Columbus Park Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Columbus Park Redevelopment

Post by scooterj »

kboish wrote:Its so far from the street. I can barely see it.
I was noticing earlier today how desolate and terrible that looks from the HOA Bridge and assumed/hoped there was another row to be built. Just now caught up on this thread. Depressing. I can't believe they wouldn't at least put the parking on the interior of the block.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If I were an urban planning professor teaching students, this project would be among my examples of worst practices.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

This is a current listing from Reece:

I am working with a
client who is seeking 3,000-4,000 SF for Brewery and Tap Room

Specifications:
• Taproom +/-1,500 Sq Ft and Brewery +/-1,500 Sq Ft with loading dock
• Outdoor area big plus for beer garden
• Prefer free-standing building but will consider multi-tenant in good location
• MO side only; Ideally Waldo or Columbus Park
• Walkable area
Time Frame:
• Commencement 4Q 2016
• Long term lease or lease-to-purchase

Please send all pertinent property information to:

RC Jensen
rc@reececommercial.com
P: 913.945.3726

Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Covering the Kansas City Area

STAY CONNECTED
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Have them call Sue Burke.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Raytown Phoenix »

Cruised through columbus park this week. Whoa...what the heck. A bunch of apartments and surface parking smack dab where common area could be.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Raytown Phoenix wrote:Cruised through columbus park this week. Whoa...what the heck. A bunch of apartments and surface parking smack dab where common area could be.
Thought the same when I was headed down to Local Pig the other day. That surface parking is college apartment ugly.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Drove through CP yesterday; the new apartments look beyond terrible and cheap. This would have been an amazing opportunity for a denser and taller neighborhood. Then again, where would everyone have parked?!? Idiots.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is what is being designed for Lenexa around 87th Street and Penrose. This is what should have been built in Columbus Park. Imagine, Lenexa, a low-density suburb putting in better density than a neighborhood in downtown Kansas City that is literally five blocks from the core of the business district, and adjacent to the streetcar line.

http://www.klover.net/the-district/

The site in Lenexa.

http://tinyurl.com/j9weyuz

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'm sure these points aren't news to you, but there are at least two differences between and Columbus Park that allowed for this density: 1. Lenexa has a very clear plan for that area that includes higher densities and 2. the developers and city didn't have to contend with much - if any - neighborhood resistance.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

missingkc wrote:I'm sure these points aren't news to you, but there are at least two differences between and Columbus Park that allowed for this density: 1. Lenexa has a very clear plan for that area that includes higher densities and 2. the developers and city didn't have to contend with much - if any - neighborhood resistance.
the golf course won't care about the density.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

I don't understand the interest in big flat roofs on square shaped projects. They remind me of the Bin Laden compound.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... istan.html
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

I'll never understand this city's inability to create a critical mass along major streets.
Critical mass promotes more and denser development on side streets.
It seems like every developer wants to build their project in disparate places (blocks), negating the benefit of close and connected proximity to other development that creates a critical mass, safer neighborhoods and walkability.

Look at 18th & Vine, there's a nice apartment building a few blocks south on Vine Street that is disparate and barely walkable to the 18th & Vine District. There is basically nothing but empty grass lots between the Vine Street Apartments and the District. Had they been built along 18th Street or even closer to District, it would help to create more street life and safety. Really crazy.

And this CP project basically does the same thing. It could have created a beautiful gateway to/from the City Market.
Instead 5th Street still feels empty, unsafe and there's no connectivity.

We simply refuse to understand the "Main Street" concept and how creating one vibrant, walkable, dense street will draw more development to eventually fill in the side streets. But throwing projects haphazardly spaced away from each other will never accomplish success.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Sounds like their first few units are coming online soon.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Columbus Park lofts feature space, rents that starving artists should love
Columbus Park Developers, which finally broke ground on the CP Lofts a year ago, was selected by the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority more than eight years ago to transform a 22-acre Columbus Park site, once dominated by public housing and old industrial buildings, into a vibrant urban village.
The idea that this development will be a vibrant urban village is laughable.

http://tinyurl.com/zjrzchc
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It already looks like 'the projects'. Worst large project in downtown area that I can't think of in last 15 years. There will be some crappy projects at times but wow, what a missed opportunity to tie Columbus Park to City Market with true urbane pedestrian scale developments.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

The article sounds nice, but why take on the expense of granite countertops if you're only providing basic/builder-grade fixtures/sinks and old-school (non-flat top) cooking surfaces????
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Raytown Phoenix wrote:The article sounds nice, but why take on the expense of granite countertops if you're only providing basic/builder-grade fixtures/sinks and old-school (non-flat top) cooking surfaces????
what makes you think they didn't get a deal on the granite? like it's a color that isn't selling well
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Granite is not the luxury it once was.
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

grovester wrote:Granite is not the luxury it once was.
Agreed. Just looks a little like "here's a decent steak...side dishes consist of Cheetos and Funyans."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its exactly what Union Hill Founders has done. In different buildings you can get the exact same floor plan, both granite, one with vinyl tile in wet areas, cheap carpet throughout, black appliances with raised stove heating elements, or ceramic tile in wet areas, wood floor in living dining, stainless appliance with flat ceramic stove. Price difference monthly $300-$500.