OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by FangKC »

Copaken Brooks Starts Work on Crossroads Apartment Tower

Construction of a 14-story apartment tower called REVERB at 18th and Walnut kicked off today, according to a release from Copaken Brooks.

The $40 million project, first reported last June by CityScene KC, is expected to be completed in the summer of 2020. Copaken Brooks said local engineering firm Burns & McDonnell will partner to design and build the project.
The building will contain 132 units atop a two-story, above ground parking garage. With a commitment to make the housing economical for renters, 10 percent of the units will meet Kansas City’s affordability standards, according to the release.

An additional 2,000 square feet of retail/other commercial space will be located on the ground level, including space for food trucks outside and a sidewalk park.

Perched above the apartment units will be a penthouse level with a public, rooftop bar and a private outdoor terrace and lounge.

https://cityscenekc.com/copaken-brooks- ... zOzUHV1kuw
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

All caps?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It appears that the orange/copper façade was kicked out for silver. Some balconies were also eliminated. AND the right side of the building lost it's wavy effect. Hopefully the stepping side is a stunner since this project's "wow" factor greatly diminished in my mind. At least they are making sure we know so we don't get a surprise.

Old...

New...
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Loss of the waves is a real loss. It appears surface detailing may have disappeared from the west side, too. The design has gone from exciting to another glass building. Is that the price of providing affordable housing in market rate buildings?
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 1800 Walnut

Post by grecobs »

Not exactly the building it could have been but is still a huge urban infill project. 18th Street is quickly becoming a dense, fun, walkable part of the XRoads. Cannot wait to see what happens when this project comes to life along with City Club nearby.

Combined, both projects will add 550+ housing units of housing for roughly 1k+ new DTKC residents. BOOM.
hgascoigne
Supporter

Post by hgascoigne »

This seems to be a trend for Copaken. Arterra underwent a similar cheapening at the very last minute as well.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

hgascoigne wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 pm This seems to be a trend for Copaken. Arterra underwent a similar cheapening at the very last minute as well.
Hopefully Strata doesn't get revised since Copaken has their hand in it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Still looks better than arterra. The rendering is also less deceptive, so I think what we're seeing is what we're getting
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

i like this version much better.
maybe they will add a funky art mural at ground level.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

The waves on the side of the building added character. from walnut it will look like another glass rectangle. I don't like the downgrades.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I wish this had been bigger at three sections over the garage instead of two, with the overhanging sections over the alley.
cardium
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cardium »

Crew was on site today stripping asphalt.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This morning:

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

glad to see the sidewalk already blocked. No reason to even give us a glimmer of hope
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm glad to see the sidewalk already blocked. No reason to even give us a glimmer of hope
They are reconstructing all of the sidewalks on the site. I recommended that city staff keep both pedestrian paths open on 18th and reduce to a single car travel lane, but you know how that went...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't even know why we bothered getting the sidewalk closure ordinance approved sometimes.

Totally understand they need/should rebuild the sidewalks...I question their need for the sidewalk AND both eastbound lanes. I know you try on these things and it's appreciated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As an aside, does anybody know the fee for closing the sidewalk for construction? How about lane of traffic for the same amount of time?

I feel we could bump up both of these fee schedules and stop a lot of this unnecessary taking of public ROW
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

City code 70-39. It falls under a traffic control permit.

I'm assuming 100 feet closed

A 100 foot section of sidewalk is 0.67 per 20 feet for $3.35 per day. That's the value of every pedestrian who uses that block to the city.
If they close a lane of road too it drops to $1.67 per day.

For the road cost it's complex enough I'm not certain, there's adjustments for parking meters or lack thereof, alleys, number of lanes, if you open the road early one day, bus stops

I think the adjustments are added onto the amount.
0.16 per mile + 0.45 for the lane closure + 0.56 for a two-way road + 1.68 for the alley + 3.05 for the parking lane = $5.90 per day.

So their total cost should be around $7.57 per day + $86 application cost. For a 30 day closure that's all of $313. That's a rounding error for a project that big.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ridiculous
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Any foundation work yet on this one?