1822 Main Redevlopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

1822 Main Redevlopment

Post by normalthings »

100 ft geotechnical coring is taking place at 1822 Main. Surface lot, 1822, and the connected low rise are all under the same ownership. Jon Stephens(Port KC) confirmed on Twitter that something is in the works.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kclightrail/ ... r%5Etweet
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 1822 Main Redevlopment

Post by earthling »

Found this from 2016, different plans now? Would hope for something more substantial...
Kansas City’s B&G Realty Investments has a contract to purchase two buildings at 1818 and 1822 Main St. — 6,000 square feet each — and will renovate them for retail, restaurant and office use.

“We are looking for a couple of nice upscale bars and restaurants, but also a deli,” said partner Mark Latshaw. “We think it is an up-and-coming area.”

The one-story building at 1818 Main St. had previously housed nightclub tenants. The two-story building at 1822 Main St. shows up in the city directory as the State Bank Building in 1918.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 38113.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:47 pm Found this from 2016, different plans now? Would hope for something more substantial...
Kansas City’s B&G Realty Investments has a contract to purchase two buildings at 1818 and 1822 Main St. — 6,000 square feet each — and will renovate them for retail, restaurant and office use.

“We are looking for a couple of nice upscale bars and restaurants, but also a deli,” said partner Mark Latshaw. “We think it is an up-and-coming area.”

The one-story building at 1818 Main St. had previously housed nightclub tenants. The two-story building at 1822 Main St. shows up in the city directory as the State Bank Building in 1918.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 38113.html
It is something more substantial. The property now shows up under HNM investments. The lots are zoned CX-15 which has a FAR of 15.0. A 100ft foundation would allow you to go vertical quite some distance.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Whatever they do, I hope they keep the facade of the State Bank Building and maybe use it as the entrance if they end up constructing a new building.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Three stories with underground parking. Based on that description, it's very unlikely the buildings would be kept.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What's up with these short buildings along streetcar.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 am What's up with these short buildings along streetcar.
Alleys and parking?

Doesn't take much height to build density.

But, yeah, you'd think one of the hottest submarkets would drive new construction higher since it's allowed.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 am What's up with these short buildings along streetcar.
Math

Banking, cost and rental rates don't support taller in general.

The average per floor cost jumps for lower floors too as it gets taller because there's less rentable space. You need more elevators, more plumbing, more stairwell space. So to make a taller project feasible the market needs to be able to handle higher rents because you have smaller units on average.

Then combine that with banking. The risk tolerance of a bank or credit worthiness of a developer means some will build a 5 story building because they can't get financing for 6.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There are many buildings 6+ floors built around metro often. The properties along streetcar are the most primo real estate in the metro. Sad to see it attracts such small developments. Was expecting more big ticket national developers to be lining up by now. There are some but not as many as I'd expect.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 am There are many buildings 6+ floors built around metro often. The properties along streetcar are the most primo real estate in the metro. Sad to see it attracts such small developments. Was expecting more big ticket national developers to be lining up by now. There are some but not as many as I'd expect.
15 floors at 15k sqft floor plates would require a 5 story parking garage.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

FangKC wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 pm Whatever they do, I hope they keep the facade of the State Bank Building and maybe use it as the entrance if they end up constructing a new building.

Yes, that must be kept. Anyone with taste would try to keep it.

Might have to launch another fight to save the facade as part of the project. :?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 am
earthling wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:42 am There are many buildings 6+ floors built around metro often. The properties along streetcar are the most primo real estate in the metro. Sad to see it attracts such small developments. Was expecting more big ticket national developers to be lining up by now. There are some but not as many as I'd expect.
15 floors at 15k sqft floor plates would require a 5 story parking garage.
I mentioned 6 but even if taller is another reason there needs to be city-owned mega garage(s) somewhere along streetcar line that would allow developers to build up along streetcar line w/out needing a garage, tenants can lease the city garage. I think the City Market overflow lot near Commerce Bank building is a city owned lot and is near Loop access. Not sure if any in Xroads within a block of streetcar.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I mentioned 6 but even if taller is another reason there needs to be city-owned mega garage(s) somewhere along streetcar line that would allow developers to build up along streetcar line w/out needing a garage, tenants can lease the city garage. I think the City Market overflow lot near Commerce Bank building is a city owned lot. Not sure if any in Xroads within a block of streetcar.
Folks paying the rents required for mid-rise new construction ($2/sf+) expect a parking space within the development, not leased garage space a block (or several) away, even if they are paying extra for the convenience. Might work better for office users.

EDIT: I do think, over the long term we'll see attitudes begin to change here. But in the here and now, in the midwest, I think we'll be hard pressed to see central parking garages work for residential development, especially higher end.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Downtown needs to decide if it wants to still cater to the car culture or not as a long term strategy. If truly seeking an urban strategy, focusing parking near freeway access points with transit/personal mobility access to rest of downtown is one strategy. Scooters make it even easier. And city-owned/TIF garages should be designed in a way to be repurposed to another use as metro transit improves and parking needs reduce (even if it takes 30-50 years).

The short term strategy should not be building 3 story buildings with underground garages, especially along streetcar line. It's a waste of such prime property in the bigger 30+ year picture.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I don't see how building a bunch of taxpayer-funded parking garages gets away from catering to the car culture. It makes things worse. If the city's going to be involved in parking, it should be coordinating shared parking for residential/office/retail and opening up every private parking space to be usable 24 hours a day instead of just by employees during office hours.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I think we should hold judgement until we see the actual proposal. I'm shocked a developer can build expensive underground parking and turn a profit with three floors on a relatively small lot. I'll believe it when I see it. Corrigan Station and Reverb have above ground parking. 1914 Main had ground floor parking w/ 44 units on 5 floors. City Club has below ground but 250 (or was it 350?) units to collect rent from plus a lot of retail square footage.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

My understanding is that part of the commercial space will be owner occupied (law firm, but not sure how reliable that info is).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’ve heard this project could change depending on if adjacent properties are also acquired.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:38 pm I’ve heard this project could change depending on if adjacent properties are also acquired.
Not shocking. Michael's won't sell, the parcels to the north are probably in play since MoBank sold out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Can we put a moratorium on these service (no sales tax) businesses snatching up the best quality development spaces.