OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by kboish »

I really think the term crossroads "traditionalist" is hilarious. People come up with all sorts of ways to not call themselves NIMBY.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I really and truly believe that sooner or later, Copaken is going to build on this entire block. The have Corrigan 1 and have 2 is being built then you have this. On a note regarding architecture, I like it and It has a more tamed feel of a Studio Gang project. As for the Crossroads "traditionalists", they will have to learn that with growth comes new construction. Not everything can be 3 floors. If there is demand for a new building of more height than 3 floors, guess what, buildings taller than 3 floors will be proposed.

On a slightly related note, I live in St. Louis and this seems lie the sort of thing that would be built in the Central West End. To me, the Crossroads will become an area like the CWE with tons of density, construction, a place where old and new things blend and be full of shops and restaurants. The streetcar also helps this, so the Crossroads area is a very favorable spot for this kind of stuff.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

If my calculations are correct, absolutely nothing of importance will be obscured by this building when viewed from liberty memorial.

I'm sure that's a relief to everyone
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That's too bad. Something needs to break up the MCW (Monotonous Cordish Wall) in progress.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Same architect as H&R Block.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

These comments are interesting.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:I really think the term crossroads "traditionalist" is hilarious. People come up with all sorts of ways to not call themselves NIMBY.
You’re welcome. Sometimes I try not to insult my neighbors.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 1800 Walnut

Post by GRID »

I love everything about this project. Nice design! The city should basically rubber stamp this as far as the design and height goes. Hopefully the street interaction is good.

It's interesting that this project has come out of nowhere and could break ground many months before Three Light.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This one’s a homerun!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote:I love everything about this project. Nice design! The city should basically rubber stamp this as far as the design and height goes. Hopefully the street interaction is good.

It's interesting that this project has come out of nowhere and could break ground many months before Three Light.
It’s interesting how this looks so much better.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

This project is a wonderful surprise. Unique, dynamic design (though looking forward to more detailed renderings/additional angles), the perfect location, an interesting unit mix. BUILD IT NOW.

It's frustrating that there is "any" negative discussion re: potential height, on a 14-story building going up on a surface lot downtown. If anything, it would be great to see more larger structures in the xroads creating a spine along Main and Grand from the loop to CC. I mean this is not an especially tall building, particularly in relation to the adjacent Corrigan Station.

Also, here's hoping to seeing continued use of progressive design in new-construction deals downtown/plaza. Quite refreshing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Today it was described as a "joint venture" with Burns & McDonnell and a "design build" project. I'm guessing B&M is putting in some equity?
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

DaveKCMO wrote:Today it was described as a "joint venture" with Burns & McDonnell and a "design build" project. I'm guessing B&M is putting in some equity?
I work there. I don’t think we are putting in any equity that I know of so I’m interested by that comment.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

jasty5 wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:Today it was described as a "joint venture" with Burns & McDonnell and a "design build" project. I'm guessing B&M is putting in some equity?
I work there. I don’t think we are putting in any equity that I know of so I’m interested by that comment.
Equity in exchange for design/ build services?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Pretty sure this will be built. Apparently doesn't need Council approval.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:Pretty sure this will be built. Apparently doesn't need Council approval.
I thought all projects over a certain dollar value had to get CPC/Council approval. Am I mistaken? Surely this one would qualify.

Regardless, it should get Ushered (see what I did there) through the process as speedily as possible.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Not necessarily. CPC is about zoning exceptions so if they follow zoning there's alternative ways defined

88-517-03 - EXEMPTION

The development plan review procedures of this article do not apply to development of single family detached houses or any developments for which plans have been reviewed and approved pursuant to the urban redevelopment, master planned development, or other equivalent development plan procedures of this zoning and development code. This provision is intended to clarify that development plan review is not required for projects that have received equivalent review through the city's other plan review procedures.

Implemented/updated in Oct 2017
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Alright
miz.jordan17
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by miz.jordan17 »

Does anyone have more news on this project?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

miz.jordan17 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 am Does anyone have more news on this project?
The neighborhood isn't holding it up.