Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Union Station

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:east transit plaza starts construction monday: https://t.co/7pa1JtQ769

So with the east plaza apparently complete, are there plans for some kind of seating/tables, benches, etc.? With the high foot traffic right there it could use a food truck or something, especially on Saturdays. Or inside restaurants/coffeshop setting up their own outside stand.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

something like this would make a KILLING out there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

How to tell it's just a concept is when it's clearly not ADA compliant.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'll bite, why is it not ADA compliant?
gfisch95
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gfisch95 »

The concept appears raised above ground level with no ramps.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

gfisch95 wrote:The concept appears raised above ground level with no ramps.
Well sure.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

gfisch95 wrote:The concept appears raised above ground level with no ramps.
there's. It enough clearance for wheelchairs to navigate the tables either

It's a cool concept but you can tell it's more a thought experiment than a serious idea.

Case in point, I don't think they left space for a coffee maker
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So are there still plans to add significant seating on the platform between streetcar stop and US building? It direly needs more seating if not a mini-restaurant with patio. Allowing permits for foodie trucks would be a nice touch too. Or mobile carts for the US restaurants if there is some kind of non-compete concern.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Pershing Road is the most monumental area in town, but lacks actual people visible between the attractions. The honky tube does not help even though I appreciate it in the winter. Now that the even before inadequate Corinthian Hall will never be able to accommodate a true regional history museum this would be an ideal site. The only other site for a history museum on the streetcar line would be the north loop Commerce bank parking lots.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:So are there still plans to add significant seating on the platform between streetcar stop and US building? It direly needs more seating if not a mini-restaurant with patio. Allowing permits for foodie trucks would be a nice touch too. Or mobile carts for the US restaurants if there is some kind of non-compete concern.
Bike parking on that site would be helpful
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

introducing: the newly-renovated union station transit plaza!

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'll have to check it out in person - the photo is nice, but a little underwhelming.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ideally there would be some kind of mini restaurant, carts from inside restaurants or permit food trucks but a minimum there should be dozens of these on the platform if not more permanent seating....

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Also, my brother is in town from Brooklyn and we took the streetcar Saturday, was amazing how packed it was all day, and busier than normal early morning. They were running 4 trains all day. There was the 1 year streetcar party at the platform//front lot and had a great vibe. Would be cool to schedule similar events most every weekend throughout the summer for the platform, or at least tentatively - sort of like mini 'popup festivals' that may be canceled if it rains.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

earthling wrote:Also, my brother is in town from Brooklyn and we took the streetcar Saturday, was amazing how packed it was all day, and busier than normal early morning. They were running 4 trains all day. There was the 1 year streetcar party at the platform//front lot and had a great vibe. Would be cool to schedule similar events most every weekend throughout the summer for the platform, or at least tentatively - sort of like mini 'popup festivals' that may be canceled if it rains.
I think Saturday was the busiest streetcar day so far. The entire weekend was crowded which was great to see.

[edit] 17,267 for Saturday, over 40,000 for the weekend
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I was hoping they'd ditch the concrete stoop. I assume it's for seating? Seems awkward when disembarking in a large crowd.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

Full view of Union Station and the new west side upgrades from Eric Bowers.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video. ... &width=560

Hopefully that link works for everybody. If not, you can just go to his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ericbowersphoto/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Impressive on many levels. The train going by, can see chandeliers inside station, the eerie sky, very cool.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I was wondering around the station the other day, imagining myself as a tourist wanting to walk to Liberty Memorial. It had never occurred to me just how uninviting the trip across Pershing is. Either way it's a frustratingly indirect path to get to a spot less than 200ft away. This makes the fancy new plaza almost functionally useless.
ImageImage
It seems like putting some crosswalks around the Bloch fountain would benefit both Union Station and the WWI Museum, offering a clearer and shorter connection between the two.Image
Here's an image I made with my amazing photoshop skills.
To me this is a natural, but I've never heard any discussion about it. I'm no expert; are there regulations that would deter this setup?
Last edited by TheLastGentleman on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.