not be a "couple" days a year. But I like capping the loop and adding parks or additional builds on top versus a stadium.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It was my understanding that part of capping the loop would be removing Truman Road and allowing development of that land. Wouldn't selling off that valuable land, directly in front of the park and facing DT offset some of the cost?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

who says it would be a park?

a cap could be buildings.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

It is interesting that the Two Light building appears to front both Truman & Grand. I know some people were worried that if this section was ever capped, the surrounding buildings wouldn't interact with the new land.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:who says it would be a park?

a cap could be buildings.
The planned cap is in fact both. The convention center is planned to be expanded past the ballroom. The rest would be capped and turned into a park. Truman road would be re-routed to the north.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Should put the stadiums over the trench. Two birds, one stone. BOOM! *

*I have not even looked to see if there is anywhere near enough room.