OFFICIAL - Hyatt House (900 Broadway)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OFFICIAL - Hyatt House (900 Broadway)

Post by mean »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:54 pm It will be nice to finally have a hyatt back in Central KC. Think the only other one is in Lenexa
There is another Hyatt Place near I-29 and Barry Road, although Hyatt Place's aren't really proper Hyatts... I think they're all franchises and offer minimal services. Sort of the Holiday Inn Express tier of luxury hotel.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

kboish wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am new on the development tracker- a proposed 12-13 story Hyatt Hotel on a current parking lot at 900 Broadway.

I like it. It will add density and help add to the street wall. The building also helps contrast historic buildings. However, only thing that bugs me about the design is the almost bare wall past the blue line in the rendering. I know it probably has something to do with the rooms on the other side but it wouldn't kill them to do something there. Add in a mural or something.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:35 pm To be clear though, these guys own a lot caddycorner from the building that they plan to build an *automated* garage on, from what I've been told.
Where caddycorner? On broadway? I don't see where a garage would fit or a parcel that shows the same owner.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Impressive there is zero parking given several blocks away from streetcar. Hope to see other developers recognize this and follow suit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Caddycorner is a DST building. Directly across Broadway is probably where...it's an empty lot there beside subway
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Rubber Stamp
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Proposed: Hyatt House Hotel- 900 Broadway

Post by beautyfromashes »

these are the types of developments we’ve been waiting decades for. Build ten more like it as apartments with no parking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Condos
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm
smh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:35 pm To be clear though, these guys own a lot caddycorner from the building that they plan to build an *automated* garage on, from what I've been told.
Where caddycorner? On broadway? I don't see where a garage would fit or a parcel that shows the same owner.
Unfortunately I missed the meeting where they discussed the parking. But the story was they were going to build an automated garage on a nearby lot. I had the impression it was the parking lot to the SW but that doesn't make sense as its for the QH townhomes/condos. What about that crap garage north of the peanut? As with anything, I could be mistaken. Perhaps they're just valeting in area garages--but this was what I was told in a meeting summary.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:52 am
kboish wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:15 pm
Unfortunately I missed the meeting where they discussed the parking. But the story was they were going to build an automated garage on a nearby lot. I had the impression it was the parking lot to the SW but that doesn't make sense as its for the QH townhomes/condos. What about that crap garage north of the peanut? As with anything, I could be mistaken. Perhaps they're just valeting in area garages--but this was what I was told in a meeting summary.
Collison is now reporting they will have a valet service to nearby under utilized garages.

He also reported that they will be requesting 10 yr, 100% abatement followed by 15 yr 37.5% abatement.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I was thinking they would use the DST garage on the corner of 9th and Washington (815 Washington garage).

Since this developer is the same one that is redeveloping the 400 block of Delaware and Wyandotte in the River Market, I wonder if he is not planning to do the hotel at that location, which was mentioned in his earlier proposal for that site?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:57 pm I was thinking they would use the DST garage on the corner of 9th and Washington (815 Washington garage).

Since this developer is the same one that is redeveloping the 400 block of Delaware and Wyandotte in the River Market, I wonder if he is not planning to do the hotel at that location, which was mentioned in his earlier proposal for that site?
Isn't that Craig Slawson? I think this Hyatt project is a different developer.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

"He also recently bought a building in the River Market at 415 Delaware."
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:33 pm "He also recently bought a building in the River Market at 415 Delaware."
Sure but that's different than redeveloping a whole block.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

sounds like a different developer: Scott Pedersen of Boulder-based Pedersen Development
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

smh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:43 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:33 pm "He also recently bought a building in the River Market at 415 Delaware."
Sure but that's different than redeveloping a whole block.
Yeah, I know nothing about it. But since they've already bought three buildings, it seems reasonable.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it is a different developer. I was thrown off because they both are from Colorado. Pedersen Development owns 415-17 Delaware, across the street from Slawson's proposed development.

Since Pedersen is demonstrating a willingness to build projects on parking lots, and use nearby alternative parking, maybe he will do that on each side of the 415 Delaware building after the City Market garage is built--if that TOD project ever happens.

The parcels in red are those that might be developed by Pedersen. The ones with blue outline are those he already owns.

That grassy parcel had a development plan at one time that never panned out.

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1 ... k+Delaware
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

This project is on next week's LCRA docket.

KCDowntown
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 08220.html
The hotel was approved for a 100 percent abatement for 10 years that would drop to 37.5 percent for another five years after that.

The board also granted a sales tax exemption on construction materials, and developers will seek funds from a community improvement district that would have to be approved by the city.

Colorado developer Scott Pedersen is planning to spend $39 million building a 13-story, 153-room hotel on what is now a surface parking lot at 900 Broadway. To him, Kansas City is what Denver was seven or 10 years ago, he said, pointing to the growth in downtown Kansas City population.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Denver's downtown population was quite a bit higher than KC's ten years ago. We still have a ways just to hit critical mass, considered to be about 35K-40K. Or at least in past that was considered sweet spot to attract most any retailer. But in this age of online shopping and everything is a service past milestones maybe don't have as much meaning.

So with all the hotels, more than I can keep track of, how many hotel rooms will downtown have when all of these are complete. Over 8K?