Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm Creating that stair at the end of 17th Street, connecting Baltimore to the PAC is something I have envisioned for years! I'm glad it is part of this design.
You're not going to like to hear that they don't own the land the stairs would end up at and would need an easement to keep them usable
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I wonder if they are in Kahoots with the other property owner then. It makes no sense to build the stairs otherwise.

Since the hotel envisions leaving half the parcel as a green field, do you think there is some sort of phase 2? Any ideas for why the empty field would be left and what it would/could be used for?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:03 pm Since the hotel envisions leaving half the parcel as a green field, do you think there is some sort of phase 2? Any ideas for why the empty field would be left and what it would/could be used for?
I don't think there will be a Phase 2 of this hotel project. Maybe they are anticipating another development on that lot that they known but the public doesn't know. I could see another Hotel or a small office building on this corner just because of its proximity to the streetcar, Kauffman Center, Convention Center, the numerous new hotels built around the Kauffman Center in the last few years and the ever growing Crossroads district.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:02 pm The building has enough setbacks to make it interesting. Hope to see more developed, color renderings sometime soon. I would love to see those facade materials be terracotta.
I don't think that this will include any terracotta. Based on the story, Kevin Collison says, "The exterior would be mostly glass with some precast concrete. So nothing special going on there but the multple set backs are interesting. Also, this sort of refined rendering shows the building in context to nearby structures. So basically, I expect a design that is unique while using common materials in new hotels today. The design is intriguing but materials are "meh". Personally, I think the design needs a little more refinement because this reminds me of a spruced up Drury Inn at the KCPS Building. I would want to see some up close and colored renderings like the ones shared by TheLastGentleman before I critique the design anymore.

wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

no! parking! wooooo!!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The colored renderings look like absolute trash.(like Dreary In). However, the white renderings on the architects website actually look really nice. The hotel looks like the convention hotel from the east, the Center from the south, and somethinf complete unique from the west.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 pm The colored renderings look like absolute trash.(like Dreary In). However, the white renderings on the architects website actually look really nice. The hotel looks like the convention hotel from the east, the Center from the south, and somethinf complete unique from the west.
The architect's drawings look a bit like something the early modern movement would've produced. I love the massing
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 pm The colored renderings look like absolute trash.(like Dreary In). However, the white renderings on the architects website actually look really nice. The hotel looks like the convention hotel from the east, the Center from the south, and somethinf complete unique from the west.
I really hope the design isn't refined to be more "cost effective".
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Not saying it is or is not worth it, but will this require the demolition of any buildings on Baltimore?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

missingkc wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:56 pm Not saying it is or is not worth it, but will this require the demolition of any buildings on Baltimore?
Empty lot.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:45 pm
I really hope the design isn't refined to be more "cost effective".
I laughed
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

So, I think it looks good and they seem to all be pros.

I disagree with the debate about having bigger rooms. Most companies have rentals that put up anyone that will be there for extended amounts of time.

For typical business travelers, you want everything to be taken care of. Breakfast and coffee in the morning, concierge, and bar/food. You're expensing everything.

If your company can't afford these rates, you're staying at a Marriott courtyard somewhere already.

The ambassador seems to be doing well enough to expand, and this is what they do (including no parking. Everyone arrives by a driver or pays for valet.)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Everybody keeps saying "no parking" this hotel is being built next to an underutilized garage. I'm sure it will use/share that garage. Valet could even use the PAC garage. If that garage was not there, this hotel would likely have it's own parking structure which would probably make the project financially unworkable without more aggressive incentives.

It's great to see development like this taking advantage of existing under utilized parking.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Also, the Amabassador did have parking and is getting a garage with the expansion.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

^Ambassador's garage is basically the podium for the room tower above. Surprisingly there is only room for 8-9 cars in there. It's not that deep. Parking will still be to the east on surface.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Any rumors about what my go on the empty lot between this hotel and Loews?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Taco bell
mykn

Post by mykn »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 amTaco bell
w/ drive through
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Am I wrong to assume that Shirley is involved in this hotel somehow? She has the garage and the lot to the east, no?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm Everybody keeps saying "no parking" this hotel is being built next to an underutilized garage. I'm sure it will use/share that garage. Valet could even use the PAC garage. If that garage was not there, this hotel would likely have it's own parking structure which would probably make the project financially unworkable without more aggressive incentives.

It's great to see development like this taking advantage of existing under utilized parking.
I'll just point out that i said, "no new parking will be constructed" 8)