OFFICIAL - Ambassador Hotel (1111 Grand)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Ambassador Hotel (1111 Grand)

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Not sure when it happens but The Ambassador will be apart of the Marriott Autograph Collection which is what the Raphael is under. Marriott has a huge dominance in the Urban Core
Announced a couple weeks ago I think...looks like they start taking reservations under the Marriott flag at the end of November.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The Ambassador hotel is looking to build a 6-7 story addition adjacent to the existing building where a surface parking lot currently exists. The addition would add ~70 rooms to their existing ~45 rooms.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That parking lot is bigger than the building. Will be a decent addition.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Excellent! Glad to hear it--hope it comes to pass.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

One surface parking lot down...99 more to go.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think the hotel uses that lot for guests. Will the new structure include parking?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

No structured parking. Surface lots on McGee (directly behind hotel) are sufficient according to owners.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Great news. I've been impressed with the Ambassador renovation since it opened. Glad to hear they're doing well enough to expand on that scale.

Would love it if they could get a marquee restaurant tenant in there to take advantage of that beautiful lobby/bar space but unlikely under Marriott.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Behind is a different owner, so they must have a sharing agreement.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

rxlexi wrote:Great news. I've been impressed with the Ambassador renovation since it opened. Glad to hear they're doing well enough to expand on that scale.

Would love it if they could get a marquee restaurant tenant in there to take advantage of that beautiful lobby/bar space but unlikely under Marriott.
Is the Reserve not open any more?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Regarding parking- something interesting the owner said yesterday that signals a very good shift in KC(they were applying for a CID at yesterdays Biz session I was watching) was that they believe they only need about 60 parking spaces or less for the 120 rooms. They say that most people who visit their hotel no longer rent cars, but take some form of transportation to the hotel (Lyft, Uber, arranged transpo) and then do the same once DT. This is a fantastic shift for KC. It used to be that anyone coming in town HAD to rent a car to do anything here. Its debatable as to whether Uber or Streetcar is the biggest determinant, but you've got to think it is some combination of the two.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

If I still lived in the Professional Building I'd be kind of bummed about that since I used to park in that lot. Alas, such is the price of progress and I'm super happy to see the Ambassador doing well. My wife and I stayed there once and it's a bit of a hidden gem in the downtown area.

Looking a bit more at the satellite image it sounds like they're only expanding southward but not eastward? That would infill a little less than half of the total lot that wraps around the two buildings.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote:
rxlexi wrote:Great news. I've been impressed with the Ambassador renovation since it opened. Glad to hear they're doing well enough to expand on that scale.

Is the Reserve not open any more?
Reserve is definitely open and continuing to provide a great lunch and happy hour/dinner.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Reserve is definitely open and continuing to provide a great lunch and happy hour/dinner.
Yep didn't mean to imply they had closed, and to be fair I haven't been in some time. Just have felt like that space could justify a restaurant/venue that becomes a household name among locals as a solid dinner or cocktail spot. Hidden gem downtown is correct.

Not sure if Reserve is that, or any hotel restaurant in KC for that matter, though I loved the bar/roof at Rosso in Sorella and still dig the Oak Room at Intercontinental.
Last edited by rxlexi on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This might be my new favorite development. The city needs a high end, luxury hotel. I hope this fills that need. The Phillips remodel also is a positive. I do wonder how they will maintain the windows in the existing building with the new tower built next door.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Hope we can see a rendering soon, or at least a site plan. Hope they do something custom/design driven and not just some box. Hire Hufft??
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

First look at the Ambassador addition:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It looks like an embassy.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

looks like it's too wide to fit into the actual space but okay i guess... why are there no windows on the side?