1900 Grand Blvd

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

1900 Grand Blvd

Post by normalthings »

Saw this on the AREA website. Anyone know more?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 1900 Grand Blvd

Post by flyingember »

This is replacing Bob Jones Shoes building and their parking lot.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hopefully designed in a way to accommodate a tall tower in the future.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:41 pm Hopefully designed in a way to accommodate a tall tower in the future.
Or medium density construction in the surrounding blocks.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Ugh - I know it fills a need, blah blah blah, but unless those panels light up or spit out money, that's pretty bad.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

kcjak wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:47 pm Ugh - I know it fills a need, blah blah blah, but unless those panels light up or spit out money, that's pretty bad.
If it is any consolation, I've heard a substantiated rumor that a significant development is in the works for the surface lot to the east.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

There is no development on the Assurant lot across Grand that could justify building a standalone garage like this. Have we learned nothing.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:41 pm Hopefully designed in a way to accommodate a tall tower in the future.
Zoning allows for a maximum 130'
smh wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:54 pm There is no development on the Assurant lot across Grand that could justify building a standalone garage like this. Have we learned nothing?
The Assurant lot is zoned for up to ~1,000,000 SQFT of floor space. Something like that obviously isn't likely but it could justify a garage such as this one.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Parking just one block from the street car (ugh, two words)! Like it's a plus? These people...

It's also hideous.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

8 floors, 87'
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Also right by the brand new Corrigan garage which never appears full
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:55 pm
smh wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:54 pm There is no development on the Assurant lot across Grand that could justify building a standalone garage like this. Have we learned nothing?
The Assurant lot is zoned for up to ~1,000,000 SQFT of floor space. Something like that obviously isn't likely but would justify a not terrible garage such as this one.
I have to respectfully disagree. We shouldn't be building standalone parking structures regardless of what is across the street. It is bad citybuilding. Put some parking on both sites if needed, but don't lump it all in one place. It isn't 2002.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So it's just a random garage for no reason? I don't get it. At least it has some retail.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Technically allowed by the zoning. We'll need to send comments to planning. Hopefully they will insist on changes (like eliminating the Grand entrance -- boulevard, hello?!?) and more retail sq footage. Maybe something besides shitty mesh to cover up the parking.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:32 pm Image
#-o #-o #-o

Ugly as hell
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

But you will be able to park your auto mobile next to the street car and go on ad ventures through out the city with out having to worry. Parking is very difficult and you people do not under stand that we are now evolved to the point that the only way we can possibly be comfort able with existing along side urban form is if we completely ruin it with hideous par king sewers.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

mean wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:47 pm But you will be able to park your auto mobile next to the street car and go on ad ventures through out the city with out having to worry. Parking is very difficult and you people do not under stand that we are now evolved to the point that the only way we can possibly be comfort able with existing along side urban form is if we completely ruin it with hideous par king sewers.
Tomorrow’s KC star editorial today.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:55 pm
Zoning allows for a maximum 130'
The Assurant lot is zoned for up to ~1,000,000 SQFT of floor space. Something like that obviously isn't likely but it could justify a garage such as this one.
300 parking spots wouldn’t come close to being enough in terms of what we know will be expected

For 30,000 sq feet we had 200 people at one job

This garage would just be the start if a million sq ft happens
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its the Shopper's Parkade from 10th & Grand reborn. Some things don't change in over 50 years. Bet this iteration crumbles into dust even sooner.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it is ugly, and not what I'd like to see there.

However, there could be a couple of things going on here.

1). There is a long-term plan for the area that includes several adjacent parcels. This garage is built first. It is designed to accept a tower on top later. In the mean time, once it's completed, it provides replacement parking for the entire block to the east while a building(s) being constructed. Once that block is developed, then a tower is constructed atop this garage.

Price Development owns the Assurant parking lot, so I assume they are planning something since they have done new-construction projects in KCMO already.

2). Same premise as No. 1, but the garage is being built to accommodate a new development on the same block, but west of the proposed garage -- across the alley were Farm to Market and Bearing Distributors are now. Those buildings are owned by the same entity. The proposed garage parcel appears to be owned by an LLC with a different address, but that could just be a law firm holding it for either Price Development, or the owner to the west.

This could be several parties working together with direction from the City, or completely without City participation. The only reason I say this is because when the retail building to the south (where SpiraCare is now) was a risk of demolition for additional parking for The Rockhill Grille, there was intervention to find a solution by getting the Assurant parking lot opened up to night parking for area businesses. That might have started a dialogue about how to share parking in the area.

If I were a developer, one of these two scenarios would be what I would be trying to do.

Or not. :lol:

I just hope the retail spaces on street level of the proposed garage are designed for kitchen infrastructure so there can be restaurants there.