Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by moderne »

Same architects as the new KU Med tower.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

moderne wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am Same architects as the new KU Med tower.
CannonDeisgn has designed some nice looking buildings. Hopefully this one looks just as good but as I stated earlier on, the colored image showing Loews, Two Light and the New Hotel just looks meh.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 pm
CannonDeisgn has designed some nice looking buildings. Hopefully this one looks just as good but as I stated earlier on, the colored image showing Loews, Two Light and the New Hotel just looks meh.
It's a rendering to show elevations, not the colors and texture.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Pretty sure the TIF request will get shot down. It's pretty laughable. Start over with a simple 75% abatement, perhaps.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The following is on the agenda for the TIF Commission's meeting tomorrow. I don't see any indication of the what the project might be, but I am guessing it is the Hotel Bravo. Or, is there another project in the works in the Performing Arts District TIF area?
Proposed Performing Arts District TIF Plan: Consideration of approval of a Funding
Agreement between the TIF Commission and Greenwood Management, LLC, in
connection with the implementation of the proposed Performing Arts District TIF Plan,
and other matters related thereto. (Wesley Fields) Exhibit 17

The TIF Commission received an application from Greenwood Management, LLC
(“Greenwood”) for a proposed Performing Arts District TIF Plan.

Greenwood has requested that the TIF Commission (1) prepare all necessary documents,
provide all statutory public notices and participate in a public meeting to consider the
proposed Performing Arts District TIF Plan (the “TIF Plan”) and take all action the TIF
Commission deems necessary to administer and assist in implementing the TIF Plan,
(2) prepare and negotiate a funding agreement, a redevelopment agreement and any and all
agreements, instruments and certificates and take all action that may be necessary or
reasonable to administer the implementation of the TIF Plan, including, but not limited to, the
performance of its obligations under the funding agreement and the redevelopment
agreement, and (3) reimburse Greenwood for all eligible certified redevelopment project costs
incurred by Greenwood, permitted by Real Property Tax Increment Allocation Act and
identified by the TIF Plan (collectively, the TIF Commission Services”). In order to do so,
the TIF Commission must retain administrative and professional staff, outside counsel and
consultants and incur expenses, but the TIF Commission is without a source of funds to pay
such staff, counsel, consultants and expenses.

Greenwood has requested that the TIF Commission enter into a Funding Agreement, which
describes the manner in which costs associated with the TIF Commission’s Services shall be
paid by Greenwood.

Enclosed in the TIF Commission’s Packet, as Exhibit 17 is a Funding Agreement by and
between the TIF Commission and Greenwood. The Funding Agreement contains the TIF
Commission’s most recent policies and procedures and has been reviewed and negotiated by
staff and legal counsel and we recommend its approval.

Action recommended: APPROVAL OF A FUNDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE TIF
COMMISSION AND GREENWOOD MANAGEMENT, LLC IN
CONNECTION WITH THE PROPOSED PERFORMING ARTS DISTRICT
TIF PLAN, IN A FORM SUBSTANTIALLY SIMILAR TO EXHIBIT 17
ATTACHED TO THE COMMISSION BOARD PACKET, SUBJECT TO
MODIFICATIONS APPROVED B Y THE CHAIR, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
AND LEGAL COUNSEL.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I can only find a “greenwood Hospitality” which is a group that specializes in high end hotels.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:25 am The following is on the agenda for the TIF Commission's meeting tomorrow. I don't see any indication of the what the project might be, but I am guessing it is the Hotel Bravo. Or, is there another project in the works in the Performing Arts District TIF area?
Anything new with this?
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Here's the latest update in cityscene.

https://cityscenekc.com/tif-commission- ... luctantly/

I'll have to admit it doesn't seem to make sense to grant a tax incentive but at the same time I think it would be great if this was built. Considering the timeline the developer mentioned at the end they plan to move aggressively if they get approved.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I love this project...except for the tax incentive. But the Phase 2 that extends west of Broadway to include renovation of the Qxotic building I don't think it warranted. With the Crossroads filling in and existing buildings being renovated, development is already creeping to the fringes, and the site south of Denny's is prime property (and a short four block walk from the streetcar).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Shouldn't be a TIF, especially if we weren't able to use it for the BNIM project (which had a clear public benefit with the storm water component).
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I love everything about this project, but they need to reduce their TIF request significantly. 50% for 10 years and 25% for the next 15 would be better, IMO
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I'd rather this was high end residential. The Walnuts and Alameda Tower equivalents for DT.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:35 pm I'd rather this was high end residential. The Walnuts and Alameda Tower equivalents for DT.
That makes no sense.

It's a regional destination that having hotel rooms serving it is important.
This encourages people to not get a car or not use it as much.
It's the ultimate access point to the PAC for front door to front door access.

A hotel is the best use of this spot.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The compromise, if it receives incentives, should be that the design allows for easy conversion to residential if a hotel occupant moves on 20 years from now.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

fyi; article in the kansas city business journal today if you have an account.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... s_headline

Basically, the developers' attornies will be making a case on 5/8 to receive tifs. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out considering all the recent rumblings about tifs.

Another interesting tidbit is that they said Hyatt would be managing this property.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Last edited by TheLastGentleman on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:23 pm Image
Design - Good
Plan - Not good. Politically, giving TIF to this project is a land mine. Financially, there are huge amounts of risk with the product. A super luxury hotel has huge risk in this market unless it’s coulled with luxury condo/apartment or a standard hotel.

Interesting note:ATchain is the Shanghai based visualization firm (render farm) that SOM, HNTB, Safdie, and Apple use.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is the subsidy for? Not parking I assume as they can use the empty Webster garage.

This doesn't need incentives imo but I hope it happens.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This has to be the most tone-deaf development proposal in recent history, even more so than the BNIM TIF.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Drury is right up there. At least they cut their losses.