Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Fantasy Retrofits: Barney Allis Plaza

Post by sethyg »

Moniker wrote: Barney Allis Plaza is still one of the hot spots to skate, if you can get there in the dead ofnight. We used to tear shit up there back in the day, before the rentacops started patrolling.
You got that right!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The city is in negotiations to bring World TeamTennis to Barney Allis Plaza according to the KC Star. One court would be added to BAP with Councilman Eddy saying it would cost less than $100,000 to install and bring the Explorers downtown. The Plaza courts are now under private management and the Explorers got booted from that venue.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 218226.htm

I don't know how the design would look, but IMO this is a good concept to bring the team to an urban environment.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That would kick ass. It would be a great place for a "real" tennis venue. Wonder if it is big enough to put a stadium on to host something like the US Open.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Can't help, but think we could do more with the blank wall, south side of BAP. I might get flamed, but I think that wall area would be perfect for a large hotel tower. It wouldn't impose upon BAP, but it would create more street animation in front of 11th Street near the Bartle Hall entrance. The engineering of the hotel could get a little creative with how it is interpretated on that plot of land ala the Westin Crown Center. I would also create a patio entrance to the hotel opening up into Barney Allis Plaza which would help bring more visitors to the park in general.

Adding a touch of density to an already dead part of this park complex would liven it up greatly as well as the surrounding convention district. I wouldn't hardly call that blank wall "a public space" in need of preservation.

Here's a bit of my vision:
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

What ever happend to the Barney Allis deli in the east end of the park? 

I don't think the park is that bad.  The view from the park looking around you is rather impressive with the convention to the west, the Marriott and its screen, and municipal.  It is more the approach which is a drag.  The west and east side is also dead air from the street level.  I think the problem lies more with how you get to the park than the park in general.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kc-vino wrote: What ever happend to the Barney Allis deli in the east end of the park? 

I don't think the park is that bad.  The view from the park looking around you is rather impressive with the convention to the west, the Marriott and its screen, and municipal.  It is more the approach which is a drag.  The west and east side is also dead air from the street level.  I think the problem lies more with how you get to the park than the park in general.
Yeah...I agree. I was thinking a hotel could level out that space along 11th and better distribute traffic as well as provide a better anchor for the park.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kc-vino wrote: What ever happend to the Barney Allis deli in the east end of the park? 
3 or 4 different operators tried to make a go of it in the 90's. Could not compete with the street vendors and had to close.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

trailerkid wrote: Yeah...I agree. I was thinking a hotel could level out that space along 11th and better distribute traffic as well as provide a better anchor for the park.
A hotel could work there, however, it would be best to do it by rebuilding the whole garage. 
A good idea for the whole block - new hotel, garage, and a park thrown into the mix.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: A hotel could work there, however, it would be best to do it by rebuilding the whole garage. 
A good idea for the whole block - new hotel, garage, and a park thrown into the mix.
Are you saying this because of structural/engineering issues?

I don't think you'd need to tear out the whole thing, although, I think you would have a better product in the end if you did. IMO, the north side of Barney Allis works. But there are definite issues in distributing people because of the large stairways around on the other sides. Most people passing by on the south side wouldn't even know it is a charming public space. BAP = The secret garden (on the south side). Because of this issue, the best short term solution would be creating a hotel or ground level structure on the south side. I do think there is a good argument for starting over, but I do like the park once you're actually inside of it.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

you sure a hotel would look good there? Heres a hotel slightly taller than the marriot:
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

You wouldn't be able to see the dancing lights on the Marriott!!!  Nooo!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCDevin wrote: you sure a hotel would look good there? Heres a hotel slightly taller than the marriot:
Thanks for putting that in there Devin!  :)

My main issue would be blocking the Music Hall/Municipal, but the current concrete wall pretty much already does that. Besides, in larger cities it is fairly common to see highrise buidings sitting in front or/next to shorter performing arts centers or theaters. The rendering surely strengthens BAP as an outdoor couryard for the convention district and I'll stand by my original proposal. I like the effect one would get standing in BAP and seeing the hotels and convention center on every side. Remember that another alternative for a convention hotel is the Truman Blvd proposal which would place a 1000 room hotel in front of the P+L Building.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

My vision for a convention center hotel:

Last edited by KCDevin on Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

trailerkid wrote: Are you saying this because of structural/engineering issues?

I don't think you'd need to tear out the whole thing, although, I think you would have a better product in the end if you did.
I am not an engineer but considering the condition of the current garage and it's structure on the south side it might be cheaper to tear down the original structure.  This garage is no spring chicken and it would not appear to be designed nor built to handle a structure larger than what is there.  And the City would have a better product end the end.

Starting from scratch would appear to be the best option.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Starting from scratch would appear to be the best option.
I agree, but I was just thinking in terms of fixing a situation. Starting anew would be best I believe.

I thought they were spending money to renovate or update that garage. I don't remember it being that bad...just a typical parking garage.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

The fix up and renovations are just cosmetic.  Long term fixes, although cheaper than building new, would be very expensive.

Just ask the car owner who had his new car, less than 500 miles on it, destroyed when part of the ceiling fell on it a few years ago.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The fix up and renovations are just cosmetic.  Long term fixes, although cheaper than building new, would be very expensive.
Are you talking about the TSC?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

^^^
Nah.
BAP is quite older than TSC.  And in much worse shape.  If TSC was as old or older than BAP then it would have made sense to build new.  In 2031 we should build new.

AT TSC.  NOT DT.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm a little weirded out by how fast the Explorers have been moved to BAP. Apparently the Barney's Cafe spot is now their locker room or something? That would've been a good location for something that actually brings people into the park.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

so wait...what all changed at BAP...any pictures?
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.