OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by FangKC »

AlbertHammond wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:17 am
tower wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 am Vancouver has a lot of larger apartment buildings especially in the less commercial part of their downtown that have apartments or condos on the ground floor that open directly to the street (higher levels have their own entrance) Is there something in the US zoning code that prevents this? It usually requires a setback for privacy, but it is a pretty good pedestrian experience.
Great example. There is nothing that prohibits this in the U.S. (though K.C's archaic code may not allow it). Residential uses on the ground floor are a great way to activate the street. If people fear that no one would rent/buy those units, then they might be designated as "affordable" units.
Doesn't the Graphic Arts Building at 10th and Wyandotte have two apartments that have their own doors to the street? I remember the corner unit was an apartment after they did the residential conversion. Are they still apartments, or are they now the rental office?

https://tinyurl.com/y7h5zeyd

The Opera House Lofts at 10th and Broadway also have individual apartment entrances on the street.

https://tinyurl.com/y9t8h6v7

I believe that the Butler Brothers Lofts at 804-808 Broadway also have one apartment that has its' own entrance. Am I wrong about this?

https://tinyurl.com/y9vp2nrm
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 1800 Walnut

Post by tower »

FangKC wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:26 pm
AlbertHammond wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:17 am
tower wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 am Vancouver has a lot of larger apartment buildings especially in the less commercial part of their downtown that have apartments or condos on the ground floor that open directly to the street (higher levels have their own entrance) Is there something in the US zoning code that prevents this? It usually requires a setback for privacy, but it is a pretty good pedestrian experience.
Great example. There is nothing that prohibits this in the U.S. (though K.C's archaic code may not allow it). Residential uses on the ground floor are a great way to activate the street. If people fear that no one would rent/buy those units, then they might be designated as "affordable" units.
Doesn't the Graphic Arts Building at 10th and Wyandotte have two apartments that have their own doors to the street? I remember the corner unit was an apartment after they did the residential conversion. Are they still apartments, or are they now the rental office?

https://tinyurl.com/y7h5zeyd

The Opera House Lofts at 10th and Broadway also have individual apartment entrances on the street.

https://tinyurl.com/y9t8h6v7

I believe that the Butler Brothers Lofts at 804-808 Broadway also have one apartment that has its' own entrance. Am I wrong about this?

https://tinyurl.com/y9vp2nrm
Good to know that it seems to be viable in the KC market.

It would be nice if buildings were built with that kind of flexibility today, but today's retail spaces are more specially designed for retail. Also, even if a develper couldn't find a tenant for the retail space, they wouldn't convert it to ground level residential because a building is worth more with a retail storefront, even if there is no rent being collected. That is another potential problem- too much ground level retail space.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Put some amenities on the ground level, like the gym, or lounge. While it isn't going to pull in people off the street it definitely is more engaging than just a wall
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tower wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:06 am It would be nice if buildings were built with that kind of flexibility today, but today's retail spaces are more specially designed for retail. Also, even if a develper couldn't find a tenant for the retail space, they wouldn't convert it to ground level residential because a building is worth more with a retail storefront, even if there is no rent being collected. That is another potential problem- too much ground level retail space.
Every block having one retail space per side of each block is potentially thousands of retail spaces downtown. The market wouldn't build that much long-term so the idea of space that could serve as either is logical.

Retail doesn't need much depth and most developers put in parking so put flex space hiding the garage that has a front and back door.

Plumbing becomes the hard thing to change but could easily design this floor over an underground garage or a crawl space to give access for this work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

CPC docket for 10/16:
4 JH 5. Case No. CD-CPC-2018-00153 – 1800 Walnut – A request to approve a 132-unit residential building with 2135 square feet of ground-level retail space in district DX-15 on about 0.24 acres generally located at southwest corner of 18th Street and Walnut Street.
Applicant: Kristine Sutherlin, Burns & McDonnell
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:12 am CPC docket for 10/16:
4 JH 5. Case No. CD-CPC-2018-00153 – 1800 Walnut – A request to approve a 132-unit residential building with 2135 square feet of ground-level retail space in district DX-15 on about 0.24 acres generally located at southwest corner of 18th Street and Walnut Street.
Applicant: Kristine Sutherlin, Burns & McDonnell
I can't ever find the CPC docket on data.kcmo anymore. Where did you find it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's on Google drive now. Have to follow link in planning department page. Annoying.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Some noisy Crossroads people -- not the association! -- are planning to testify in opposition at CPC tomorrow. Please show up if you can!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm Some noisy Crossroads people -- not the association! -- are planning to testify in opposition at CPC tomorrow. Please show up if you can!
Approved. Construction starts in November.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:19 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm Some noisy Crossroads people -- not the association! -- are planning to testify in opposition at CPC tomorrow. Please show up if you can!
Were any negotiations or changes had regarding the Walnut facade?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 am
I'm told two parking spaces were sacrificed to address the issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:41 am
smh wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:56 am

I'm told two parking spaces were sacrificed to address the issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well I'll be damned. Glad to hear it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hopefully there will be a plaque in their memory
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is a really nice project. So glad to see a modern highrise go up south of 670. I find it a bit odd that this project basically came out of nowhere and will start construction in November while Three light (which gets a free parking garage plus other incentives) keeps getting pushed back.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

I think there's probably something to be said about the complexity of incentives on the 1800 Walnut vs. the Cordish developments. Also, that there doesn't appear to be any overarching master development agreement (other than for the site itself) or other city/political entanglements that need to be dealt with.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This new residential tower at 1800 Walnut creates hope that might someday fill an obsession of mine. I want a new apartment building here.

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1 ... 57#p585057
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Kissick trucks on site today. My guess is they will start the moment the Council approval is final.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

Is there a date for the city council to act, or any other movement on this project yet? Love to have 10--15 more of these in the Crossroads/Eastside neighborhoods, half of which were office/office-retail like Corrigan Station.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

All approvals received.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Developer requested removal of some on-street parking to install a permanent parklet on Walnut. Might be minimized by the elimination of multiple curb cuts for the existing parking lot.