Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Post by horizons82 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:07 am From that video, it appears Copaken wants to close McGee from 12th to 13th streets, and create a superblock.
That definitely seems to be the case. I’d be receptive to making that block of McGee pedestrian only, but having the whole thing raised up like that is a no-go. By doing that they’ve effectively killed off any pass-thru traffic. People aren’t going to climb some giant staircase just to go right back down one on the other side.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:07 am From that video, it appears Copaken wants to close McGee from 12th to 13th streets, and create a superblock.
Hard pass. Stop F'in with the grid. I'd rather see a honky tube than that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 am
Hard pass. Stop F'in with the grid. I'd rather see a honky tube than that.
The grid is already broken there. McGee doesn't cross I-70. Sure, they *could* keep the street open but if they were willing to actually build something that required it be closed due to the scale it wouldn't be the worst spot.

The plan in the video does not require it be closed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'm open to closing the block to automobiles, but it should remain and at-grade public space.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The street grid being screwed up by one mistake shouldn’t be the pretext for screwing it up further.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

McGee was vacated for Sprint Center, the block just adjacent, so no big deal if it is obliterated. North of 12th it has the appearance and function of a service alley in itself. Further down it also was vacated at Crown Center years ago. Now south of CC it is McGee Trafficway, that really goes nowhere.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You guys are acting like something is actually going to be built on this lot once it’s torn down, even discussing the street grid. Nothing will happen. It will be torn down and nothing built in my lifetime. If there was demand, the spiral building would have taken shape 3+ years later. Surprising to me to hear lots of calls here for it to be torn down, that it’s ugly or has too much of a setback. Our entire DT is one giant setback! At least handle the magnitude of empty lots before replacing this building. And if you scream for affordable housing but tear down a building because it doesn’t look pretty, you’re part of the problem.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Downtown can’t afford to tear down much. The people on this forum should know that better than anyone
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree. We shouldn't be tearing down any building that size unless there is a financed replacement that is much, much denser, and approved. Even then, shouldn't we be building those projects on an already-cleared lot?

My position on this is that the tower should be renovated for housing with an affordable portion included. It is not a good idea to make the entire building affordable--unless everyone is on-board with large subsidies. It's still better to mix up the income levels.

The former library space could probably be renovated into office space. Leave the closest attached garage, and tear down the garage furthest south on the block and replace that with a new building.

I also think McGee should be left in place. I have no problem with it as a pedestrian street. Copaken, if you are reading, I also think the 1210 McGee building should remain. It's a nice little retail building. I've alway suspected Louis Curtiss designed it, because he designed several buildings around that intersection.

If you build a project on that block, perhaps you could build cantilevered over part of 1210 McGee to increase the square footage. Here is an example:

https://socketsite.com/archives/2017/05 ... lding.html

I think the strategy should continue to be increasing the resident population of Greater Downtown instead of waiting for big office projects to come. If that does eventually happen, there are other places to build large office buildings.

If in doubt, go for the residential.

If we use "the building is ugly" as a standard, we'll be tearing down hundreds of functional buildings.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Well said.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

McGee north of the Sprint Center is a neighborhood street and that’s fine. It lets local traffic avoid Grand and Oak. It could be livened up a bit, sure. It doesn’t need to be truncated any more.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

This is being demolished.

I hope they can save this mosaic

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Why is it being demolished? I thought they decided against that
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

what's the plan to replace this? is this going to be another surface lot?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:15 pm Why is it being demolished? I thought they decided against that
Only interior demo has been approved so far.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I would expect something to be proposed for this parcel sooner rather than later. Hopefully it's good in design.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 pm
Riverite wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:15 pm Why is it being demolished? I thought they decided against that
Only interior demo has been approved so far.
It looks like the demoers are not from this area. After look at their websites it is my bet that a ton of remediation work is going on inside.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

I would guess lots of asbestos considering the construction date of the building. Would like to see it repurposed with additional construction on the south end of the block.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Twitter reports that exterior demo has commenced. Only an interior demolition permit has been issued thus far.