Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Union Station

Post by DaveKCMO »

i think the problem with that spot is weight. it's all elevated and not in good shape -- hence them closing it to buses (that happened well before streetcar was designed, as the original platform there was a center island).
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

earthling wrote:Would like to see another coffee bar (perhaps same operator inside) on E end of building that has a counter near the streetcar stop and outdoor patio seating in what used to be a circle driveway. Or convert the old circle drive into a well manicured pocket park that has a coffee/drink/bagel stand.
I've always thought some coffee shop should go into the old "Am-Shack" and call themselves 'The Am-Shack'. They could easily fit outdoor seating on the sidewalk area in front. Also it's right next a big office building that now houses the GSA so imagine there'd be enough demand in the area. Of course, though now that I'm actually thinking more about it, it would probably be very expensive to update that building so I have no idea how feasible that option is...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JLowe2018 wrote:
earthling wrote:Would like to see another coffee bar (perhaps same operator inside) on E end of building that has a counter near the streetcar stop and outdoor patio seating in what used to be a circle driveway. Or convert the old circle drive into a well manicured pocket park that has a coffee/drink/bagel stand.
I've always thought some coffee shop should go into the old "Am-Shack" and call themselves 'The Am-Shack'. They could easily fit outdoor seating on the sidewalk area in front. Also it's right next a big office building that now houses the GSA so imagine there'd be enough demand in the area. Of course, though now that I'm actually thinking more about it, it would probably be very expensive to update that building so I have no idea how feasible that option is...
that's actually a genius idea. trackside coffee...
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

A few food trucks there would destroy it during lunch.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

A joint effort by Parisi and Peirpont's would be the best case situation.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Union Station would be smart to work with some fast food restaurants (i.e. Wendy's, McDonalds, etc) especially with the KC Streetcar now stopping there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

east transit plaza starts construction monday: https://t.co/7pa1JtQ769

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sure would be nice if they would include some type of 3 season cafe or coffee shop out there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yes, or something like a bagel and fresh wraps permanent stand - hand eats in general. With plenty of outdoor seating and a mini-fountain or some type of water feature. Maybe budget for Phase II next year.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

shinatoo wrote:Sure would be nice if they would include some type of 3 season cafe or coffee shop out there.
Thumbs up to this. Email them and suggest it. I have been suggesting they put up some type of temporary/removable cafe style seating even without a food service option- maybe just let in food trucks (similar to Oppenstein Park). The city has few communal gathering spots or true plazas where people can gather and people watch. This spot could be good. Or even just do it inside.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kboish wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Sure would be nice if they would include some type of 3 season cafe or coffee shop out there.
Thumbs up to this. Email them and suggest it. I have been suggesting they put up some type of temporary/removable cafe style seating even without a food service option- maybe just let in food trucks (similar to Oppenstein Park). The city has few communal gathering spots or true plazas where people can gather and people watch. This spot could be good. Or even just do it inside.
Love the rotating food truck idea. Should have this at the other end of the line too.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, allowing permits for maybe 2 food trucks at a time to park on the platform (either scheduled or first come) with plenty of seating available would also work. Food trucks seem to be KC's closest alternative to small counter eats, which are more common on E Coast especially near transit centers/pocket parks.

And maybe have several posted signs around the platform about no open food/drinks allowed on streetcar.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The new west entrance plaza is slowly coming along. They are still removing concrete.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

laser light show at pershing and main tonight (dec. 3) and dec. 10: http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/hol ... owntown-kc
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why is it $8 to park at Union Station now?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:Why is it $8 to park at Union Station now?
demand? 50% of all streetcar boardings are there and most of them aren't arriving there by foot, bike, Amtrak, or bus.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Attack on Union Station by Army vet was planned for yesterday, though via participation of a staged plot by undercover Feds if I understand right. Sounds a bit like entrapment or maybe 'enabling' to some degree but apparently this guy wanted to be apart of an attack...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... =mainstage
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

beautyfromashes wrote:Why is it $8 to park at Union Station now?
At one point it was $8 and they had a guy taking cash. This last Saturday there was a ticket system and it was $5. We were there at least 4 hours so I'm assuming that was the max. I like the lower cost, but there were huge backups of cars trying to get out of the garage when we went in, and when we left which was after dark.