OFFICIAL - Ambassador Hotel (1111 Grand)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 1111 Grand hotel proposal

Post by geeman68 »

I know. With the old courthouse/post office and 1006 Grand moving full force, hopefully the Pickwick will be picked up for reno and then the Reserve will start gaining traction and this will become a major residential hub.  Sort of a crazy thought. Hopefully we then pick up more sustainable retail and service establishements in this section of the loop. Crazy!
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Is there some general redevelopment plan for Grand Ave from River Mkt and the southern loop? Is this the same area where Copaken is planning a office/retail bldg? What's the plan for the old library bldg?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At one time, the City was looking at buying or renting space in the former library building, but I haven't heard much about it since.

As of now, there is no plan. The Board of Education, which owns the building, is planning on selling it. I also read somewhere that the old library building might be demolished for parking for the Sprint Center, but that might have been speculation on a forum.

Regardless, the library/board of education building is in need of a major rehab. It's probably full of asbestos as well.

If the City doesn't buy it (I don't know where they'd get the money at this point), I'm guessing that Jon Copaken will.  If he could control that block, it would make his parcels on Grand between 12th and 13th more valuable in that it would allow him to have more structured parking for that block and project.
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: At one time, the City was looking at buying or renting space in the former library building, but I haven't heard much about it since.
True but since the Water Dept has moved out along with the Parks to 63rd Street the demand for additional space has decreased.  Also, the number of layoffs has also decreased the need.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

macnw wrote: Is there some general redevelopment plan for Grand Ave from River Mkt and the southern loop? Is this the same area where Copaken is planning a office/retail bldg? What's the plan for the old library bldg?
I wish they would do something to improve Grand Avenue. Even if it were little things like adding more festive planters along the street.

There is no fifth destination.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Grand Avenue in its current state is an absolute embarrassment.

The gravel vacant parking lots, one demolished building after another......

I seriously cannot get over the fact that this abomination is THE main street through the heart of a major American city's downtown. 

Sad to see what we have allowed Grand to become/  It really is.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I mistakenly wrote that this hotel will be developed by Coury when it'll be managed instead.

can anyone verify if the group developing this project is the same group that just opened Luna and took over the lease for Blonde? It's sounding like Terrace on Grand, Luna, Grand Hotel, and the former Blonde space are all the same ownership group. If so I wouldn't be surprised if this hotel is sexy rather than staid. A sexy, modern, boutique hotel downtown would be a massive hit.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

trailerkid wrote: I mistakenly wrote that this hotel will be developed by Coury when it'll be managed instead.

can anyone verify if the group developing this project is the same group that just opened Luna and took over the lease for Blonde? It's sounding like Terrace on Grand, Luna, Grand Hotel, and the former Blonde space are all the same ownership group. If so I wouldn't be surprised if this hotel is sexy rather than staid. A sexy, modern, boutique hotel downtown would be a massive hit.
Agreed.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Also agree.  Looks like the same owners.  And yes, a modern, sexy boutique hotel downtown would be killer.  I hope the deal gets done.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

BTW, has anyone been to Luna yet?  Is it open?  I know they hosted an event there last week.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KC Sporting Life wrote: BTW, has anyone been to Luna yet?  Is it open?  I know they hosted an event there last week.
I was on the list Saturday night.  Friend of a friend of the DJ.  But, didn't end up going b/c of a conflict. 

So, yeah, it's open. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It's back! Awesome news for downtown.  8) And Coury will own it after all.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/14/25 ... kc-to.html

Here's the lowdown from Yelp on Coury's Colcord in OKC:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/colcord-hotel-oklahoma-city

and the Ambassador in T-town:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hotel-ambassador-tulsa

Maybe turn over Hotel Phillips keys to Coury while we're at it.
Last edited by trailerkid on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It looks like the restaurant might also be a nice addition to the CBD. Both the Oklahoma properties have seemingly sophisticated dining operations. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

MidtownCat wrote: Grand Avenue in its current state is an absolute embarrassment.

The gravel vacant parking lots, one demolished building after another......

I seriously cannot get over the fact that this abomination is THE main street through the heart of a major American city's downtown. 

Sad to see what we have allowed Grand to become/  It really is.
I remember parades down grand as a kid plus after the Chief's and Royal's championships in the 70's and 80's and I was shocked to see it in its present state while back in town over the holidays.  The wall of buildings on either side is greatly diminished giving KC that look of a city that had been bombed a few years back...debris gone but nothing in its place.  It is shameful. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've not stayed in either of the oklahoma properties, despite visiting tulsa with frightening regularity. anyone stayed at the ambassador? is it better than the mayo?

regardless, great news for grand!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The website for this project is http://www.grandhotelkc.com.  Its still just a placeholder.

KCDowntown
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

The website is up (looks about halfway done) with some renderings of guest rooms.

Grand Hotel KC Website

The website mentions a ground-floor restaurant called The Founders & a March 2012 opening date.

KCDowntown
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I just heard a friend of a friend is interviewing from this place....so definately seems like movement.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

KCDowntown wrote: The website is up (looks about halfway done) with some renderings of guest rooms.

Grand Hotel KC Website

The website mentions a ground-floor restaurant called The Founders & a March 2012 opening date.

KCDowntown
Did you catch all the grammar errors too?  :lol:
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

kcmetro wrote: Did you catch all the grammar errors too?  :lol:
It's grammatical errors, and also...
I hope you did that to poke fun...

If not
FAIL
Last edited by mister816 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.