Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Muehlebach Hotel / KC Club Project

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:The wanting city help for free parking is less than awesome (it's actually quite bad) but the design is great.
Well, the free parking is stupid, that's for sure. I just think the overall design is pretty good. They could have easily just stuck a 3 story building on top of a garage and done this entire project in about half the height. It looks like there is a lot of finished interior space that is for architecture and aesthetics only. The leasable office space looks like it's only on the top three floors. Most of that space that wraps around the garage looks like public atriums etc. I'm sure it will turn out very different if built. But yeah, the city should make it known that free public parking is not a priority. I'm not even sure the surrounding hotels would be thrilled with a free parking option guests could take advantage of when they probably charge $20 a night.
Agreed
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

mgh7676 wrote:Could the free parking in this garage be used to help free up some of the parking costs associated with the BAP garage project?
Better to charge for parking and use that to reduce costs, either to the subsidy or BAP.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:Could the free parking in this garage be used to help free up some of the parking costs associated with the BAP garage project?
I'm sure that's how the developer "got the idea".
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In Kansas City Club redevelopment, high-end event space remains
The century-old building once home to the Kansas City Club is expected to be converted again to a hotel, but a 3-year-old event space that pays homage to the building's roots will remain.

Platform Ventures, which has an office in Fairway, plans to build a new high-end office building at 13th and Wyandotte streets, convert the upper floors of the old Kansas City Club building at 13th Street and Baltimore Avenue into a luxury hotel, and convert the Muehlebach building at 12th Street and Baltimore Avenue into apartments.

Brass on Baltimore offers high-end event spaces on the lower floors and roof of the old Kansas City Club building. General manager Deb Chatfield said the space hosts "tons of weddings, tons of corporate, special occasions." The premier rooftop space has floor-to-ceiling windows where guests can see a panoramic view of the Kansas City skyline.

Despite the conversion of the upper floors from lofts to luxury hotel rooms, Chatfield said the Brass on Baltimore would remain open. She said the owners and construction crews are "very adept at how they work on buildings in use."

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 75324.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would think all this event space around downtown would eventually transition to retail space as demand increases, at least some ground floor event space. Downtown has the lowest/best retail vacancy in the metro (consistently under 3%) so maybe sooner than later?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

earthling wrote:Would think all this event space around downtown would eventually transition to retail space as demand increases, at least some ground floor event space. Downtown has the lowest/best retail vacancy in the metro (consistently under 3%) so maybe sooner than later?
I think that right now we are at a weird point where suburbanites think it is too much of a pain to drive to downtown for retail, but it is too easy for downtown residents to drive to the suburbs for retail. We need more people and more congestion downtown before retail (and offices) really take off, imo
Last edited by tower on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

BUT SAVE THE NORTH LOOP!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So Ryan Maybee is dropping hints so guess it's official... This is coming to the old mulehach bar this winter

https://www.miraclepopup.com
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

They've done Miracle pop-ups the last couple of years in STL. Seems...trending, I guess. Would check it out.

Glad to see the Muelbach bar get some use!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guess this isn't officially done but leaning that way.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:59 am Image
Anything happening with this? I thought clearer renderings would've been posted by now. Either way, I like the building's design but something tells me this will be revised.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would think they’d want to build something taller on that lot
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Any bigger and they probably have to go looking for more parking spaces somewhere.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Residents are getting the boot out of club building in December. Kind of surprised they didn't do the apartments first so they could move their already obtained residents into that building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Docketed this week, referred to PZED committee:
180842- Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Tax Contribution Agreement with Platform Ventures LLC for the purpose of incentivizing the redevelopment of the historic Hotel Muehlebach and Kansas City Club buildings and certain other properties.
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Docum ... eTbac%2bL7
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I get my hair cut at the shop that's sandwiched between the Clubhouse and the Muehlebach, and they've been notified that the parking lot at 13th & Wyandotte will close permanently at the end of this month.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm ...the parking lot at 13th & Wyandotte will close permanently at the end of this month.
That's where the new office tower would go, right?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 pm
scooterj wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm ...the parking lot at 13th & Wyandotte will close permanently at the end of this month.
Yep. It was unclear though whether it's closing for site prep or to be a staging area for the work on the other two buildings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:47 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 pm
Yep. It was unclear though whether it's closing for site prep or to be a staging area for the work on the other two buildings.
Oh, I bet it's construction staging for the KC Club renovation. I didn't think the deal had been struck yet for the new office tower. Seems like we would have seen that confirmation since everyone's so hot to trot to make office "happen".
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Glad this project is real and not just vaporware. At least, from what we can tell.