Columbus Park Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Columbus Park Redevelopment

Post by FangKC »

Building partially collapses near KC's Columbus Park
A building partially collapsed Wednesday morning at Missouri Avenue and Campbell Street.
http://tinyurl.com/hqru7zm

The facade above the third floor balcony collapsed (indicated in red).

Last edited by FangKC on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Word on the street is that City building inspectors have decided this building must be demolished immediately. I know it's rough, but I doubt such drastic measures are necessary. Please, fellow raggers, let's mobilize to save this building. Shirley, there's something that can be done. At the least, it can be stabilized (like the Cosby Hotel) until a more thorough and less brash assessment can be made.
HELP!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Wish I was an engineer.
mykn

Post by mykn »

grovester wrote:Wish I was an engineer.
I wish I was the right kind of engineer.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

taxi wrote:Word on the street is that City building inspectors have decided this building must be demolished immediately. I know it's rough, but I doubt such drastic measures are necessary. Please, fellow raggers, let's mobilize to save this building. Shirley, there's something that can be done. At the least, it can be stabilized (like the Cosby Hotel) until a more thorough and less brash assessment can be made.
HELP!
Pass. Unless you're fronting the cash. Then, by all means, go for it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I drove by this morning and they were removing the corner of the building on the third floor on a part of the building where the facade had not collapsed. I don't know if this means they are demolishing the building, or just removing sections of the facade that are not stable with the intent on rebuilding the facade later.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

While I was driving through Columbus Park, I noticed a new infill house to the south of Garozzo's. Not what I would have put there. There is room for two or three townhouses on that parcel that could have had garages in the back and the front of the townhouses fronting the sidewalk.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:I drove by this morning and they were removing the corner of the building on the third floor on a part of the building where the facade had not collapsed. I don't know if this means they are demolishing the building, or just removing sections of the facade that are not stable with the intent on rebuilding the facade later.

Update: KMBC is reporting that the building will be demolished within 48 hours.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Don't want to denigrate anyone's opinion, but veneer vs. structural is a big deal, particularly when it comes to parapet walls. In my line of work, engineers are very easily swayed, as they should be.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Columbus Park building to be demolished after partial collapse

http://www.kmbc.com/news/partial-buildi ... l/40381488

Partially collapsed Columbus Park building set for demolition

In an email sent Wednesday night, KCMO Communications Director Chris Hernandez informed media that the building had been declared an emergency because of the “immediate threat of further collapse and imminent danger to the health, safety, and welfare of the public.” The specific issues cited in the decision included wet rot deterioration of the floors, the partial collapse, and the area of masonry being “severely out of plumb” and on the verge of collapse.

The city announced on Thursday morning that demolition prep work was already underway. Additionally, the city indicated that the property had been the subject of three property nuisance cases since 2008. The first occurred in June of 2008, and was related to water being diverted onto a neighboring property. That case was closed in July of 2009. The second case opened in June of 2013 and initially involved trash and weeds, but an initial inspection uncovered 15 further violations – including not structurally sound, rotting boards, peeling paint, ceiling in disrepair, and floor in disrepair. After multiple summons and callbacks, the violations were ultimately abated and the case was closed in November of 2015. The third case, first related to trash and broken windows but later expanded to include a collapsed retaining wall, was opened in February of 2016. That case was still pending at the time of the collapse, with a court date scheduled for August 4, 2016.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=32526
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Columbus Park property owner halts demolition, working to save partially collapsed structure

It appears there has been a reprieve for the collapsed building on the northeast corner of Harrison and Missouri. The owner has received a restraining order to halt demolition so that he may stabilize and renovate the structure.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/?p=32842
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The owner is a slumlord. Many people have tried to buy that building, all with the intentions of saving it. He did the same thing about 15 years ago, when the parapet on the top of the building across from Garrozo's on the NW corner of Harrison and Missouri collapsed. He was historically spent nothing on any of his buildings, unless forced to. He should be in jail. No one in the neighborhood who knows him believes anything he says.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Bummer. Just a matter of time then.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:The owner is a slumlord. Many people have tried to buy that building, all with the intentions of saving it. He did the same thing about 15 years ago, when the parapet on the top of the building across from Garrozo's on the NW corner of Harrison and Missouri collapsed. He was historically spent nothing on any of his buildings, unless forced to. He should be in jail. No one in the neighborhood who knows him believes anything he says.
How was the building across from Garrozo's eventually saved? It looks great now.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Ben Sundemeier (R.I.P.) bought it and did an excellent rehab.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:Ben Sundemeier (R.I.P.) bought it and did an excellent rehab.
It is a beautiful rehab. I would really like to purchase (or at least inspect) 912 E Missouri. My untrained eye suggests the lean in its balconies is growing more pronounced. I fear its days are numbered.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:
It is a beautiful rehab. I would really like to purchase (or at least inspect) 912 E Missouri. My untrained eye suggests the lean in its balconies is growing more pronounced. I fear its days are numbered.
I've seen a lot of buildings where the balconies or deck leans and the building is sound, they just cheaped out on the hardware that connects the two.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
smh wrote:
I've seen a lot of buildings where the balconies or deck leans and the building is sound, they just cheaped out on the hardware that connects the two.
I'll just draw a quick picture of what these balconies look like relative to the building:

|
\
/
|

8-[
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Cheap out, bro.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New building on the SE corner of 5th and Troost.