Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by grovester »

"Mostly", like Dallas, which is controlled by the private entity, mostly.

The north loop is time-lined for 15-20 years out iirc and would be filled in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This should be private & MoDot funded only and MoDot ain't giving us any money for it (did they give any on the STL cap?)
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

I've looked through the forum to see if this is being discussed and can't find anything. Mods delete if these renderings have already been posted.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Where did you find these? I don't think I've ever seen a plan like this for the north loop before
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Urban design document here:

http://www.beyondtheloopkc.com/#about
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The loop will be capped when the sun sets in the south/southeast, during pleasant weather – even though it may coincide with hell freezing over.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

taxi wrote:The loop will be capped when the sun sets in the south/southeast, during pleasant weather – even though it may coincide with hell freezing over.
No kidding. It's pretty much a pipe dream to just to get the freeway capped/removed let alone build this fantasy stuff on top of it when half of the downtown loop is still parking lots. Modot still does nothing but put band-aids on the local interstate system when most of it should have been ripped out and rebuilt 20 years ago and they are going to fund this? I don't see this ever even remotely becoming a reality especially since Kdot and Modot are hell bent on spending money keeping the Lewis and Clark viaduct an interstate route. (which is stupid).

It would be so much easier to deck over a few blocks of 670 to get something started and even that is just taking forever to get off the ground.

I'm still waiting for a true pedestrian bridge over the river and a decent riverfront trail system. KC is probably the only city in the country that lacks such urban recreational infrastructure. KC is just not good and implementing these kinds of things.

Not a downer post, just reality. KC is awesome but this is one part of urban planning that KC is just terrible at.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

GRID wrote:
taxi wrote:The loop will be capped when the sun sets in the south/southeast, during pleasant weather – even though it may coincide with hell freezing over.
No kidding. It's pretty much a pipe dream to just to get the freeway capped/removed let alone build this fantasy stuff on top of it when half of the downtown loop is still parking lots. Modot still does nothing but put band-aids on the local interstate system when most of it should have been ripped out and rebuilt 20 years ago and they are going to fund this? I don't see this ever even remotely becoming a reality especially since Kdot and Modot are hell bent on spending money keeping the Lewis and Clark viaduct an interstate route. (which is stupid).

It would be so much easier to deck over a few blocks of 670 to get something started and even that is just taking forever to get off the ground.

I'm still waiting for a true pedestrian bridge over the river and a decent riverfront trail system. KC is probably the only city in the country that lacks such urban recreational infrastructure. KC is just not good and implementing these kinds of things.

Not a downer post, just reality. KC is awesome but this is one part of urban planning that KC is just terrible at.
There won't be a true pedestrian bridge over the river until there's something on the other side worth walking to. I think that will happen as soon as someone realizes the potential of Harlem and builds a bridge connecting to Rivermarket. In other words, not in our lifetime.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Isn't Harlem currently a pay by the week place for sex offenders?

I don't see that happening. I don't see this happening either, bit I applaud the effort and civic planning.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Removing this from MoDot fiscal responsibility is the reason I think south loop has legs.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

WoodDraw wrote:Isn't Harlem currently a pay by the week place for sex offenders?

I don't see that happening. I don't see this happening either, bit I applaud the effort and civic planning.
It's technically an area rather than one building.
http://kcur.org/post/take-trip-harlem-k ... d#stream/0

The area would make a great place to bulldoze and redevelop. Imagine skyline views from a highrise there. Highway access is right there, it's really a no-brainer.

Google Earth screenshot from approximately 10-15 stories up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mister816 wrote:I've looked through the forum to see if this is being discussed and can't find anything. Mods delete if these renderings have already been posted.

Apparently the Unified Gov (KCK) is formerly opposing the removal of the North Loop and has stated they will not support it through the MARC process. Their concern is the potential affect of an additional 3 minutes of congestion to the PM commute.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

kboish wrote:
mister816 wrote:I've looked through the forum to see if this is being discussed and can't find anything. Mods delete if these renderings have already been posted.

Apparently the Unified Gov (KCK) is formerly opposing the removal of the North Loop and has stated they will not support it through the MARC process. Their concern is the potential affect of an additional 3 minutes of congestion to the PM commute.
Um, for real? Source?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

hartliss wrote:
kboish wrote:

Um, for real? Source?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not gonna happen. Too much interest.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Oh no 3 minutes
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The chasm of benefits between 3 min of travel time for Village West dwellers and Billions in investment seem stark.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Also, maybe there is another way to affect travel times aside from highway lanes? Like, gee, I dunno build light rail instead?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

kboish wrote:
hartliss wrote:
kboish wrote:

Um, for real? Source?
Jeez.