OFFICIAL - Ambassador Hotel (1111 Grand)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kansasfarmboy

OFFICIAL - Ambassador Hotel (1111 Grand)

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Club chemical's license to be reviewed today by liquor control of KC for possible permanent closure.

In my opinion they should have let STATE liquor control handle this. Kc Mo L-C, Has NO teeth and even though they most likely will get it suspended this opens the door for the owner to go straight to the state and ask for an appeal  . He owns another club with a 100% clean record and will in my opinion state that all of the problems are with the element of the area not the club itself. As usual Kc Departments jump the gun without doing their legal research I read the reasons  for the suspension, On the document itself and of the 4 only 1 was properly researched and asserted.

I feel the gentleman , should he decide to want to reopen has a very geood chance of obtaining a TRO (temporary restraining order ) for 90 days to reopen and have his case heard in jeff city with state liquor control.  Where a JUDGE will hear it Not a board of self serving city commisioners.

Do not misunderstand me , I do not want the place to re open its a MENACE, and an eyesore , and a clear and present danger for those who live around there when it operates.

However Kc Liq control should have taken their time , did their research compiled their evidence and went state with the allegations, they would have had a much better chance at keeping it closed.

Believe me, Im a Law grad from UMKC and I KNOW what I am talking about here. I specialize In Tort Law  . This Owner has a prima facia case to show a pattern, practice, and or custom for harrasment from the city, should he retain competent counsel to show this (which I hear he has)
Last edited by trailerkid on Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Ambassador Hotel (1111 Grand)

Post by KCPowercat »

thanks for the update...in the future, try to find the old thread where we were talking about this so we can keep one conversation going about it....keeps the clutter down :)

But this is fine, as a resident of the area, I will be waiting for results...how does this affect Gladstone? :D
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

It doesnt affect gladstone however I have the crime blotter for my city and its DISTURBING and extensive... some it close to my house ....

But I keep statistics on my own , And this is a 28% increase over the same time last year , NOT including the 100,000 insider theft at VaN CHevrolet of parts overnight ,

Things are not ALL rosy In Gladstone I admit it

Gladstone Reported by the Gladstone Public Safety:

• 53rd
Street and Central N., stealing, May 17.

• 53rd Terrace N.W., 200 block, sexual assault, May 18.

• 63rd Street N.W., 300 block, stealing, May 13.

• 68th Street and Antioch N., DUI, May 15.

• 68th Terrace N.E., 2600 block, burglary, May 15.

• 68th Terrace, N.W., 900 block, burglary, May 16.

• 72nd Street N.E., 2500 block, stealing, May 17.

• 72nd Street N.E., 3500 block, burglary, May 16.

• 74th Street and Oak Trafficway N., narcotics, May 16.

• Antioch N., 5800 block, stealing, May 14.

• Antioch N., 5800 block, stealing, May 15.

• Antioch N., 6000 block, stealing, May 17.

• Antioch N.E., 6000 block, robbery, May 15.

• Appletree Lane N.E., 3500 block, assault, May 15.

• Bales, N., 5900 block, stealing, May 15.

• Baltimore N., 7500 block, stealing, May 14.

• Charlotte N., 6100 block, stealing, May 19.

• Clinton Lane N., 6100 block, stealing, May 13.
• Euclid N., 5700 block, burglary, May 14.

• Euclid N., 5800 block, stealing, May 14.

• Gladstone Lane N.E., 6000 block, stealing, May 13.

• Holmes N., 7000 block, narcotics, May 16.

• Missouri 1 N., 7200 block, auto theft, May 13.

• Missouri 1, 7200 block, stealing, May 19.

• Montgall N., 6600 block, assault, May 16.

• Oak Trafficway N., 7200 block, stealing, May 15.

• Oak Trafficway N., 7200 block, stealing, May 18.

• Olive N., 6200 block, assault, May 14.

• Olive N., 6800 block, stealing, May 13.

• Olive N., 6800 block, stealing, May 13.

• Olive N., 6900 block, stealing, May 13.

• Olive N., 7000 block, assault, May 18.

• Olive N., 7000 block, stealing, May 14.

• Olive N., 7000 block, stealing, May 15.

• Park N., 6800 block, stealing, May 13.

• Park N., 6900 block, stealing, May 16.

• Prospect N., 7100 block, stealing, May 15.

• Shady Lane N.E., 2400 block, stealing, May 17.

• Shady Lane N.E., 2500 block, assault, May 17.

• Shady Lane N.E., 2500 block, assault, May 17.

• Shady Lane N.E., 2500 block, auto theft, May 13.

• Shady Lane N.E., 2500 block, auto theft, May 15.

• Virginia N., 6000 block, assault, May 17.

• Wayne N., 5800 block, assault, May 13.

