Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28616
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCPowercat » Mon May 21, 2018 9:08 am

Exciting ...collison has the story today too

https://twitter.com/kckansascity/status ... 08160?s=19

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by kcjak » Mon May 21, 2018 9:17 am

$7 million(ish) in subsidies over 25 years for the parking structure? :(

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2943
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by smh » Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am

$250k city contribution to the garage each year increasing 5% a year for 25 years to provide FREE evening and weekend parking? Have you absorbed none of the lessons KCMO?

*hits golf ball down the middle of Grand Boulevard*

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6774
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by flyingember » Mon May 21, 2018 12:40 pm

kcjak wrote:$7 million(ish) in subsidies over 25 years for the parking structure? :(
smh wrote:$250k city contribution to the garage each year increasing 5% a year for 25 years to provide FREE evening and weekend parking? Have you absorbed none of the lessons KCMO?
If this math is correct, it's absolutely not $7 million.

5% annual increases over 25 years each year is a total of
$11,931,774.70

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by kcjak » Mon May 21, 2018 2:03 pm

It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6774
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by flyingember » Mon May 21, 2018 4:15 pm

kcjak wrote:It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.
Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Enter $250k in A1, enter =A1*1.05 in A2 and fill down to row 25. Then use sum in A26 to get the total.
Takes 20 seconds.

User avatar
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by wahoowa » Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm

i think you forgot to adjust for future inflation to express in today-equivalent dollars though. everyone's wrong!!

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28616
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCPowercat » Mon May 21, 2018 6:08 pm

this is bad message boarding

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by kboish » Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 pm

KCPowercat wrote:this is bad message boarding
Not by my calculations

User avatar
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by wahoowa » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am

kboish wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:this is bad message boarding
Not by my calculations
=D>

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1904
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by kcjak » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 am

flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.
Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Enter $250k in A1, enter =A1*1.05 in A2 and fill down to row 25. Then use sum in A26 to get the total.
Takes 20 seconds.
I don't comment on here a lot, and this shitty, condescending attitude is why. No wonder fewer and fewer people are joining or commenting.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6774
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by flyingember » Tue May 22, 2018 12:03 pm

kcjak wrote:
flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:It was just a rudimentary calculation whith no time to sit and do all of the math. No need to be a dick about it but thanks for figuring it out to the last 70 cents.
Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Enter $250k in A1, enter =A1*1.05 in A2 and fill down to row 25. Then use sum in A26 to get the total.
Takes 20 seconds.
I don't comment on here a lot, and this shitty, condescending attitude is why. No wonder fewer and fewer people are joining or commenting.
You call me a dick after I give an accurate number to save everyone the time to figure it out and I have a bad attitude?

Yeah, that adds up...

Maybe don't assume everyone has a bad attitude and you'll have a better time. I don't assume everyone is a jerk or a troll and it works out better.

mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by mgh7676 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:59 pm

flyingember wrote:
kcjak wrote:
flyingember wrote: Should never have to sit down and figure numbers when there's free spreadsheet software available to do it for you.

Enter $250k in A1, enter =A1*1.05 in A2 and fill down to row 25. Then use sum in A26 to get the total.
Takes 20 seconds.
I don't comment on here a lot, and this shitty, condescending attitude is why. No wonder fewer and fewer people are joining or commenting.
You call me a dick after I give an accurate number to save everyone the time to figure it out and I have a bad attitude?

Yeah, that adds up...

Maybe don't assume everyone has a bad attitude and you'll have a better time. I don't assume everyone is a jerk or a troll and it works out better.
Save everyone the time? You only saved me twenty seconds.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16560
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue May 22, 2018 3:55 pm

I've asked the city manager (on Twitter, anyway) what the source of funds is. It seems odd to commit the city to this for 25 years with nary a word or action by the Council. I suspect it will come from "parking revenue" -- which is meter and ticket revenue. Irony noted!

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28616
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCPowercat » Tue May 22, 2018 4:33 pm

It just doesn't make any sense.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12905
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by FangKC » Tue May 22, 2018 6:47 pm

It makes sense long-term if the City is considering rebuilding the Barney Allis Plaza parking garage, or losing some of that parking to the UMKC campus. They will need to provide alternative parking for the convention hotels that use the BAP garage while a new garage is built, or if spaces are lost to the UMKC project.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16560
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 pm

FangKC wrote:It makes sense long-term if the City is considering rebuilding the Barney Allis Plaza parking garage, or losing some of that parking to the UMKC campus. They will need to provide alternative parking for the convention hotels that use the BAP garage while a new garage is built, or if spaces are lost to the UMKC project.
...but the city charges for Barney Allis Plaza parking.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by WoodDraw » Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Couldn't they make the money by charging for parking? Or at least a reasonable amount? Like, why free?

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28616
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCPowercat » Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 pm

exactly

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16560
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue May 22, 2018 9:02 pm

WoodDraw wrote:Couldn't they make the money by charging for parking? Or at least a reasonable amount? Like, why free?
Garages aren't profitable because of the initial cost + operating overhead. That's why they're often incentivized, municipally owned/managed, or dedicated to one user who can cover the losses.

Here's the city manager's response to how it would be paid for (sort of a non-answer): https://twitter.com/KCMOManager/status/ ... 2156352513

Post Reply