Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Union Station

Post by FangKC »

Givethismanabeer, yeah my brother worked his entire life at BNSF. He just retired last year after 42 years there.

Thanks for the reassurance about safety. I just worry because you see these stories about oil spills on train cars recently around the country.

I agree with your comment about the need for a 435 bypass rail equivalent around the city. It seems to me that it would be in the best interest of the country and state for the federal government to provide infastructure funding to build these types of rail lines around metro areas, and new switchyards in more remote places on the edges of cities for safety purposes; to move freight faster, expand capacity, and free up intercity rail lines for commuter trains. I don't know how this would work. Loans perhaps, or the feds build the capacity and turn it over to railroads in some sort of shared ownership and have them maintain the lines. This type of arrangement might negotiate freeing up intercity lines for public transit purposes.

It also seems necessary because railroads like BNSF are shipping so much coal through the city, and more and more oil is also being shipped by rail in lieu of actual pipelines that have yet to be approved.

The other thing is movement of nuclear waste. I recall seeing some report awhile back about the controversy of shipping all nuclear waste to the Yucca Mountain facility in Nevada. While it hasn't been approved by the federal government, one of the concerns was that much of it would have to be moved through metropolitan areas. I think the same report mentioned that the public wasn't aware of the dangers of toxic waste and other chemical that were being shipped through cities already.

Thus, my concern about the lack of bypass rail routes around cities.

As you are probably well aware, many former railyards in cities have been abandoned completely, and are being repurposed for commercial and residential development. They are often in prime locations. New York City has redeveloped a couple of former railyards.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

if you didn't make it to union station today, you missed quite the day of programming. sunday they'll play the chiefs game on the big screen for free (with a bar).

http://www.unionstation.org/100years/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

DaveKCMO wrote:if you didn't make it to union station today, you missed quite the day of programming. sunday they'll play the chiefs game on the big screen for free (with a bar).

http://www.unionstation.org/100years/
Awesome! Definitely heading out tomorrow with the kids.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Union Station posts profits for fifth consecutive year.

http://tinyurl.com/lsmqnff
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

The American Ninja Warrior stage is being set up in the front parking lot of Union Station. It should be a lot of fun. If anyone is interested in tickets here is the link. I think it will be active from now until the 20th. At least that is how long Pershing will be closed.

http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/am ... ja_warrior

Most of the shows are being held at night and early morning hours. Since it will probably keep me up I may as well join them. It should be great views of KC during the filming.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

There was just an announcement about upgrades to the station beginning construction this year. I'd post a link, but the Star's website is a mess and I have no idea how to find a story on there. There was a line in the story about a significant cost savings thanks to bridge modifications (around $2.5 million, IIRC) that allowed them to get started this year. Does anybody know what was cut?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If the first rendering is accurate, the WB-only entrance and exit into the parking lot from Pershing will be removed and they'll be adding an additional sidewalk (for whatever reason) in that little green space.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

pash wrote:The press release also says the city is spending $600,000 on improvements to the streetscape along Pershing, but I don't what that involves. I don't notice any changes in the rendering.
It is the landscape/streetscape that is on the southern portion of the top drawing. I saw it on the Parks and Rec Board meeting agenda today. It was listed as a "matching grant" on Pershing road.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The front lot would make a great drop off/event space
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Would be nice to see a connection from the pedestrian bridge/Freight House to the new green space next to Science City. I imagine it will be used somewhat sparingly, especially after-hours, and might make for a nice open lawn/public space for Freight House loft dwellers, etc. At least would encourage some use there, though I understand public green space is not at all its purpose.

I imagine the streetscape improvements along Pershing will look great, and the garage connection to the front drive is long overdue.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

rxlexi wrote:Would be nice to see a connection from the pedestrian bridge/Freight House to the new green space next to Science City. I imagine it will be used somewhat sparingly, especially after-hours, and might make for a nice open lawn/public space for Freight House loft dwellers, etc. At least would encourage some use there, though I understand public green space is not at all its purpose.

I imagine the streetscape improvements along Pershing will look great, and the garage connection to the front drive is long overdue.
I believe this was included in earlier concepts, but I'm afraid that the $2.5 million in savings came in part from eliminating it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... -deal.html
"Amtrak reaches (tentative) destination on Kansas, Missouri lines"
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Any news on Missouri's new Bi-levels train cars? Also, Amtrak came through Parkville today. Charter or testing a new route?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Delivery of the new cars is late 2015-2018. A third go to California.

http://www.nipponsharyousa.com/tp121106.htm

There's that train control system issue with the terminal railroad. Can't say for sure, but a realistic alternative to that route could go through parkville via north of the river. In theory the system could reroute to use BNSF route that crosses at Atchison. Goes into Nebraska and hits Denver on its way to LA. They would be smart to have contingency plans figured out for the Chicago to LA route. It's not unrealistic since there's been issues with speed through Kansas so cutting that service for a loop around could happen anyways. Missouri service to STL could end at Independence
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KC to Denver. Please Please Please.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

The Atchison line has been out of service on the Missouri side since the 2011 flood. You can see all the washouts on Google Earth.