• Wayne N., 6700 block, stealing, May 18.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

what does Gladstone's blotter have to do with Club Chemical? Please one topic...it's already hard enough to follow.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:what does Gladstone's blotter have to do with Club Chemical? Please one topic...it's already hard enough to follow.

I was merely using it as an example to show that , despite how I portray gladstone in the eyes of some folks here the crime rate along with ALL the other things that surround club chemical exist in gladstone and its growing ..

thats all!!
KC_Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Fan »

Thanks for the info KFB. I'm particularly interested in the outcome of club chemical, as I also find it a menace to downtown KC.

Keep us posted! :)
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

does anyone know how the hearing went yesterday ? I cant find it in any news stuff. ?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Combustible mix is neutralized

By KEVIN COLLISON
The Kansas City Star

One of downtown’s baddest actors has changed hands, at last and folks who care about the area couldn’t be happier.

The historic Gate City National Bank building at 1111 Grand Blvd., infamous in recent years as the home of Club Chemical, was purchased last week by its neighbor, the owner of the Professional Building.

The Alexander Co. of Madison, Wis., has spent $21 million to renovate the 16-story Professional Building at 11th Street and Grand into 132 apartments with retail space at street level. The last thing it needed next door was a 3 a.m. nightclub with a reputation for violence.

“It was a blighted building with a use we didn’t feel was compatible with residences next door,â€
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Tear it Down! Tear it Down! Tear it Down!&
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

This building is beautiful.  I was just going to say the last thing they should do is tear this thing down.  It looks great....very historical.  Buildings of this size are the best.  They add to the big city feel but they are not skyscraper enough to have the cold feeling.  Just the right height, where you can look up from the street and see lights on from a condo or activity in a law office above. 

You think retail could eat up a building like this.  Imagine with all the lofts and tourism close by, having a two story Banana Republic, Express, etc at this location!!!
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by advocrat »

Looks like the kind of building that could accomodate a nice sit-down restaurant on an upper floor (like Heaven on Seven in Chicago).
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

advocrat wrote: Looks like the kind of building that could accomodate a nice sit-down restaurant on an upper floor (like Heaven on Seven in Chicago).
Oh man, it would be awesome to get a great cajun restaurant downtown.  Bring KiKi's back!

I'm glad to hear that the buidling has sold.  It was always a little heartbreaking running past there and seeing how the previous owners had let the building go.  I hope they restore the old metal facade instead of tearing it out to update it.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I got to thinking about this building last week after eating dinner at Teller's in Lawrence.  Teller's is a converted bank building, complete with the vault door still in place.  Really cool atmosphere.  Maybe this place could do something similar, although it sounds like it is bigger than Teller's.

Teller's has utilized the old vault space for the restrooms.  My 16 year old son comes back to the table and announces, "I just peed in a bank vault.  One more thing to scratch off the to-do list."
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

As Grid already noted. This building being proposed for a small boutique hotel.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/653245.html
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I didn't see any discussion on this elsewhere?

We now know the developer of this project will ensure a historic, upscale boutique hotel along the lines of the Intercontinental-- probably will be the nicest hotel in the downtown area. The company developing it has some way decent properties in OK including a hotel in FLW's tower in Bartlesville. It sounds like they'll do something similar to what Jury did with the President. $8 M rehab on a quite small property that will open next year.
http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... 00^3169541

KC needs a niche hotel like this downtown. I wish the plans for the Savoy would come back online as well. This is your customer that will be dining at places like 801, Bristol, Le fou frog, & Michael Smith. Now if we just had a strip of retail stores for them...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm relieved something is happening with this building. I hate seeing it sit empty.
There is no fifth destination.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I wonder if there is still time to tear this building down before development begins???  The City needs to move fast...

Seriously, though, this project is awesome.  And, being so close to SC + P&L, I see occupancy being no problem.  Where will people park?  Serious question.  

Do Hotels historically spark development?  Stretch of Grand between 14th - 10th desperately needs some infill.      
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Per biz journal:  50 parking spaces are being leased in the lot that will replace Shopper's Parkade.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC-wildcat wrote: I wonder if there is still time to tear this building down before development begins???  The City needs to move fast...

Seriously, though, this project is awesome.  And, being so close to SC + P&L, I see occupancy being no problem.  Where will people park?  Serious question.  

Do Hotels historically spark development?  Stretch of Grand between 14th - 10th desperately needs some infill.      
parking will be on the former shopper's parkade site. I find that a little strange and would assume they'd valet most hotel guests.

there is potential for continued development immediately to the south for a mixed use (structured parking, retail, residential) between this project and Traders on Grand. Grand is one of my favorite streets downtown and I hope these residential and hotel projects turn it around a bit. Grand seems to have the most potential to become a very strong business + residential corridor from Crown Center to the Rivermarket.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Very cool building and excellent news.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag