OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Re: OFFICIAL - Reverb (1800 Walnut)

Post by jasty5 »

I was able to confirm that BMcD has an equity stake but are keeping a low profile. Design work is progressing. Also saw other renderings which show good street interaction and it includes a rooftop pool and amenity space.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I was able to confirm that BMcD has an equity stake but are keeping a low profile. Design work is progressing. Also saw other renderings which show good street interaction and it includes a rooftop pool and amenity space.
Good info, thanks. Really looking forward to additional renderings.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Bizjournal article: Burns and McDonnell entering real estate development
The Kansas City-based firm, better known for engineering and architecture, initially will concentrate on distribution and logistics facilities — a portion of the market that’s exploding with the growth of online retailing. Leading the effort is Eric Buer, who helped establish a portfolio that included 27 million square feet of industrial projects for Tradebot Properties.

Buer said Burns & McDonnell is open to getting into projects as a developer, co-developer or investor. He’s focusing on projects that are 300,000 square feet or more on properties near transportation hubs. Geographically, Buer said he’ll look at markets in Texas, Arizona, Nevada and Pennsylvania, to name a few.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

A development plan has been submitted to the city. 134 Units, 14 stories, 160' tall. Includes plans for a rooftop bar and a coffee/donut shop on the main level.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 27ae818122

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Game of Tetris anyone?
smh
Supporter

Re: 1800 Walnut

Post by smh »

This is awesome, super pumped for this. I wish it were condominiums.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

What’s with the fortress wall at street level?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:22 am What’s with the fortress wall at street level?
I think those are the alley sides, right? Agreed the Walnut facade could be more transparent.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's awesome... Is the development map not being maintained with the move to compass?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Looks nice but that Walnut design is god awful, there should be activation along at least 50% of the streetfront. If it's left as is, coupled with the Corrigan garage, Walnut will be dead through there.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

While this building is awesome- I just don't get the ground level. So much whiff here. Can you really even call this mixed use?
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

It looks like it would have more street activation than Two Light. And even with all the frontages dedicated to nothing more than a facade for the parking garage, walking around these parts of Two Light has never struck me as "dead".
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

snigglefritz wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:20 pm It looks like it would have more street activation than Two Light. And even with all the frontages dedicated to nothing more than a facade for the parking garage, walking around these parts of Two Light has never struck me as "dead".
2 Light is basically fronted by the P&L District. I guess, technically, it’s address is in Truman Rd but not many people walk on the street next to the highway. 1800 is a highly visible location right in the heart of the Crossroads with retail and activity happening and more in the way. There’s no reason not to have better streetfront.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

2 light has active frontage the entire length of Truman and portions of both Grand and Walnut. This proposal has a portion of 18th street with a use and a tiny, tiny section of Walnut.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This image gives a better look at how little active use there is on the ground floor.

snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Thanks for posting the top-down of the ground floor. I agree that it probably could be utilized better but I'm not sure how that could be done without substantial changes to the makeup of the garage structure. As to Two Light, unless I'm missing something (or have a different definition of "active frontage"), the bulk of the Truman Rd. frontage is dead space aside from the residential lobby entrance. Is this potentially available for future leasing? I honestly haven't looked at it too closely.

https://ibb.co/kqNvNz
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

There's something in city code I couldn't find again that requires street space be active but it's based on having a minimum amount already setup with retail.

Classic chicken-egg problem.

Otherwise the goal is to hide the garage and have a blank wall.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

snigglefritz wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:59 pm Thanks for posting the top-down of the ground floor. I agree that it probably could be utilized better but I'm not sure how that could be done without substantial changes to the makeup of the garage structure. As to Two Light, unless I'm missing something (or have a different definition of "active frontage"), the bulk of the Truman Rd. frontage is dead space aside from the residential lobby entrance. Is this potentially available for future leasing? I honestly haven't looked at it too closely.

https://ibb.co/kqNvNz
I think active frontage would include lobby space.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Active frontage would qualify as habitable space for people with that's visible with either glazing or open-air. So lobbies, offices with clear windows, retail, patios, etc, would all work.

IMO, just reclaiming this small portion of the garage would do wonders for activation:

They could leave the transformer vault where it's at; and they wouldn't have to redesign their trash disposal. It's an easy change that'd cost only parking spots.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

"only parking spots"

Horizons82 in here trying to start a riot.